Magnum Primers for 7mm-08

338winmag

Handloader
Jan 9, 2011
I have more than plenty of Large Rifle magnum primers for now till who knows when - :) :)
..but I just now noticed that I only have about 400 Large Rifle primers which are used for the 7mm-08. If for some reason we don't see primers back on the shelves for 2013, can one use Large Rifle Magnum primers for a 7mm-08 and just re-work the powder load for the magnum primers?

Thanks All
Scotty, Mike, JD, Fotis and Everyone be safe over the Holidays
338winmag

Thanks for the good wishes. To answer your question, you have it. Just work up your load as the magnum primers will increase pressure somewhat. You may find that you can reduce your charge a tad when using magnum primers. And best wishes for a blessed and merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

G'Day Fella's,

.338 Win Mag, I use CCI 250 or Remington 9 1/2 Magnum primers in almost all of my rifles that accept Large Rifle primers!
That includes .243, .25-06, 7mm Rem Mag .308 (x3), .338 Win Mag, .340 Weatherby, .350 Rem Mag, .338 Lap Mag, .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery.
As far as I'm concerned (unless it effects accuracy), you can never have To Much Spark!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Magnum primer with increase about 20 fps and with some load it might be too hot. I use G215 ( magnum ) with 270 win for my 150 PT loads and 58 gr of RL-22. It works well in cold weather.

Vodekz

You can use Magnum primers in your 7mm-08 but you will need to start low and work up a load.

JD338

thanks everyone. Some new and interesting thoughts regarding the use of mag primers. You guys have made my day. :):):) A great bunch of people!

Steve

JD338":3drtdaow said:
You can use Magnum primers in your 7mm-08 but you will need to start low and work up a load.

JD338

Correct. You might have to adjust -1 to -1.5 grains...pending on rifle specifics.

We just worked up a load with the fed 215m primers in a Weatherby 7mm-08 and Varget. With WLR primers, 42.5 grains of this powder and a 140g AccuBond the rifle was very accurate. With the same bullet and powder and the 215m primer, we are getting the same accuracy with a charge of 41 grains. With 42 grains, the POI was almost 1" lower at 100 yards. The groups also opened up to more than 1". I could not tell you the velocity's, so that will have to wait till this summer.

Thanks Wondermutt!

Excellent information. I have lots of mag primers and only a half a brick of the regular primers. The way things are going at the stores, I might not see regular primers for a long time. Once I get out to the range, I will report back with my loads and what I get with the powder reduction. Currently I am using 49 grains of RL17 and getting about 3142 fps with 120 gr NBTs. Accuracy is exceptionally consistent inside 5/8" at 100 yards and I have not even tried very hard to get more accuracy yet. this of course using Fed 210s.

Thanks again
Steve

Back