long range rangefinders

craiger40

Beginner
Aug 19, 2006
fellas,

Hey just thought i would post this here for a few obvious reasons. I am looking for a rangefinder that is capable of ranging out to 800yds on animals.
Iam not really looking to be hunting at that range but if i must i would like the equipment to do it with. I have a leupold rx-2 that i bought last year and used but i ran into a few long range problems but it worked really good otherwise. I want one that works alittle further. So fellas if i could pick your brains and get your opinions i would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

I have a bushnell yardage pro.
I get good readings out to 400yds and inconsistant readings farther out.
I think I have got a reading close to 800yds once or twice.
I have found that the heavier the rain the less effictive it is.
I would like to get a pair of Leica bino's with the laser range finder built in. 8)
They cost as much as a new rifle :cry:

There are only a few range finders that will range nonreflective targets out to 800 or more. In the $400 - $500 dollar range the Nikon Monarch 1200 will do it, but the glass doesn't bring in much light. The Bushnell 1500 will do it as well (I have no experience with them). in the $600 dollar range The Leica 1200 crf or Lrf will do it a little better than the previous two, but the glass is top notch (This is the one I'm saving up to replace my current Nikon 800).

King of the afordable ones is the Swarovski 8x30 1600 yard range finder for a wopping $900. Stay away from ATN, Newcon and any others that claim to range better for less. Newcon makes a good range finder, but the good ones are much more expensive.

I use the Swarovski. It's a really impressive instrument, fully capable of ranging well beyond 1500 yards and the optics... Well, they're as good as you'd expect of Swarovski. Yes, expensive. Yes, worth it. There are however other good options.

Here's the best article I've ever read about rangefinders from our friends over at 6mmBR.com:

http://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html

Regards, Guy

Most of the Internet buzz goes to the Leica laser rangefinders, but I have been limping along with an older Nikon 800 yd unit. For example it will range antelope to about 310 yards, and then gets flaky (or the operator does). So for further on small targets I range terrain features or whatever else is at the same range as the animal.

I have put the Leica CRF 1200 on my "buy" list, but I have not got 'round2it yet. Maybe after I get all the licenses for this year paid for.

jim

I have a leica 1200 the problem is the target at that distance needs to be in the right light and also you better be rock steady to get an accurate reading at that range. Round bales and buildings are tough but to range a deer or a coyote at 1200 you need to be very,very steady to be accurate, I find the best true accuracy comes under 800 yards for me with both elbows on the solid ground.
I'm curious how can one range with accuracy to 1300 yards with a 1200 max yard range finder?

The leica is a nice range finder and so are the bino/range combo for 2200.00, but a friend has the leupold rnage/bino combo and far cheaper and works pretty good, not the glass of the leica but 1/3 or less the cost.

I have a Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30. Great unit. I have lasered trees at 1744 yds, just under 1 mile away with excellent repeatability.

Go with the Swaro and don't look back.

JD338

I've got a Bushnell Elite 1500, works out to 600 or 700 yds although I didn't go and physically check the ranges, it doesn't work well in low light conditions. That is, compared to a decent riflescope.

CC

swarovski 1500.

everything else is sub par...............

coyotetrapper":1ynwut8l said:
I have a leica 1200 the problem is the target at that distance needs to be in the right light and also you better be rock steady to get an accurate reading at that range. Round bales and buildings are tough but to range a deer or a coyote at 1200 you need to be very,very steady to be accurate, I find the best true accuracy comes under 800 yards for me with both elbows on the solid ground.
I'm curious how can one range with accuracy to 1300 yards with a 1200 max yard range finder?

The leica is a nice range finder and so are the bino/range combo for 2200.00, but a friend has the leupold rnage/bino combo and far cheaper and works pretty good, not the glass of the leica but 1/3 or less the cost.

I don't know but it read 1300 yards. It has been really reliable unless there is fog. This is a problem if you hunt on the Oregon coast. It has a real problem in the fog. It will range something that is 300 yards and say it is 700. This is also true with the Lieca rangefiner bino's. I would personally opt for the swaro's if I had to do it again. But other than the fog they work great. And you do have to have a rest to lean on to get readings way out there.

The leica is a nice unit and works for what I need it for sure! The thing is why would most need to range something at 1000+yrds unless your shooting a 20lb rifle or have it in a vice? The highest majority won't pull off those 1,000+ yard shots unless your real practiced and can read wind and mirage into the mix.

I gave up on trying to be accurate with any range finder until they are under 800 yards and then I will take 2-3 readings and it does make a differance unless rock steady what numbers can/will show up off hand with a hand held range finder.

Spend what you will and I'm sure the swaro's are great, do I need that? Is the question at hand.

coyotetrapper":3671j43i said:

I don't agree with the above post. I have a Leica 1200 scan and I don't need the animal at all! I just scan the ground where it is. The reading is just fine, accurate and easy to do.

With the scan model you just let it show the numbers and pick the # that goes off next to the target. Thats all there is to it.

Mine works well most of the time to about 900 yds or so and at times to 1200 yds.

Back