Mauser 30-06 with some different loads.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Been pleased with this rifle overall since I worked on it and bedded it. Has shown it wants to shoot everything I've thrown at it with common loads and no other load work up. The only thing it has balked at so far is 150 Speer's with the often used 52 gr's of IMR 4064.

Shot 165 Speer's well with a thrown together load. Today I tried some old 180 gr Hornady round nose bullets and loaded them with 56 gr's IMR 4350. 56-56.5 usually will be in the ballpark with 180 gr bullets. Just loaded them .050 off same as I did the 165 Speer's.

I also loaded 4 with the last 4 out of an old box of 165 flat base interlocks I've had on the shelf forever. Loaded them at the same 57 gr's and .050 off, same as the 165 Speer's.

I had moved the scope over after shooting the 180's, so I believe these will shoot to the same point of impact. Put 3 together nicely enough then a 4'th shot flier in the dot while trying to shoot between heavy winds that had kicked up.....could've been that, or not, don't know till I'd try them again.

image ru

That rifle is doing well after your work on the bedding. Looks like you can just tweak the sights on one of those loads and go hunting.

gerry":3k222ttd said:
That rifle is doing well after your work on the bedding. Looks like you can just tweak the sights on one of those loads and go hunting.

Yepper pretty tickled with it in an old 98 action. At least I know somebody stuck a straight barrel on it.

I can't imagine any of those pre-determined loads of powder charges and seating depths are spot on as being the best for this rifle, yet 3 shot groups have been under an inch with 3 different bullet types.

I have a few of my own way of doing things when it comes to bedding Mauser's, but after a couple successes in a row I think I'll stick to it.

Thanks fella's. Steadily building confidence in this rifle. Just went back and tested the Speer 165 load again this evening with 57gr of IMR 4350. Once again first 4 shots under an inch at 100, then shanked the 5'th trying to put it in with the rest making the total 5 shot group 1.25". I don't weigh bullets, brass, or turn necks. Just a straight up hunting rig. Has turned into a consistent shooter.

4350 has been a stand up powder for me in the 06, not the fastest, but works. Chrono'd this load for the first time this evening.......those 5 shots averaged 2835 from the 22" barrel with an extreme spread of 10fps. (y) A man could kill a lot of game with that rifle.

Sako2, No sir it's not, they are nice though. This one is a wartime 98 that if I remember correctly has "ar" under the scope base which would make it a Mauser-Werke made in Berlin.

I have 3 fn mausers with the chrome vanadium barrels. A 270 ,30-06, 300 win mag. All 3 shoot under a 1" at 100 yard. The 270 likes imr 7828 with a 140gn speer. The 30-06 likes aa 4350 with a 180 gn sierra gameking. The 300 likes the same powder and bullet. I would love to find out how old they are.

sako2":158pbncj said:
I have 3 fn mausers with the chrome vanadium barrels. A 270 ,30-06, 300 win mag. All 3 shoot under a 1" at 100 yard. The 270 likes imr 7828 with a 140gn speer. The 30-06 likes aa 4350 with a 180 gn sierra gameking. The 300 likes the same powder and bullet. I would love to find out how old they are.

They're great actions. A slicked up M98 and at least in theory a stronger receiver without that thumb cut out for the stripper clips. There are ways to date them. Does yours have the firing pin blocking safety on the bolt, or the side safety?

sako2":1r8azf2w said:
The safety is on the bolt. I believe they're from around the 60's.

Best safety ever designed. There are variations because of people getting modifications done, or maybe special orders from the factory, but in general I think you will find if they have the 2 position low profile safety they are older than that.....early 50's.

If you also tell me they do NOT have a push button hinged floor plate, I would be very confident with that date era.

They have a little button at the back of the floorplate no hinge. A gunsmith told me it's rare to find one of these in a 300 win mag. If i remember right the 300 saftey is on the side of the bolt like a model 70. It looked to be unfired when i bought it.

sako2":1je52uvj said:
They have a little button at the back of the floorplate no hinge. A gunsmith told me it's rare to find one of these in a 300 win mag. If i remember right the 300 saftey is on the side of the bolt like a model 70. It looked to be unfired when i bought it.

There's 2 things that coincide, no hinged drop floor plate like a model 70, and also the 2 position bolt safety, I'd almost guarantee they are early 50's.

The 300 win mag is a different animal. With a model 70 type safety you can throw out dating it off the safety style. That was probably a modification. But if it has the same none hinged floor plate, you can figure it's in the same era.

I'm blessed to live near a couple of older gents that know all things mauser and 03 related. My memory of what they know and have educated me on, just scratches the surface.

I was told that the FN's also used the Greek alphabet as a manufacture date. You could research that and see if you could narrow down the info on the 300 win mag.

I'm not real familiar with the Dumoulin action, Sako other than knowing what they are.

Back