Minox compact spotter?

tddeangelo":3ddaftmv said:
SJB358":3ddaftmv said:
tddeangelo":3ddaftmv said:
Dub, you and me both, man. I'm rifle-rich and cash-poor.....

LOL

There are worse things I imagine?

No doubt there are, Scotty. :)

How about being poor because of what you have spent on rifles and find you are also gun poor because your son and daughter has confiscated everything. both the kids have summer jobs and are working in the mountains. Each one took a shotgun, two rifles and a hand gun--which means eight guns have disappeared, including the 300 H & H I just got. --- :-(

alaska100":2ohxubr6 said:
tddeangelo":2ohxubr6 said:
SJB358":2ohxubr6 said:
There are worse things I imagine?

No doubt there are, Scotty. :)

How about being poor because of what you have spent on rifles and find you are also gun poor because your son and daughter has confiscated everything. both the kids have summer jobs and are working in the mountains. Each one took a shotgun, two rifles and a hand gun--which means eight guns have disappeared, including the 300 H & H I just got. --- :-(

That's a rough one, Sean, but look at it this way.....your kids are hunters! :)

Right now, I have enough M70's to give one to each kid and leave one for me. When the next addition appears on Sat, I'll even have a spare. ;)

See, that is what I keep telling you Sean, stock up on the Model 70's, you never know when you will need one!

See, that is what I keep telling you Sean, stock up on the Model 70's, you never know when you will need one!

By that criterion, we'd better stock up on spotting scopes as well. One for each child? :shock:

DrMike":kwnhekmo said:

By that criterion, we'd better stock up on spotting scopes as well. One for each child? :shock:

Until they reach a certain age, empty papertowel tubes suffice.

tddeangelo":w6n98lh1 said:
DrMike":w6n98lh1 said:

:lol: :lol:
I remember those days

DrMike":p2opq85a said:

I believe I'm still at that stage!

I think it is the circle of life Mike. At the ranges you hunt, I imagine an empty paper towel tube has plenty of magnification!

SJB358":3abv25vs said:

I rest my case LOL ( just joking with you Scotty )

Dr. Mike, I am also using papertowel tubes--thanks to my children.

Tom, you are correct, and as irritated as I become at times with them, I am equally as glad that they both have jobs, both love the outdoors and hunting. I would even be happier with them if they bought their own guns, scopes, spotting scopes, bullets, LOL

Tom, my son did get the summer job of helping guides take tourist and hunters down the porcupine river, I think it is a great experience for him, even thou I think he mainly paddles, breaks and sets up camp, and finds the camp food. My daughter is also in the high mountains caring and shoeing horses for a guide and she is also very happy with her job. the only part of her message I didnt like was how cute she thinks one of the teenage boys is ------Tom, your day is coming as is Kellys, in fact Kellys day is almost upon him and I would add a LOL but it is not funny, not for a dad anyway

At the ranges you hunt, I imagine an empty paper towel tube has plenty of magnification!

That's about accurate. If the animals were curious, I might never shoot anything. As it is, they wonder what that bumbling thing is that is tripping over itself and falling down. Or perhaps the game is more sympathetic than I might imagine. If they are close enough that I can feel fur, I'm certain to hit 'em. :grin:

My youngest child will turn 30 in September, my oldest is 46. I still have (3) grandchildren who are less than 10 years old and will probably have to supply them with some rifles and handgun eventually. The boys have been outfitted in spades. I have given each of the three boys a Kimber or S&W handgun and two name brand rifles and/or a Browning auto shotgun for each. The rifles mostly have VXIII Leupold or Zeiss scopes on them. One teenaged grandchild got a almost new and free Winchester SX2 shotgun and a good deal on a Browning Medallion .280 Rifle with a free Bushnell Elite scope.

Plus, I have given them each a complete halibut plus King salmon fishing rigs each with Loomis or St. Croix, salt-water rods plus 2-speed Shimano or Penn International reels. When I die, there will be a couple of fully custom rifles left which I will give to my oldest son, along with my gold Rolex. He is the only one that comes to see me.

Both of the daughter's are liberal yuppies and make yecching sounds when I mention guns to them. So they will get something else when I pass. Three youngest children had free college educations at the school of their choice as well. Now the college grad, advanced degree, kids are snobs (my ex taught them that) and live in New Yawk. I am plain, old and retired country folk with only an old-fashioned business masters degree and no money, not worth their trouble to call, send a birthday card or actually go see once in a while. I can't give them anything that they might want anymore since I have no money after educating them.

OK, just to close this out.....I just bought a spotter. Long story on why/how I found myself arriving at the decision I did. Short version....circumstances and timing are EVERYTHING.

End result..... a screaming deal on a Zeiss Victory 20-75x85 T* FL spotter.

DrMike":259z1gkx said:
Optics wise, you scored big time. Congratulations.

Thanks, DrMike.

I managed to get it for about $900 off retail because Doug from CLNY was offloading his showroom display model. BUT....Zeiss has a $500 rebate running on them now, and it's not good on designated "show demo's". This was not such a scope. It was Doug's that he put out to show in the shop. I may get shot down, but I'm gonna put in for the rebate. It's already a buy, it's a GREAT buy if that rebate comes through!

If that one does, than the other offer from Zeiss for a free tripod should also come through. In that case, I'll have the scope and a decent tripod in hand for a hair over 1/2 of retail price. Scotty's been a little off his rocker today since he heard that news!

Scotty's been a little off his rocker today since he heard that news!

I'd guess! :mrgreen: That is great--just phenomenal! Congratulations. It is always good to see someone I know getting those good deals.

You got a great deal. Until recently, these premium optics manufacturers almost never discounted, even when changing or phasing models, price was much reduced. Good deal Tom!

Thanks, guys. As usual, CLNY is super fast and the scope is already in transit. Since I'm close to NYC, I will probably get my hands on it Monday. Thank God they shipped it FedEx with signature required. When I got my VX7 from Midway, they shipped UPS and it was left right out in the open on my front porch.

FedEx Tracking says it's on the truck for delivery! Wow! I have things to do mid-day today (wanted to hit the range if possible), but no way am I letting that truck show up to an empty house!

I will be leaving at 4 to bowhunt (today's opening day of the season), so you KNOW that truck will show up around 4:15.

Still, that is great service, Tom. The pictures you are sure to post will generate appropriate envy in most of us frequenting the forum.

Back