Minox compact spotter?

Dubyam, I think most of Pentax glass now is Job Shopped for glass and some scope manufacturing. They used to make the optical glass in Japan but I believe most Pentax glass comes from the same Philippine's shop which makes Burris optics, FYI.

I have an older Pentax Whitetail 3-9x40 that I gave to my son for his CZ 6.5.x55 Mannlicher and it was made in Japan but that was 12 years ago when I bought it.

Dub,

From the folks I know who run Pentax equipment, they seem to be pretty happy with it. Sounds like you are getting some great lines on their products for some excellent pricing. Could be a real huge Win-Win situation.

I've got a Pentax Pioneer rifle scope (Burris FFII clone) and it's the first gen made in the Philippines. It's as good as my Leupold Vari-X II and my Bushnell Elite 3200s, or perhaps a little better than both. Certainly crystal clear outside legal shooting hours. The PF65 spotter is Japanese-built (confirmed) and I'm not sure I can argue much with Japanese-built optics these days, based on the performance of the Japanese stuff I've got in house right now. Pentax most assuredly jobs out the glass, but coatings are the key, and they've long been in the forefront of the coating business (leading it back in the 1960s). I'm anxious to look through a PF65 to see how it compares.

@Kelly - I was surprised at what I found price-wise, for the PF65. I can literally pick up the spotter, an eyepiece, and tripod for less than I thought I could get the body. It's not the Pentax eyepiece, but it's a quality eyepiece and should serve me well, according to the various birding optics forum discussions I've read and the two retailers I've talked to about it. I want to look through it first, obviously, so I'm trying to find a shop that carries the scope and at least a comparable eyepiece. May prove difficult, but hopefully it will happen soon. I know I've been pleased with Pentax optics gear; I own three pieces currently, including a point-and-shoot digital camera that recently went in for service and came back perfect. Took a bit, but it was an issue of the factory in Japan sending out new focusing parts as the service center had to replace the entire lens. I'm leaning hard, but either way, I should come out under $700 for the gear overall - perhaps well under! We'll see.

Oldtrader3":v2vi7655 said:
This person may not also understand that Minox has been a West German Optics Company since the 1950's. So I am not sure what he thinks this is about?

My error, I meant to type Leupold, however it is possible some of their parts also come from overseas but at least they are put together in the United States. Dubyam, no axe to grind, I am sure all the men on the forum know exactly what they are talking about. As already stated I agree with Oldtrader3 and his choice of bullets for the 300 and BK in reference to the controlled round feed, which is the only two threads I have been on to date except this one and as I said above I mistyped and put the name of the thread instead of Leupold. SJB358, I do not have a Minox so cannot provide a report on it. I do have a Leupold but I am sure many of the men on the forum also have Leupold

I am sure all the men on the forum know exactly what they are talking about. ( quote hunttheus )

And, women,

Kelly, We have a spotter exactly like yours and it works pretty darn well. Like everything else I have guess who has confiscated it LOL Enjoyed the pictures you posted with your daughter. Another future female hunter. good job Kelly

Dubyam, I had a couple of Pentax TTL Spotmatic II camera bodies back in the 1960-70's and several lenses, made in Japan. Pentax, Canon, Olympus and Nikon were the only lens companies in Japan then. I do not remember when they exactly stopped making lenses in Japan but I think it was in the early 2000's after I bought the Whitetail scope had a couple of their binoculars which were Japanese desgn and made in the 1990's

alaska100":2cvze1v3 said:
I am sure all the men on the forum know exactly what they are talking about. ( quote hunttheus )

And, women,

Kelly, We have a spotter exactly like yours and it works pretty darn well. Like everything else I have guess who has confiscated it LOL Enjoyed the pictures you posted with your daughter. Another future female hunter. good job Kelly

Some women, I am sure, but then you have other women who also believe that Wolves dont hunt people down and kill them. But this is a topic for another time and place

To the op. Take a look at Leupold, dependable spotters, with a good warranty and made in the United States

hunttheus":27jpg5gf said:
alaska100":27jpg5gf said:

And, women,

Some women, I am sure, but then you have other women who also believe that Wolves dont hunt people down and kill them. But this is a topic for another time and place

