loading your trophy

Since the vast majority of my hunting is done here at my place, I use the NYDAN method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Put a simple boat trailer winch (or electric) in the front of the truck bed. Use a couple of boards for a ramp. Winch him in. Simple and cheap.

Or ... lift the deer on a tree limb using a simple come-along and then back the truck's tailgate under the deer and lower. That's how my bears get loaded in Canada.

That makes me remember a boar of 200 lbs I had to load into a station wagon.
He was heavier than me.
I loaded him in a plastic box, but no way lifting him up.
In the end I went back to the box stand, got the plank used as a seat, leaned that on the bumper and pushed him in.
Sill consider to bet a wire basket that can be fixed to the tow-bar.

Or another car. But our fuel prices make pick-ups rather unattractive

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

This is how we set the hoist up. Weld 2 pieces of 2 1/4" square tubing to the bottom of the carrier. Hoist slides in the tubing the height is adjustable and it rotates.

Attachments

• 0302211730.jpg
    0302211730.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 866
Sako , that looks like it should work great for you . where does it turn , just below the winch ?

For years I had a 6 1/2' piece of 3/4" plywood in the back of my truck.
I would lean it against the tailgate, drag the animal up the plywood so that I could tie off the head with straps to hold it from sliding back down the plywood, then lift the plywood up level and push into the back of the pickup. Worked great by myself for deer and bears. Worked better with two people for moose and elk.

Have thought about building another more in mind like a board stretcher with runners and slots down the sides and ends for handles and tie down straps to secure the animal to the board, and make it easier for getting a better grip on the board and not pinching fingers/hands when loading into the truck and for removing from truck at destination. Just never quite got around to it. A winch or come-along at the front of the truck would definitely reduce the work when loading, especially when alone!

The het sled/calf sled idea has its merits for retrieving the animal from the brush by sliding on vegetation or snow. Although an axle and wheels, or two axles and larger wheels would make a great cart for sliding over rougher terrain. Also see how wheels would make it handier to load into/remove from the back of the truck too.

Back