magnum primers vs. large rifle primers

bulletbob

Beginner
Nov 12, 2005
can magnum primers be used in large rifles such as 30-06? i aquired 1000 magnum primers but find no load data for them. i was told that you could lower the charge from 5% to 7% and use the magnum primers instead of the large rifle primers. any ideas????

the answer to your question is yes. It doesnt hurt a thing to use mag primers in non-mag caibers. Just be aware that you MUST rework the load up from the beginning. Mag primers generally cause more pressure than standard primers with the same load. Also some manuals recommend them for use with ball powders which are a little harder to ignite.

And my question is just the opposite.

I am reloading some 300 Weatherby this weekend. Went to buy Large Rifle Magnum *Match* primers and all they had was Large Rifle Match.

Are Large Rifle Match primers OK for 300 Weatherby???

I have used standard Winchester (WLR) primers in my 300 win mag for years with no problems.Winchester has the hottest standard primer that I know of. The main difference is the cup thickness. The mag primer being thicker of course to handle the higher pressures of the mag calibers. I have never used match grade primers in magnum cases or have any experience with weatherby cartriges, although I would guess that they should be okay if you do not want to shoot extremely heavy loads. What is it that you are trying to accomplish using match primers? If you are shooting a hunting rifle and not a full fledged long range custom benchrest rifle, I do not think you will see any appreciable difference in accuracy using bechrest primers. You will just be throwing good money away that can be spent on better things such as a more accurate bullet.
If you do decide to give the match primers a try, work the loads from the bottom up and watch the pressure signs very closely. Otherwise buy the proper components.

Keep in mind, "non-magnum" cartridges such as the 270W operates at higher max pressure (65,000 psi) than any of the belted Winchesters (64,000 psi). The belted Remingtons are even lower. But we never hear the magnum primer recommendation for 270W or the 6mm Rem (also at 65,000 psi). The primary reason for magnum primers was a concern that large charges of slow burning powder were more difficult to ignite in cold weather--ostensibly creating large ES from shot to shot, or the phenomena of a "double bump" pressure curve. This was probably not a real concern previously--and even less so with today's primers and powders. Match primers probably don't make a difference in any firearm/load--except for the most "cutting edge' benchrest shooting--and today there is an argument about the value of match primers in those circles. Having said that, I often use Federal Match regular primers--just "because".

Casey

But we never hear the magnum primer recommendation for 270W or the 6mm Rem (also at 65,000 psi)....
Dang Casey, you have to be careful with that word "never". Speer #13 lists 70 different loads for the 6mm Remington with magnum primers, and 38 loads for the .270 WCF. Nosler discusses the substitution of magnum primers when shooting in sub-freezing temperatures, page 34 in #5. Oh, I forgot, no one reads the front of a reloading manual.... :wink:

Lonestar,

Well, you're correct--what's worse I DO read ALL of the manuals. :) But I intended my comment to mean in the context of discussions of the relative pros/cons of regular vs magnum primers...Besides, my early Speer manuals, beginning with manual #1- lists 59gr to 58gr of IMR 4831, in a 270W w/ 150gr bullets--which is a virtual cinch to be over max pressure. I have ran 58-59gr H4831 through an Ohler M43 in a variety of 270's and those loads are consistently at or near max pressure. IMR4831 produced max peak pressure with 2-3gr less powder. Yet Speer manuals #1-#9 (sorry, my eyes were becoming blurry by then) don't recommend CCI 250 primers in any of those loads?

Casey

During load development for my 270, I took my best load thus far and, keeping everything else identical, loaded up 5 rounds each using 5 different primers:

Federal GM Match, Federal GM Match Magnums, CCI BR 2, Remington 9 1/2, & Winchester WLR. After shooting the loads over a Chroney (cleaning the barrel thoroughly after each load), the difference in velocity was not worth measuring. The Magnums produced about a 5 % velocity gain over the average regular primers. But then again, the WLR's produced about 5 % more velocity than the Rem's. So, I'd say, all in all, if you lower your max loads by 5-10% and work up, you may find that your mag cartridges like regular primers better and vica versa......go figure :lol:

Blaine

You can't tell what's happening to internal pressure spikes by measuring velocity variations over a chronograph. Velocity is pressure, and whether the powder ignites fast (magnum primer) or more slowly (standard primer) there's only so much mass of powder to convert into gas to drive a bullet., and it all converts, whether fast or slow.

While velocity shouldn't change, the peak pressure point will. The reason for advice on reducing powder levels with Magnum primers is to reduce this spike, and reducing powder does also reduce velocity. As a result, I'll only use Magnum primers in cases holding a lot of powder to ignite, i.e., greater than 30-06, for my purposes. The primer does make a difference. YMMV.

Jaywalker

280SWE:
In the new "Norma Reloading Manual" they use Winchester magnum LR primer to all calibers.
Yes, and I understand they've been doing this for some time. Traditionally, magnum primers are used to ignite ball powders in a cold environment, which apparently causes the powder to be harder to ignite. Perhaps Norma is optimizing their powder coatings for colder weather, or their powder is otherwise harder to ignite.

Jaywalker

There was a good article in the A-Square manula showing actual measured pressures for a load substituting diff. makes & mag vs std. primers. In most cases the magnum primer causes a pressure spike of several 1000psi. I've worked up loads using both & find the std. primer works fine in just about every case size, even w/ ball powders. Just rework your loads subing the ,ag preimer.

Back