Marlin 45/70

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
Probably shouldn't have but I did it anyway.
Picked up a new truck rifle.

961fe295fa01b3f5fad6a04ac48cdf41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a fine looking piece it is, Vince. Should be a great firearm for the truck. I'll look forward to a summation of your first shots with it.

Thats pretty much identical to the one I have Vince, great rifle. You will enjoy it. (y)

Nice rifle! Just bought myself a Henry all weather in the same caliber. Can't wait to shoot it!

RoofusJenkins":37h445qf said:
Nice rifle! Just bought myself a Henry all weather in the same caliber. Can't wait to shoot it!

Welcome aboard, Roofus. When you get a chance, give a peek at your Henry. Have you wrung it out at the range yet? If so, give us a rundown on what you saw. I've seen these rifles, but I've not handled them. They do look as if Henry has a hit with them, though.

Vince,

Very nice buddy. That is my favorite version of the 1895.
Stock up on some 300 gr BST seconds and H322. This bullet at 2200 fps is an absolute hammer on deer.

JD338

JD338":4yrv7k9d said:
Vince,

Very nice buddy. That is my favorite version of the 1895.
Stock up on some 300 gr BST seconds and H322. This bullet at 2200 fps is an absolute hammer on deer.

JD338

For danged sure! Great combo.

Elkman":4yrv7k9d said:
Mine is deadly on ground squirrels, using 350 gr. hard cast bullets.

You don't want one them charging. That's for danged sure :lol:

Had a .45/70 Marlin for nine years. Always figured any game within 150 yards was in trouble... Even ground squirrels... :mrgreen:

Nice rifle. Enjoy!

Had a .45/70 Marlin for nine years. Always figured any game within 150 yards was in trouble... Even ground squirrels...
I carry a Springfield Armory 45 ACP for the close in stuff, under 10 yards.

I never realized I was so under gunned!
For many years I didn't either, until one day I had to the make that difficult choice. of what gun do I use "today"? I chose the 45/70 instead of the .223, and never looked back. It gives a fast second shot if I need a finisher, and is a real hammer in close quarters.

I bought a Marlin 1895 SBL several years ago. My intention was to use it exclusively for hunting bears from tree-stands. I never expected it to shoot better than a few inches at 100yds, which would have been more than accurate enough for my purposes.

Fast forward to today - I have several loads that shoot MOA @ 100yds and a few which reliably shoot tighter. The Swift A-Frame bullet (@ 2,000 ft/sec) shoots into about 2/3" at 100yds and stays under 2" at 200yds with no problem.

I enjoy shooting the ol' Marlin more than several of my custom rifles and have taken many bears and big hogs with it. It has become one of my "go to" rifles.

In the short time I've had this rifle it has proven reliable in accuracy with factory LeveRevolution ammo.

I'll work up some loads for it soon. It's become my truck and "Go To" rifle around the homestead.

Vince

Gil during the time you lived in Saskatchewan no one told you about the size of our Gophers :shock:.
Bud having a 45/70 is just about standard issue around here :mrgreen:.
We have a large gopher that most Canadians have heard of his name is Gainer :lol:.
Vince your new rifle looks like a real keeper good job my friend!

Blessings,
Dan

Offhand at about 75 Yards I managed to put 3 shots in to an oil drum that you could cover with your hand using the Hornady LeveRevolution 325 Flex Tip.

I think this one might be a shooter.

Vince

Back