Marlin XS7 243

257 Ackley

Handloader
Nov 25, 2008
Took a new rifle out for a test run this afternoon that I am giving to a young man for a graduation present. I wanted to have a decent load worked up for it before we go shooting next weekend. I tried 4895 (39, 39.5 and 40 grains) and Varget (40, 41 and 42 grains) with the 70 grain BT. The Varget 42 grain load looks like it will work. Hard to believe a $300 rifle with a Vortex Viper 2-7X32 can do this, but I won't complain.

P1000571.jpg

Wow, looks great Joel! Can't beat that kind of performance for that kinda loot. Scotty

Mike -
It's a plastic stocked Marlin XS7 with their version of the accu-trigger. The trigger needs a little work to bring it down to about 3 lbs (must be about 4-5 right now). I bought a brother one of the XL7's (.270) two years ago as a Christmas present that shoots better than it should as well. The Nosler manual listed Varget as their most accurate powder with 42 grains as the max, and it sure turned out to be! Crazy to think of this load being around 3600 muzzle velocity. :shock:

I used some JB paste in the barrel before I went to the range to try and lap it somewhat. It was showing quite a bit of copper fouling towards the end. I have some Butches Bore Shine sitting in the barrel right now to see if that will come out.

I suppose if I would read the heading I would have known this. :oops: The Marlins tend to shoot very well.

I'd heard and read that the XS7 was way more accurate than it should be for the price. You've just proved it. Nice groups.
Greg

I am glad that you got it to shoot. I just sent mine back to the factory due to the rail base screws breaking off in the receiver, and barrel/ headspace work. They are great rifles for the money.

corbin9191":2cmpmtbn said:
I am glad that you got it to shoot. I just sent mine back to the factory due to the rail base screws breaking off in the receiver, and barrel/ headspace work. They are great rifles for the money.

Thanks for the info...did you have very many rounds down the barrel when this happened? I will keep an eye out for that. Have you heard of that being a problem for others?

257 Ackley":1x2wp2ty said:
corbin9191":1x2wp2ty said:

Thanks for the info...did you have very many rounds down the barrel when this happened? I will keep an eye out for that. Have you heard of that being a problem for others?
I had roughly 110 rounds down the tube, and I have had a hard time with accuracy for a long time with it. With factory ammo I could only get around 3-5 inch groups. That is with the pressure points and without the pressure points at the end and without any pressure points on the barrel at all (free floated). But with handloads I did get pretty good groups. I have not heard of this happening before with any of them. But with my luck it happened :lol:. I would not worry about it with the rifle you have. It looks like you got a great one!

This is the second one I have purchased and worked loads up for. The other was a XL7 (long action .270) that also shoots MOA or better. One of my nephews used it shoot his first deer (nice 6 point buck) at about 200 yards.

It won't win any beauty contests, but Marlin seems to have put good parts where they needed to be to make a pretty decent hunting rifle.

Very nice shooting. The Marlin's seem to be quite the buy. There was a great article in the March 2011 issue of RIFLE that you might want to check out.

Marlin has turned out some real shooters. I hope Remington doesn't mess with a good thing. Great bang for the buck.

JD338

257 Ackley":od384drp said:
This is the second one I have purchased and worked loads up for. The other was a XL7 (long action .270) that also shoots MOA or better. One of my nephews used it shoot his first deer (nice 6 point buck) at about 200 yards.

It won't win any beauty contests, but Marlin seems to have put good parts where they needed to be to make a pretty decent hunting rifle.

You should find one of them pile of Marlin parts that looks like an 1895G when they are all put together! Scotty

beretzs":3ejv6cl8 said:
257 Ackley":3ejv6cl8 said:

You should find one of them pile of Marlin parts that looks like an 1895G when they are all put together! Scotty

Do you think I can handle one of those big-boy calibers? :lol:

257 Ackley":2y87lk3g said:
beretzs":2y87lk3g said:
257 Ackley":2y87lk3g said:

Do you think I can handle one of those big-boy calibers? :lol:

Without a doubt! That 45-70 is a gentle ben with Trapdoor loads and will still shoot through buffalo! Loaded like mine is, well, it isn't gentle, but it still isn't hurtful. Can't think of a better rifle to topple them pesky Minnesota deer! Scotty

Nice shooting 257 Ackley! I bought 2 XS7's last year and have to agree that they shoot better than their price tag would suggest. The main reason I took a chance on them was for the $$$ I wouldn't have to worry about a new shooter scratching them up in the woods. :roll: one is chambered in .243win and the other is a 7mm-08. My wife liked the fact that she could load and unload the rifle with the safety on, a BIG plus with a new shooter! Good luck with yours!

257 Ackley":30xtc34a said:

Or, you could do something like this with it:

BigBoreXS7III.jpg

Great looking stock. Is it a Boyds? Never thought of changing it up like that. Probably still cheaper than buying a Remington! Scotty

Back