Making your own SPG seasonings

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I have always used store bought seasonings and rubs, but I want to start making my own seasonings for BBQ and smoker stuff. There are different ways as described on the internet.
What do you guys like to use such as kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, maybe granulated onion as well and how much in ratio?

The only rub I have used is for ribs. I mix brown sugar, garlic powder, tyme and rosemary and cover coth sides of the ribs. Cook in oven at 210°f for 6 hours. They are pretty good. Scotty has made them and agrees.
Let us know what you come up with Mark.

JD338

I use a lot of smoked paprika. If I want to add a Tex-Mex note, I'll add ground ancho pepper or ground chipotle pepper. For a flavour enhancer, cumin is always a good addition. I just served country style ribs and pork loin to guests yesterday. The rub for the ribs was kosher salt, ancho pepper, sumac (a middle eastern spice), cumin, smoked paprika, garlic salt, onion powder. I never paid much attention to proportions as I adjust to the taste of guests and my own inclinations. I will say that the smoked paprika and peppers are generous in any rub I make. The rub I used for the pork loin was simply kosher salt and black pepper with thyme sprigs laid in slices made in the loin. I then glazed with a mix of apple juice, honey and cloves. Excellent flavour, reminiscent of watermelon! How about that?

I should have mentioned, my son is a chef . I have trouble putting together a glass of ice water .

here is some of his food from the cookout .

IMG_20220530_171307776.jpg Travis food.jpg Travis food 2.jpg

while He was still in culinary school , he called me on a Fathers day morning . hey Dad get out a nice piece of venison and have it thawed , I'm coming home to cook you a meal .

venison , red potatoes , zucchini . he cooked down jelly and made the raspberry red onion topping .

P6190495.JPG

P6190496.JPG

Back