M48 liberty

derek

Beginner
Oct 31, 2016
I bought a rifle November 2015 I have roughly 100rnds factory and 100 rounds reloads. I cant get this rifle to shoot under MOA at all I'm so disappointed in this rifle its crazy. I thought my issue was the scope I sent it back battled pretty hard with the company finally they sent me a new one. Tried the rifle again same issue. I want to send the rifle back but I'm sure the rifle will work fine for them just like every company does you send it in works for them and send it back and doesn't work for the customer. I own 6 savages and every one of them shoots under MOA with reloads and factory ammo. I always thought you get what you pay for but this rifle proves me wrong 100%. $600 rifle shoots under MOA $1600 dollar rifle can't shoot at all. Very disappointed.

How about a little more info,

Which cartridge and what ammo, what kind of scope, bases & rings, did you go down the list of what could be the issue like tighten everything up? Also, could you list the cartridges you are used to shooting as well and how many do you shoot in a group, how much time between shots? And while it may seem funny, how often have you cleaned the barrel.

It could be something easy like torquing down the stock correctly to the wrong type of scope for the job. Maybe putting a scope on there that is one of yours that you "know" is dead on.

Anyway, additional info will help.

Good luck...........
chs

derek,

Welcome to the forum. We will try to help you sort things out but need additional information.
What chambering do you have and what kind of accuracy are you getting?
What bullet weight(s) have you tried?
What brand and model scope are you using? What rings and bases? are they torqued to the correct spec?

JD338

My Nosler 48 came with a test target and load data for the ammunition used to shoot it. Did yours come with that information?

I am shooting an m48 liberty chambered in 26nosler I have shot factory 129gr ABLR and 140 AB
I have reloaded using us869 from 86gr on powder to 84grns of powder. also reloaded with H50bmg using 81/82 grns of powder. bullets that I have used doing a ladder test are 142ABLR hornady 143ELD-x, and Sierra 140 spritzer. after the ladder test best groups were shooting 3.350 which were about 2 in groups so I went to straight 3.300 what the book says to do still cant shoot under 1 in. I'm shooting a vortex viper pst 4-16x50 leaupold prw mounts and using a wheeler fat boy torx wrench everything is tightened down to spec.

Hodgeman I didn't receive a target with the load date

I have been shooting4 round groups first one a warm up shot group the second 3 shot for grouping I'm getting about inch and half group is as tight as I can get this rifle. between each shot probably 10 sec in between each group I let cool down to cool temperature so usually I wait about 15-20 min and shoot a different rifle during this time. I usually clean the barrel between each group but have shot groups without cleaning to see if it likes a dirty barrel no luck.

What do your groups look like? Vertical, delta's or random? Where to the first two hit, the 3rd and the 4th?

Thanks........

chs

How did the factory ammo shoot?

If it doesn't do MOA I'd bet Nosler will look at it. Chances are it's got an MOA guarantee with their ammo. Sorry to hear of your troubles but Nosler is a great company to work with.

Also was it used or New since you didn't get a target with it? If it was used maybe the previous owner burnt the barrel and dumped it. The barrel could also be fouled to the point it won't group.

It was brand new off the shelf no target come with it. Factory it shoot a little over an inch with nosler ammo. They told me one time to send it back but i guarentee they will say it shoots fine for them and send it back. Vortex tried doing the same thing two me with the scope it was over tourqued by the sporting good store and wouldnt shoot for me after sending the scope back and fourth twice they finally sent me a new one and shoots awrsome on a 300 ein mag and 6.5x284 so i know nosler will say shoots great for us and that will be the end of it.

C. Schutte the groups are every were sometimes i dont even hit the paper sometimes.

derek":3bh6vf8k said:
It was brand new off the shelf no target come with it. Factory it shoot a little over an inch with nosler ammo. They told me one time to send it back but i guarentee they will say it shoots fine for them and send it back. Vortex tried doing the same thing two me with the scope it was over tourqued by the sporting good store and wouldnt shoot for me after sending the scope back and fourth twice they finally sent me a new one and shoots awrsome on a 300 ein mag and 6.5x284 so i know nosler will say shoots great for us and that will be the end of it.

