Mannlicher

Brooke,

The 9.3X57 is a great cartridge, roughly equivalent in power and range to the .358 Win. Fascinating cartridge in a truly classic rifle.

Scotty, Dr Mike. I am almost certain that it is a 9.5 x 57 MS Carbine and I am assuming the MS stands for Mannlicher Schienauer--but I am at school and can not seem ti to get ahold of anyone to confirm this. I did remember the name of the bullet company however, it is Kynoch, whom I also have never heard of (-; I am such a dufus Brooke

I'm less familiar with the 9.5X57, but that is certainly a possibility. In that case, it would still be a fascinating cartridge with which to work.

Brooke, if for any reason your family decides not to buy this rifle, let me know and if it is original and at least 89% or better we will buy it. This is for sure a classic that can be used for bears as it has done very well in the past with lions. Kynoch offers a 270 grain bullet that works well and we have shipped them to friends in the U.S.before, plus you can buy them through Midway in the united States. If it is a carbine and has a full length stock and the stock, sights, action, etc, have been unaltered it would be a rifle that you would enjoy using and having in your collection.

Best Regards

Jamila

pm me if you want more info

alaska100":38wtpzrf said:
Scotty, Dr Mike. I am almost certain that it is a 9.5 x 57 MS Carbine and I am assuming the MS stands for Mannlicher Schienauer--but I am at school and can not seem ti to get ahold of anyone to confirm this. I did remember the name of the bullet company however, it is Kynoch, whom I also have never heard of (-; I am such a dufus Brooke

You certainly are not a dufus. You may be young and inexperienced but have proven to everyone here you have an open, inquisitive and fertile brain. Never sell yourself short, even in jest as people will come to believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alaska100":25tyw288 said:

In a 1910 M-S, it is most likely a 9.5x57.

The 9x57 and 9.3x57 were competing Mauser developments. Back then proprietary cartridges were more of a thing and you had scads of very similar cartridges being offered in competitor's rifles.

I recently picked up a Greek Military sporter in 6.5x54 MS. I really like the handling charachteristics of the rifle. Light, fast to shoulder and cheek. Perfect for the niche I will use it for, heavy cover and light game. Got the bugs worked out of the magazine, then the front sight loosened up and some nimrod used permenant Loctite on one of the screws, so now I'm working on that. Neat little rifle otherwise.

I think there are several reasons they have never been popular in the states.
1. The bolt action rifle in general did not become popular here for most hunting until after WWII, and by then there was a glut of Mauser and Springfield actions and some notable domestic designs of good quality and pricing available.
2. At that time, optics were becoming the norm on bolt action American hunting rifles and the MS is difficult to scope compared to the others.
3. In America, the right to hunt game is widely exercised by the working class, even the working poor, not just the well-to-do, and domestic designs and converted military Mauser or Springfield rifles were much more affordable.
4. The 30-06 and .270 were king here. The metric calibers most often chambered in MS rifles had little appeal to American hunters.

salmonchaser":3qf2u8ah said:
alaska100":3qf2u8ah said:

You certainly are not a dufus. You may be young and inexperienced but have proven to everyone here you have an open, inquisitive and fertile brain. Never sell yourself short, even in jest as people will come to believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ 1 Let us look back at the thread Guy started, about what game animals each of us have taken in our lifetime. Your still in college and between the animals you successfully hunted in Texas and the ones you have successfully hunted in Alaska the list is possibly more than many will have haunted in their lifetime.

as Hodgeman stated it is a 9.5 x 57 and as Scotty mentioned it is a 375. Before Cheyenne jumps on and suggests Dr Mike and I was around at that time, we were not, but I do remember this as being a Wesley Richards in London creation.

Back to the original question. Jamilia, Polaris has answered your question very nicely with his post above

I for one would buy a Mannlicher style stocked rifle, they've got to be one the most beautiful rifles ever made. I would totally buy a 6.5x54 MS, or one in 6.5x55, or even 7x57. These are great cartridges. I have a feeling there is one coming up in my future to own.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Europe":3gllfwve said:
[T]he ones you have successfully hunted in Alaska the list is possibly more than many will have haunted in their lifetime.

I have hunted a few animals, April. Tragically, I've haunted even more; but I normally don't allow that information to become generally known. :shock:

DrMike":cv4ei7ds said:
Europe":cv4ei7ds said:
[T]he ones you have successfully hunted in Alaska the list is possibly more than many will have haunted in their lifetime.

I have hunted a few animals, April. Tragically, I've haunted even more; but I normally don't allow that information to become generally known. :shock:

+ 1 LOL

well played Dr Mike, I might have even fudged a little when I suggested we were not yet born, when that cartridge was designed, but I was trying to cut cheyenne off at the pass (-:

Has your grandson, Noah, connected yet this year and did you get that adorable granddaughter her rifle yet ? Have a great day sir, I am headed out today--to sail, not to hunt, but will catch up to you another day. Hope your season has been and will be a good one

Dr Mike , when you and April "haunt" animals is it usually around halloween and do you wear costume's, like Sonny and Cher. or George Burns and Gracie Allen . Actually you two probably actually remember those people (-; (-; (-;

o.k. I am out of here before one or both of them set fire to my behind

Sonny and Cher? Who's that? Oh, yeah, some of those modern singers. Not class like Al Jolson, Jelly Roll Morton, Bessie Smith or Caruso. Burns and Allen? Taught 'em all they knew. And if we "haunt" animals, it is each time we go afield. (Otherwise, I just haunt my dear lady. :shock: )

Europe":2xdcmwvo said:
DrMike":2xdcmwvo said:
Europe":2xdcmwvo said:

+ 1 LOL

well played Dr Mike, I might have even fudged a little when I suggested we were not yet born, when that cartridge was designed, but I was trying to cut cheyenne off at the pass (-:

Has your grandson, Noah, connected yet this year and did you get that adorable granddaughter her rifle yet ? Have a great day sir, I am headed out today--to sail, not to hunt, but will catch up to you another day. Hope your season has been and will be a good one

April,

Noah and I have been out a few times. He is death on grouse. We haven't connected on larger game yet (save for one slightly addled fox that refused to leave the area).

Back