M-4 Carbine What to top it with?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
For defense what would you choose. I need a fast no nonsense sight (S)

Fotis, put that Aimpoint on it.

Another good choice is the Trijicon RMR Dual-Illuminated reflex sight. It has tritium and fiber optic illumination, so batteries are unnecessary. It weighs practically nothing.

George

I tried the EoTEch but I have a slight astigmatism, so the reticle had a halo effect.

George

Had the EOTech on my SWAT rifle and it worked well, amazingly well even at range, since it has zero magnification. Utterly reliable sight...

These days I'm using a 1.5-4x Leupold AR scope as primary. Used it the last couple of years of police work too. Zeroed at 100 yds. Hits, good hits, from 15 yards to 300 yards are dirt simple. Have flip-up sights for backup. Thanks Scotty!

Link to my scope with the illuminated reticle and bullet drop compensator:

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/ ... -5-4x20mm/

This 10.5" full auto Rock River was a really, really, fun little rifle...

Set all of them up for the SWAT team with EOTech sights.

This easy-shooting, suppressed, full-auto Colt with the EOTech worked well too:

Not all the rifles on the range were suppressed, so the ear muffs were a great idea. That suppressor worked really well.

I have loved the ACOGs I've used on friends' rifles, but have a 3200 2-7x32mm w/ firefly reticle on mine. Fast as can be at 2x and great at distance.

Fotis, I think you could use a low power optic as fast as most guys running EOTECK and the like given your experience. I've run ACOGS and EOTECS on my patrol rifles and love them. I also have astigmatism, so anytime I'm shooting over 50 yards I need to have corrective lenses to shoot well with the EOTECS.
Our home defenders are set up with EOTECS.

A fast no nonsense sight for me is open sights. No need to turn them on like the eotech's or those with illuminated reticles. But I guess if you have to flip them up, then it puts them behind powering on a sight. What's your intention for this rifle?

Blink twice Wyoming and your eyes will be twice as old as they are now. Pretty blondes and using iron sights eventually elude us.

salmonchaser":1kmk9t98 said:
Blink twice Wyoming and your eyes will be twice as old as they are now. Pretty blondes and using iron sights eventually elude us.
[emoji106]

I pondered long and hard before putting an Eotech on my personal AR.
Research showed me that the red dot is faster than iron sights in a fast and furious social encounter. That's why the military and LE agencies use them. Red dots have been proven in the fiercest crucible and they work!

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Gents, "A fast no nonsense sight for ME is open sights..."

Eotech's look like stop signs thanks to my astigmatism (even after lasik) and I'm faster with open sights if I have to turn my red dots on. I'm sure they are faster when patrolling or are already on, but we still don't know fotis's pou.

My bad- I guess its for defense.

I put my Eotech on my mossberg 590. Anything in the red, is dead!

I use both Aimpoints and Eotech's with BUIS on most of my AR's. I prefer the reticile on the Eotech but the battery life on the Aimpoint is phenomenal so it is about a wash to me. I do have a couple 7.62 rifles set up with 1 x 4 scopes to take advantage of the extra power and range of the 7.62 but I also insist on an illuminated reticile so I could still use at night if need be.

My plan for this is basically defense, whether it is at home or on my property.

Back