Melting bullet tips

diverdown

Handloader
Apr 29, 2015
I just received my monthly shooting times mag and read a very interesting article on plastic tipped bullets. As most everyone knows Hornady just came out with a newly designed bullet. What I found out was they changed the tip material. Apparently the material originally used (Delrin) was melting at high velocity. I believe FPS was around 3300-3400. This problem was degrading accuracy. Something to think about!

Just sayin',

I use some mentioned plastic-tiped bullets, made by various mfgs. in my 22-250 at near to 4000 fps and have for years. Groups avg. around 1" @ 300 yds. on a good day. Maybe I'm just lucky,

I believe the article said that this only affected the bullets when shooting out past 5 or 6 hundred yards.

Yup. You're not going to see much effect until you get to extended ranges because it will alter the ballistic coefficient in a non uniform way resulting in unpredictable results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think two things are at work with this new bullet tip. (1) Other bullet companies will either pay for the new tip or develop their own IF they believe Hornady has discovered something that benefits the bullet accuracy. (2) The other companies will continue with their current production, calling their accuracy good enough for what their customers have been using.

One bullet company technical representative said Hornady's new bullet tip is based on a theory. I also expected him to tell me basically nothing about changing tips, just as he did. He didn't say if the company he works for will be changing tips.

I thought the articles I read stated the tip melting began at 400 yards and was only in the heavy for caliber bullets with high BCs.

My unscientific opinion is there will be a few companies changing their bullet tips to better compete with Hornady.

Why am I thinking this is much ado about nothing. Has everybody forgotten the picture in several Speer manuals of the high speed photo of a bullet whose nose has melted off? IIRC, they said that was the reason there was no sharp tip on the Grand Slams nose.
I think for my purposes, a bullet like that to the ABLR in say 7MM/150 gr. would be perfect for lower powered cartridges like the 7x57 or possibly the .280 Rem. at the top end. Their velocities would be mostly likely optimal to to 300 or so yards, give or take maybe 50 yards.
Paul B.

Great propaganda from Hornady......but in the real world when used at normal hunting ranges I have no interest in switching from my current bullets.

Perhaps Nosler & others will follow suit, but the greater interest for long range shooters I suspect, will be the much higher BC Hornady claim.

Hornady do make good bullets, but then so do Nosler & I reckon we will all use what works best for our purpose and in our firearms.
Cheers, ET

Ah, but this bunch of realists, me included, isn't who the new bullet is for...

It's for the loooong range guys... And for that purpose, it probably has merit.

Guy

Funny thing about it is in the 1960s Remington had that figured out with bronze tip

FOTIS":2ryvxaoc said:
Funny thing about it is in the 1960s Remington had that figured out with bronze tip
and before that Winchester had the Silver tip long before plastics showed up on bullets. Makes one wonder what will be next.

Where would we be without Hornady and Nosler? Those two companies have been at the forefront of trying to make their bullets better a little bit at a time. I'll never be one that "needs" a bullet that has a tip that doesn't melt since I don't shoot at extreme ranges. Still would like to try the 143 gr ELD-X in my wife's 6.5x55 and the 178 gr in a 30-06, having a bullet that shoots flatter and hits a bit harder is pretty attractive especially in standard velocity rounds like those........

It's always a challenge for me to avoid shooting the latest and greatest. Don't know that I've ever become a better shot because of the components, but I have definitely tried every new thing I could find. Don't see that changing right away.

FOTIS":3h8dx84q said:

I really liked the Bronze tip bullet and harvested quite a few deer with it in 30.06. It was very accurate in my rifle and the majority of the deer that I shot with it fell in the scope when I pulled the trigger.

I don't imagine that i'll try the new bullets because my hunting is mostly done from 350yds and closer and I think the BT's will continue to work just fine for my type hunting.

Most improvements in bullet technology came in small increments over time. This seems to be just another small step forward. Kudos to Hornady.

My guess is that all major bullet manufactures are at least looking into their own tipped bullets to determine if they should make a change in the plastic composition. Why wouldn't they?

I like some Hornady bullets, but this has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

FOTIS":3i0uvsbt said:

This is what I thought also, what's old is new. Makes me Wounder if bronze might be the best material. No melting and stiffer to start the jacket expanding on impact.

Not really hard to understand and Hornady tells us all what is going on, higher BC bullets retain Korea velocity at extended ranges keep the heat up on the tip, even a slight deformation at extended ranges will effect BC laws of physics tells us that is true. The entire concept behind polymer tips was to keep tip deformation down to make a bullet fly more true down range.

They do explain under .500 BC and ranges below 400 yards not REALLY difference to be seen, but beyond that range it does have an effect on BC. Now we can change or alter that flight path with click values or try a tip that is more heat resistant.

These new bullets will not have the impact on those who hunt and shoot below 400 yards or shoot calibers where BC is below .500 but is just another tool for those shooting long range be it hunting or target shooting.

The only thing I have concern is these new bullets have a speed range for expansion down to 1600 FPS where the Nosler LR AccuBond is 1,300 FPS offering more calibers the opportunity to expand at longer ranges.

With all this said, what 2/10 will try shots on game beyond 600 yards anyhow? Those that do not regularly shoot at these ranges and know what their gun will do is not a wise deal, long range shots on game can be done but one must practice and know the wind well in order to pull these shots off with any regularity. A new bullet is not going to take the 300 yard shooter and make him/her a confidant 800+ plus yard shooter by itself.

Hornady came out with new technology and they will sell a pile of these bullets and for those shooting LR comps the Amax is now a thing of the past the ELD match will be the offering from Hornady.

Back