Favorite calibers

And to answer the question of OP,
223, 6mm Rem, 250 AI, 257 Wby, 6.5-06, 260 AI, 280 AI, 7 RM, 338-06, 9.3x62, 444, 45-70
That's rifles, the pistol list would be at least as long :grin:

surprised that only Hawk and I like the Swede. I have used the 6.5 x 55 on many of hunts, love it

Bear, Hawk, Scotty, Dewey and Cole like the BIG boomers.

Favourite calibers: .284, .264 and .338

Favourite cartridges: 280 Rem, 6.5 x 55, 338 Win Mag, 358 Win and 375 Win
(growing very fond ofthe 250 Savage and have probably harvested more game with my 7MM STW than any other rifle in my possession; just a great and accurate rifle!)

Favourite rifles: LH Rem 700 and Sako bolt actions, Marlin, Winchester and Browning lever actions, Ruger 10/22

Been hunting for 42 years now (will turn the big 50 this winter)

Europe":1yxp1qqx said:
surprised that only Hawk and I like the Swede. I have used the 6.5 x 55 on many of hunts, love it

Bear, Hawk, Scotty, Dewey and Cole like the BIG boomers.
I like the Swede very much and it was wife's first rifle (a real old Swede). Since I am a south-paw I only use it on the range. Awsome performance with the AccuBond.

Since she went for a Mauser M12 in 308, it is waiting for my smaller son.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I admire the ability you guys have in being able to have so many favorite rifles to hunt with. I just dont have the time to acquaint myself with so many different rifles and calibers. I take the 348 out almost every day, whether I am hunting, trapping, working, researching, or guiding. It is literally an extension of my arm and I prefer that, especially when an emergency presents itself. Occasionally we will travel south for goat, and sheep and I take the 275 H & H.

I just dont have the time to "know" a lot of rifles, loads, calibers and what each one does, but my hats off to you guys who hunt with a different gun each day.

I was asked why I only use two calibers/rifles

Favorite calibers? Wow, over the years I've tried a lot from the .375H&H on down. I sold the Ruger No. 1 in .375 which in retrospect was a bad mistake. I really enjoyed shooting that rifle. Actually took it deer hunting on two different occasions. But favorite calibers? I would start with a .22. Have two, one being a Stevens bolt action that my father gave me when I was 13 years old and a Marlin 39A that I managed to find at a gun show. Great plinking fun and a good small game caliber. Marlin .336 in .35 Rem. that took a lot of deer over the years. My 700 in 06 that took a "lot" of deer. My 700 in .338RUM that turned out to be a fantastic Elk Rifle. A Kimber Montana in .300WSM that has also worked well on Elk. Last but not least my Beretta 390AL 12 Gauge that I use for Duck Hunting. Over the years I've worn out a Rem. 1100 (Northeast Duck Hunting) and also used A Winchester Super-X model 1. Living in Florida has provided excellent Duck hunting with the Beretta.

I was first exposed to the 6.5x55 after my grandfather had passed away. I was 16, and my dad let me choose which rifle he inherited from my grandfather. I went after the funny looking (at that time) side open box of a true Norwegian Krag carbine. Later I would have a Model 96 Swede, or a Model 38 in my stable at one time or another. The Krag showed me that accuracy could be common, even from a regular military rifle. Then the Swedish Mausers showed me what the cartridge could do on game.
I love the sweet little 6.5x55 Swede! I wish I still had one. Alas, if it weren't for a divorce, I would still have one. I want to get another one here soon! Or at least one of the ballistic equivalent clones that are out now.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

280 Rem; just starting on the 280 AI. For what I hunt, I've never seen the need for a belt or to go beyond 7mm let alone 30 caliber. 223 for general purpose / varmint control.

For action - controlled round feed bolt. Have been leaning on the Kimber 84L series as of late (30-06 and a new 280 AI), but I keep going back to a 280 Rem in a Weatherby Mark V 6 lug action in a tupperware stock. The Weatherby shots well, has a good trigger, is light weight and I don't care about keeping her pretty; so she has been sneaking out of the house as of late...

Thankful Otter - "beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it.". I've seen hunters acquire (buy and borrow) a new gun for a hunt and then have a major malfunction, such as not being able to manipulate the safety, when a shot presents itself. So I'm with your line of thought and I am trying to standardize on the Kimber 84L rifle, I personally like having a backup rifle; I have had scopes go wonky and firing pin springs cease operating properly on out of state trips before.

Edited to add - 30-06 is my secondary cartridge for when components can't be found and ease of buying factory ammo if luggage is lost or pilfered though; but it really isn't my "favorite" or go to round like the 280 is.