What do mean a little over an inch? Three shots? Four shots? Will it do it everytime with the ammo? What I'm trying to get at is if the factory ammo shoots consistently at an inch but your hand loads will not I'd be looking at concentricity of your rounds and also your charge weights. What are your chrono numbers telling you?

Chances are it wants to run at near full pressure with a squarely seated bullet. Those big jugs can be finicky to find where they wanna shoot.

Still no harm in having Nosler check it out to reduce that variable. I'd call and speak with them, just for good measure.

No it doesnt shoot 1 in everytime thats just the best i have had on factory ammo sometimes it shoots 1.5 let cool down shoots 3in let cool down clean barrel shoots 2in let cool down shoot 2.5 in and i can nver determine were the bullet wil fly i hold center squeeze the trigger and lray it will hit paper. I just dont get it ive done the ladder test ive match oacl from factory loaded rounds to that still no cigar

Send it back. Sounds like a lemon. Let Nosler sort it out. Sounds like you have tried a bunch.

I too would urge giving Nosler a chance to check the rifle over.

Most of the rifle makers seem real good about taking care of problems. For instance I had a problem with a Ruger rifle years ago, heck I'd bought it used. Sent it to Ruger, they fixed it for me for free, and had it back in my hands quickly. I think less than two weeks. It's been a while, since then, but I was impressed. Rifle fixed 100%, for free, when the local gunsmith couldn't figure it out.

If you bought a new car, and something didn't work right, you'd take it back to the dealer for a look-see by their shop right?

Guy

Not to create confusion- I only mention the test target because mine came with one.

Bear in mind that I have an older rifle and the newer models may not come with a test target.

I'd say let Nosler have a crack at it. The two times I've used their CS, it's been nothing but stellar.

Derek,

With all due respect, have you had anyone else shoot the rifle? Do they get the same (or similar) results? Have you checked the torque on the stock screws? (Relieve them and retighten to spec?)

If everything is negative then a trip to OR is definitely warranted. Once you've eliminated "everything", whatever is left must be the problem!

derek":3ulqjpoq said:
C. Schutte the groups are every were sometimes i dont even hit the paper sometimes.

From 1.5-2" to not even hitting paper? Something is not adding up with this. Without seeing much consistency I would agree with Scotty and let Nosler have a look. Sometimes just standing back and letting someone else have a look might shed some light.

I'm also curious to the scope and cheek weld status. A 50mm objective on a straight stock design seems to keep me wondering.

I would also look at the crown...................

I'm also wondering about your experience level with a rifle that has a decent amount of recoil. Being honest, could it be that it is a big step up in recoil? It is possible that flaws in shooting technique show up with more recoil.

Just for fun I would recommend the following. Clean the barrel well. And I mean clean the layers of soot/copper/soot/copper and so on until you are down to steel. After cleaning and removing all traces of solvent fire two foul shots.

After allowing the barrel to return to the surrounding ambient temperature ( and that might mean 45 minutes) I would then fire 3 shots using the most accurate ammo/most consistent making sure to note where shot 1, 2 and 3 hit. I would also recommend to not move the rifle off your rest and to do as good a job as you are able keeping everything the same between shots. Same cheek weld, jamming that rifle in the pocket of your shoulder, even pressure in the center of the recoil pad, firm hand hold on the stock, no slapping the trigger, same everything.............. fire three shots starting from a cold barrel.

All issues can be corrected if you have enough patience.

Good luck.

chs

I know recoil has nothing to do with it at all i gree up shooting a winchester model 70 in 300 win mag light rifle quite a bit of recoil prob the same if. Ot more i was in the military and qualified expert everytime i shoot all my other rifles 300 included never had an issue with mounting the rifle in the same slot everytime not scared of recoil i have looked at the action screws tighter them down to 40 like book says tried redoing them a couple of times. Looked at the crown i cnnsee any deficencies but idk either hard to tell a slight one if there is.

Mine came with a test target too, sort of, it is actually a digital target but I expect it serves the same purpose... Mine is a custom, maybe the standard models don't include the target, I don't know.

I sent mine back to Nosler over an issue with the bedding... They fixed it.

Back