Loc-tite delima......

A gunsmith friend told me how he fixes these problems with Loctite. He gets the wrench used for the screws and heats it up until its red on the end then he places it on the screws and holds for a while after two or three times he takes another wrench and tries to turn it, if it doesn't turn he continues the process and usually he says the Loctite breaks free. This will keep from placing any heat directly on the scope and rings. The worst case is you have ruined a wrench.

Called my gunsmith and asked him what to do about my trigger and he said 1 of 2 things which were pretty much already said here.

He said the only way is to put heat on the screws, (which was already said) but I dont have any means to do it, and I didn't really wanna chance it either. So thats not what I did.

The other way he said was to get a screwdriver, put it in the screw slot, and tap the screwdriver on top with a hammer. He said the impact may or may not break them loose. I decided to go this route and if this didn't work, I would break down and take it to him to figure out.

Well after a few attempts, I was able to get the engagement screw loose first, the other 2 screws ( over travel, and spring tension were much tougher) especially the overtravel.

Well after I got all 3 screws broke loose, I lightly oiled them and screwed them in and out to get the threads nice and lubricated.

After about 10 minutes, I got the trigger down to a crisp break at 1.5 lbs. Cant ask for much better then that!!!

Saved myself about $60 in the process to!!

Now about the ring screws, I absolutely cant break them loose and I"m not about to put heat around the scope. I think I'm going to take it to my dads and were just going to drill them out and I'll have to buy some new base/rings. Cost around $45, but I want my 6-18 w/turrets on here instead of the 4-12 w/out turrets.

Just thought I'd share the update!!

Remington _25_06

If you try what I posted earlier you will only be heating the screws by placing the wrench on them transferring the heat from the wrench to them, thus warming up the loctite and releasing it. I would at least try it. Like I said earlier all your out is a small hex wrench. Good luck.

Good choice on drilling out the screw.
You could use a drill the same size as the head of the screw and just remove the head. Then you could remove the cap and scope then heat the base to remove the remaining screw stud with a vice grip. You might get lucky and save your rings.
Good work with the Rem trigger. :)

Back