To the op. Take a look at Leupold, dependable spotters, with a good warranty and made in the United States

Right. There hasn't been a documented case of wolves hunting anyone down and killing them in ages. Any such stories in recent history have been hearsay...

dubyam":g044hl9p said:
I've got a Pentax Pioneer rifle scope (Burris FFII clone) and it's the first gen made in the Philippines. It's as good as my Leupold Vari-X II and my Bushnell Elite 3200s, or perhaps a little better than both. Certainly crystal clear outside legal shooting hours. The PF65 spotter is Japanese-built (confirmed) and I'm not sure I can argue much with Japanese-built optics these days, based on the performance of the Japanese stuff I've got in house right now. Pentax most assuredly jobs out the glass, but coatings are the key, and they've long been in the forefront of the coating business (leading it back in the 1960s). I'm anxious to look through a PF65 to see how it compares.

@Kelly - I was surprised at what I found price-wise, for the PF65. I can literally pick up the spotter, an eyepiece, and tripod for less than I thought I could get the body. It's not the Pentax eyepiece, but it's a quality eyepiece and should serve me well, according to the various birding optics forum discussions I've read and the two retailers I've talked to about it. I want to look through it first, obviously, so I'm trying to find a shop that carries the scope and at least a comparable eyepiece. May prove difficult, but hopefully it will happen soon. I know I've been pleased with Pentax optics gear; I own three pieces currently, including a point-and-shoot digital camera that recently went in for service and came back perfect. Took a bit, but it was an issue of the factory in Japan sending out new focusing parts as the service center had to replace the entire lens. I'm leaning hard, but either way, I should come out under $700 for the gear overall - perhaps well under! We'll see.

Dub,

That is a heck of a deal!! I hope that you like the Pentax glass and you make a purchase on some equipment you truly will enjoy to use.

It'll either be the Pentax or the Vortex, Kelly. Whichever one my eye seems to prefer! (Both are stellar deals...)

alaska100":7gwj5krd said:

And, women,

Sean,

Thanks. Great job yourself for teaching your daughter to be such a hunting fool like the rest of us as well! lol

I hadn't known you bought one of these spotters. That is very cool! Have you really got it out and put it to the test yet? Or should I say, has your daughter ran it through its paces? lol

Kelly, she has sir and really likes it. I dont know if you remember but she is working a summer job caring for a stable of horses for a guide and she told me he is going to buy one after using hers ( or mine LOL )

Kelly--Ref. Wolves--where is Citori when you need him LOL

Dubyam, did you see that 257 Weatherby that was used by Roy in Africa that was for sale a while back. Would have been a great collectable, if one could afford it, and I cant

@alaska - I did not see that. Would love to see a link if you have one. I'm sure it's out of my price range. Heck, right now, if houses were selling 2 for $1, I couldn't afford doorknobs!

hunttheus":1zhw2h1j said:
alaska100":1zhw2h1j said:

And, women,

:shock:
Pretty interesting thread, until this unwarrented negative gender stuff started!
I would tread lightly in that regard!!! This evidently a second bone you want to fight over.
On the other hand, I wonder if it aint the same one WS.270 refered to, only in different context.

That being said, I'm not in position for most of the high end glass of any application.
I will say I have had good results from Nikon's entry to mid level stuff. Or at least is suffice's my needs and want's. Generally speaking, I think their glass is pretty darn good when comparing dollar to dollar. I can't say to the OP's question, but as I said, it has been an interesting thread getting many points of view and experience's!

hunttheus,

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to disregard the last bit of this thread. I'm not sure I can gain much knowledge from someone who would make posts such as that. I don't know you from anyone else...if I would run into you on the street, I wouldn't know it. As such, I'll assume that what we have here is a misunderstanding based on only communicating via text.

If that is a naive assumption on my part, I'm sadden. I'm the father of three daughters, and I would be pretty offended if you meant that comment as it appears you meant it.

Actually, I live on the Yellow Brick Road to Oz that some call I-5 in Washington State and I would hazzard a guess that over half of the men who live in Bellingham, Washington and/or attend Western Washington State University who defend wolf repopulations don't believe that wolves hurt anyone either, including human or other game. Just big furry pets, wolves are!

Back