Thankful Otter":2bbntbpc said:
I admire the ability you guys have in being able to have so many favorite rifles to hunt with. I just dont have the time to acquaint myself with so many different rifles and calibers. I take the 348 out almost every day....I just dont have the time to "know" a lot of rifles, loads, calibers and what each one does

That's not really that unusual...I've got a lot of friends who shoot only one or two rifles, some of them for years. There are folks who like shooting and folks who like hunting...and occasionally someone likes both. This board is probably somewhat unusual in that it has a high number of those "both" folks on it.

I could easily just dump everything but my .300 and never feel disadvantaged in the field except that I like messing around with rifles. In my younger years I shot everything with a .30-06, then a .308, then a .300- pretty much owning one rifle at a time. It's only in midlife that I started playing with different rifles...mainly for other people. My forays into the 7-08 and .270 were for my son as a lighter recoil option and a couple of rifles I just acquired as an experiment without real intention to hunt with them.

Even though I have several good hunting rifles...I almost exclusively hunt with my .300. If I'm using something else it's because I'm forcing myself to or I'm borrowing my son's on a day i didn't really intend to shoot anything to start with.

There is a lot to be said for being a "one gun hunter".

There was ALWAYS a 30 caliber in the house. a straight grip Marlin 30-30 and a 30-06 #1 in my earliest memories then at one point 3 308s all bolt actions. My dad liked rifles but liked to trade them off even more so many came and went. He had a M700 LSS Mountain rifle in 260 and a Century Arms 98 in 6.5 Swede that he loved. He sold them for some reason or another to the same guy. After he died I tried to buy them back but the gentleman would not part with either. A 1896 7mm Mauser my brother and I worked on to sporterize was there too for many years. Later in life it was the 300 WSM that there were multiples of. I rebuilt a supershadow M70 is 7 WSM with factory parts(stock and bottom metal) into a better looking rifle but that didn't stay long. But ALWAYS a 30 caliber of some sort was in the house.

hodgeman":22l9ylo1 said:
Thankful Otter":22l9ylo1 said:
I admire the ability you guys have in being able to have so many favorite rifles to hunt with. I just dont have the time to acquaint myself with so many different rifles and calibers. I take the 348 out almost every day....I just dont have the time to "know" a lot of rifles, loads, calibers and what each one does

That's not really that unusual...I've got a lot of friends who shoot only one or two rifles, some of them for years. There are folks who like shooting and folks who like hunting...and occasionally someone likes both. This board is probably somewhat unusual in that it has a high number of those "both" folks on it.

I could easily just dump everything but my .300 and never feel disadvantaged in the field except that I like messing around with rifles. In my younger years I shot everything with a .30-06, then a .308, then a .300- pretty much owning one rifle at a time. It's only in midlife that I started playing with different rifles...mainly for other people. My forays into the 7-08 and .270 were for my son as a lighter recoil option and a couple of rifles I just acquired as an experiment without real intention to hunt with them.

Even though I have several good hunting rifles...I almost exclusively hunt with my .300. If I'm using something else it's because I'm forcing myself to or I'm borrowing my son's on a day i didn't really intend to shoot anything to start with.

There is a lot to be said for being a "one gun hunter".
Same here.
About 90% one rifle goes out with me. It fits like a glove and does what it is supposed to do.

The other 10% are special occacions. Usually pelt-hunting.

without a doubt I agree with Mike and noslerpartion. The "gluttony " for us came after we started our own business. As a child on the farm, I think my father only had a rifle and a shotgun for as long as I remember. He got me 22 and 410, as I was to small to shoot his. Actually this is true with other things as well. We had a pick up truck and that was the only vehicle we had. No microwave, tv, cell phone ( in fact we were part of a party land line )----but I dont remember being unhappy.

Europe":tfanfjn2 said:
without a doubt I agree with Mike and noslerpartion. The "gluttony " for us came after we started our own business. As a child on the farm, I think my father only had a rifle and a shotgun for as long as I remember. He got me 22 and 410, as I was to small to shoot his. Actually this is true with other things as well. We had a pick up truck and that was the only vehicle we had. No microwave, tv, cell phone ( in fact we were part of a party land line )----but I dont remember being unhappy.
I like to play around with rifles.
Most of them are not mine and I am simply happy if I can make them shoot and the owners are happy with them.
But when I am hunting, I want a 'boring' rifle that I can operate without thinking.
And in my neck of the woods, I simply do not need anything else, but my Tikka T3 in 30-06.
Animals wouldn't be more or 'better' dead with a magnum, meat damage wouldn't be much different with something smaller.

Believe me - I am looking for excuses to buy new stuff.

