Mill dot VS. TMR

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
I have two scopes that I want to send to Leupold and have the retical changed out to a Mill dot or TMR. My bro has the TMR on his 308 and loves it. When I look through it though it looks pretty busy with all the full mill hashes and half mill hashes. At the same time the hashes take up less target than the mil dots do.

Whats your guys thoughts? Is to busy something you can get used to?

jmad_81

To date, I have only used the Duplex reticle. My long range scopes are set up with M1 dials.

If I were to choose between the MilDot and TMR, I would go with TMR reticle.

JD338

Like JD said, TMR is much more user friendly than Mil-dot reticle. It does look busier but you'll get use to it in a hurry... I did! What I really like about it is the center aperture feature that doesn't eclipse target especially at long range. Here's a 6.5X20X50 MK-4 TMR mounted in my 338. You're looking at 1300 yards.

DSC00272.jpg

Here's the info from Leupold.

http://www2.leupold.com/resources/downl ... Manual.pdf

TMR in a heartbeat. Even a half a heartbeat.

Mil Dot is good. Was good. It's become old school. Go with the TMR and never bother looking back.

jmad,

I'm in the same situation for the new toy coming later on, but have been leaning hard towards the TMR, if not I'll go the M1 Dial direction like JD.

Thanks guys. I was kind of leaning that way. I would go with the M1 dials but this is going on a sporting rifle. They will more than likely never be used out past 600 yards or so (the farthest I have ever shot a big game animal was 425 yrds). I just can't get that excited about using dials for big game hunting out to 700 yards. Anything past that and you start talking a whole new ballgame and the dials are the better choice by far. If I use the ballistics of a 280 AI W/160 AB @ 3000 fps the TMR will get me all the way out to 700 easy. I'll have to look again but I believe that 750 is when the 160 AB is about 1800 fps. 700 is as far as I would want to go anyways.

Of course having the equipment to shoot that far and having the personal skills to shoot that far are two way different things. I won't be taking any shots near that far until I get lots of range time and can regularly hit the 12" gongs off a solid rest.

Thanks for the input guys.

Powerstroke":pn2l10yp said:
jmad,

I'm in the same situation for the new toy coming later on, but have been leaning hard towards the TMR, if not I'll go the M1 Dial direction like JD.

Mark, You can take advantage by having both. My MK-4 has the best of both world. I dialed in for the shot always and use the TMR for wind, leading target and as impact reference for a follow-up shot.

Guy Miner":2ul0sgst said:
TMR in a heartbeat. Even a half a heartbeat.

Mil Dot is good. Was good. It's become old school. Go with the TMR and never bother looking back.

Definately

Back