Mag. Primers in the .25-06?

cal sibley

Beginner
Nov 17, 2005
I'm in the midst of load development for a new Remington 700BDL in
.25-06 and am wondering if the Federal or Remington Mag. Primers are a good choice so long as I drop back a bit on the loads? I'm trying all bullet weights from 75 to 120grs. My shooting is at the range and quite truthfully this rifle is not a joy. Rarely do I get a 5 shot group of an inch or less, and it seems I should be able to do much better. I know Remington has been having some problems in the accuracy department lately, but it's a little early to blame the rifle. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal, heartily recommend the use of magnum primers in the 25-06 when using very slow burning powders.

For powers like H 4350, H 4831, RL 22, etc. I am perfectly happy using either Fed 210 primers or the WLR.

But, for IMR 7828, RL 25, etc. I much prefer the Fed 215 or Fed 215M primer.

Just what works for me.

I have tried more loads than makes good sense in several 25-06 rifles. I have come to expect good results using standard primers and IMR 4831 for bullets of 75-100 grains and magnum primers with IMR 7828 for bullets over 100 grains.

25/06 is one caliber where I always use mag primers. They just seem to work better with that particular caliber.Rick.

I have shot and tested quite a few loads in 25/06's and have never once found the need to use a magnum primer. I have even shot the bigger 125g ULD with H-4831, RL-22, IMR-7828 and I have always used either the standard Fed 210 or CCI BR-2. Have shot quite a few groups under 1/4" with those primers. The magnums will work, but you just gotta start a little lower and work up slower more cautiously I would suspect.

give them a "jump" to the lands. :!: my .25-06 classic coughed at bullets seated any farther out than 3.250(tip). h-4831 fed gmmatch spark in 85ct 100nbt and 115nbt. but 100smk are #1 for tgt and whitetails! 4.5" @500yds :shock:

While the 100-grain Sierra MatchKings are doubtless excellent target bullets, they are specifically not recommended for use on game animals. Like all MatchKings they have thin jackets and small hollowpoints not designed for expansion. They may expand okay on one shot but fail to do so on the next three. Hundreds of other hunters have proven the fickle nature of MKs on game for years.....they are poor hunting bullets. Since the poster has such good luck with the 100 and 117-grain Btips, why not use bullets designed for hunting? :roll:

lonestar
sorry i didnt see where he is having such good luck with BT? i like to eat my deer.they smash them!
i saw he is in the midst of load development.
mag primers since he is in cold canada have their use,but in .25-06 :roll: ? i simply stated what was best, 100SMK im sure you tried them yourself since you know they dont work!have in fact proven themselves many times over here,and i have used all the nosler bullets ,and they worked too!except for the 110AB which i have forgotten where i was at. but to each his own.i would highly recomend the 110AB with a jump to the lands,and federal gold metal match primer with h-4831.

Back