Simply couldn't convince myself yet ;-)

Europe":skci1b05 said:
When I was growing up at there were only 4 guns in the house and for the longest while only 2.
A shot gun for hunting small game and a 30-06 for hunting deer.
The other guns where add to hunt varmints and to shoot trap and a hand gun my father carried to dispatch deer that needed a finishing shot for a humane death.
For the longest while after I left home I had 3 guns and felt no need for anything more.
As my monetary situation changed more guns starting showing up and so did reloading equipment to fuel my need for lots of ammo and to cut cost.
Now they provide a distraction from boredom as I get older and along with getting rifles and calibers I always wanted to try or own.
The .22lr,12ga shotgun and 30-06 was all I ever needed to hunt what I wanted and got the job done. Depending on the time of year and what was in season one or the other was a constant companion slung on shoulder or carried across the handle bars of my bike which was my only means of wheeled transportation.

Like April I can remember the party telephone lines, no micro wave, TV or cell phones. If my mother wanted me she just stood out on the front porch and called my name, I could here her a mile away and knew it was time to come home :lol: .
I can remember my mother cooking on a Kerosene kitchen range , no gas or electric for a long while.
When she got her first gas stove she blew it up forgetting to light the oven pilot light, Boy was that a surprise.
Was very happy and never wanted for nothing I didn't need.
April they were the good old days and some times I yearn for them.

338 RUM, but I don't know why. It goes to the range more than any other rifle I own , even if just for a shot or two. And every hunt I do, no matter which rifle I ultimately take, its on the short list.
I saw a woodchuck in a field a while back and that was the rifle I choose to dispatch it. Very effective on Woodchucks by the way. KH

In no particular order, .222 Rem, .270 Win, .220 Swift, 7mm Rem Mag, and .30-30 Win.

I have shot many calibers in my short time. I have hunted with and witness others take many head of game with all the various cartridges out there. I think I like them all, however seven is the name of the game. I have omitted the .22 LR as a rule for I have several and use them all regularly. I have also omitted shotguns and handguns. I have chosen to mention favorite rifle platforms to go along with each:

1) Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in .30-06 Springfield. My absolute favorite and all-around rifle!

2) Remington Model 700 in .25-06 Remington. The mountain rifle.

3) Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .22-250 Remington. The truck gun/varmint rifle.

4) Savage Model 99 in .25-35 WCF. The hand me down rifle.

5) USRAC Winchester 1886 takedown in .45-70 Government. The punkin’ chunker.

6) Mauser 1893 sporterized in 7x57mm Spanish Mauser. The orphaned project rifle.

7) T/C New Englander .50 cal muzzleloader. Everyday is Throwback Thursday.

Honorable Mention:

7mm Rem Mag in Weatherby Vanguard S2. The long-range rifle.

.243 WCF in Remington Model 600. The trainer rifle.

.222 Remington in Remington Model 722.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I sit here and think....
I, until recently, haven't had more than 1 or 2 rifles at a time. The main reason being, strictly financial reasons. I've never been blessed with an over abundance of money.
I tried the calibers I listed, and used them extensively. I became more than proficient with each one. I learned each rifles likes, and dislikes. I knew where the first shot would go from a cold barrel.
I'm much more into meat hunting, because I've seen hard times. One winter, I had meat from a deer I harvested, kept me from starving, and buying lots and lots of ramen noodles supplemented my diet. If it weren't for being able to hunt, and having 1 rifle, I would have starved.
I hold the .243, 6.5x55, and the .300 Mags in high regards, because I know what they can and can't do. The first one, especially, because it saved me from having to dumpster dive.
I know my abilities with putting the first shot in the vitals, because I want my food anchored as quickly as possible.
With that being said, I'm thankful to God, for giving me a fighting spirit, and not giving up on myself. I thank Him for the friends I have. If it weren't all from Him, then I wouldn't be.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Favorites
6mm Rem is the first center fire I ever purchased and no regrets as it is a excellent performing light recoiling round. Truth is I have never shot a Deer or Antelope with my .264 WIN Mag that I could not of taken with this round, yes the 6mm Remington is a classic to me.
.264 Win Mag as Winchester promoted it as the Ultimate Western Deer and Antelope round, I think I like the rifle more a Model 70 XTR as much as the round itself.
300 H&H Mag it's just a classic round and what can withstand a 180gr bullet at 3000+FPS on this continent.
25-06 Rem. This is what I bought my Son for hunting out West for Deer & Antelope.

Dislikes
My fathers 30-06 lots of noise and recoil, just never warmed up to it sorry. Could of been the rifle a Remington 742 with no recoil pad.
308 Win. I won a Savage 99 never shot it and gave it to my Brother. Never saw what it could do that my 300 H&H Mag could do with a .308 caliber bullet and if I wanted less recoil my 6mm Rem shot so much flatter.

If I were to buy another new rifle today I would look to a .280 Rem or 7mm Rem Mag. In a Model 70 XTR action barrel 26inch all in Cerkote, HS Precision Stock, Leupold dual dovetail mounts Burris Signature rings with 10 MOA inserts and a Leupold Scope. The older I get the more I lean to the .280 Rem.

Back