Minox ZA-3 came...review and impressions

I'm curious about your thoughts on the two reticles. I've been thinking about trying a #4 in something, but they vary so much from manufacturer to manufacturer, I'm a little hesitant.

I've got the #4 reticle 3x9 Minox on my Whelen. Love it. Very fast to pick up. I want a 1.5x8 with the same reticle for my 358 Win.

Oldtrader3":2k2uudfp said:
That would drive me crazy, I have never owned a .257 Bee but certainly would really want to light it up if I did. So, you bought the new Vanguard?

Nah... plus I really compromised on the deal. Sportsman's had the old Vanguards sitting on the shelf for $349. Figuring it won't get much better than that, I went ahead and bought one with a synthetic stock figuring I can dress it properly in walnut at a later time (Of course Cabelas throws em on sale for 339 a couple weeks later). I don't know if I'm kicking myself yet or not as I have no idea when I'll get around to that project. Almost thinking i should have opened the wallet a bit further and gotten the VGD S2 for $429... seems to be a better stock... as far as improper stock materials go... but that's a whole other debate!

BK":ojsx23sb said:
I'm curious about your thoughts on the two reticles. I've been thinking about trying a #4 in something, but they vary so much from manufacturer to manufacturer, I'm a little hesitant.
I went with a #4 in a ZA3 to try something different and I really liked the sample images I'd seen of the Minox #4. I put it on a 338WM which I think would be a good fit for what I use the gun for (I think SJB358 had a bit to do with that recommendation if I'm not mistaken). The main posts are heavy but not intrusive. The cross hairs are relatively fine, but still easy to see as The Big Man starts dimming the lights.

Not sure that I would have been in such a hurry to close that deal on an old model with the new S-2 Vanguards being introduced. Just figuring that they will try and run their marketing introduction as far past Christmas as they can (Weatherby). The only issue that would concern me with the new Vanguard versus the old is the trigger quality issue which I understand has been dramatically improved in the S2, despite a 2 stage action.

Vanguards are popular and the .257 Bee is one of the most popular cartridges. You probably will come out just fine on this, no matter what. Let us know how it shoots.

BK":d6xivhdf said:

Kurt -
It is the easiest reticle for me to "get on" moving game of any reticle out there. If you are in thick stuff it is especially good. It wouldn't be my choice for a varmint rifle, but it is great on your rifles that it may be necessary to shoot at something trying to put as much space as possible between the two of you.

The #4 does vary from one manufacturer to the next on how heavy the post and crosshairs are, so you need to look at the examples before you buy. The Minox version is pretty good...Swarovski has the best one in my book.

257 Ackley":ensc560x said:
BK":ensc560x said:

Kurt -
It is the easiest reticle for me to "get on" moving game of any reticle out there. If you are in thick stuff it is especially good. It wouldn't be my choice for a varmint rifle, but it is great on your rifles that it may be necessary to shoot at something trying to put as much space as possible between the two of you.

The #4 does vary from one manufacturer to the next on how heavy the post and crosshairs are, so you need to look at the examples before you buy. The Minox version is pretty good...Swarovski has the best one in my book.

I like mine a bunch. Great reticle. Joel talked me into it! Now I wanna few more!

tddeangelo":1nuvrha6 said:
I was actually considering the 4-16x44, Scotty, if I went with a Meostar. Slightly larger objective with same bottom end magnification. I don't really need 16x on the top end, lol, but oh well.

I still have to think about the VX6 if I go that route, because a 2-12x42 sounds pretty good, too.

Tom,

Be sure to ask Aleena what they think of that scope before you haul off and buy it. chs

c. schutte":312hxr4h said:
tddeangelo":312hxr4h said:
I was actually considering the 4-16x44, Scotty, if I went with a Meostar. Slightly larger objective with same bottom end magnification. I don't really need 16x on the top end, lol, but oh well.

I still have to think about the VX6 if I go that route, because a 2-12x42 sounds pretty good, too.

Tom,

Be sure to ask Aleena what they think of that scope before you haul off and buy it. chs

Charles, could you also invite Aleena and the others over as well.. I think they would like it here. They have alot of great intel. Scotty

SJB358":28vcj95e said:
c. schutte":28vcj95e said:
tddeangelo":28vcj95e said:

Tom,

Charles, could you also invite Aleena and the others over as well.. I think they would like it here. They have alot of great intel. Scotty

I will when I can access the PM feature on Brand X. Good to see you and thanks for the help.

Well, there goes the neighborhood! :grin:

Good to see you here, Charles! I think you'll find this place all the good and not much of the bad. Great folks on here, for sure.

dubyam":l3cxzep5 said:
Well, there goes the neighborhood! :grin:

Good to see you here, Charles! I think you'll find this place all the good and not much of the bad. Great folks on here, for sure.

Good to be able to converse with you on the same forum dubbie! By the way, first round on me when you are in town. chs

I have a meopta thanks to Charles

I have a VX7 thanks to Tom

I have a VX6 thanks to Aleena

As everyone can see from Toms review of the minox, they are all three very knowledgeable and have been helpful to a lot of fellow hunters, like myself.

I am not that knowledgeable and I also recommend that charles invites her over and then ask her for a review of the 6 .

It is good to be here, so that I can continue my education from AJJ the members of this forum

Alaska100,

Good to have you aboard. Tom, however, is impatient. He didn't wait for the VX6. I'll let him look through mine when he visits up north. :mrgreen: Tom, that offer stands.

alaska100":23i6099p said:
I have a meopta thanks to Charles

I have a VX7 thanks to Tom

I have a VX6 thanks to Aleena

As everyone can see from Toms review of the minox, they are all three very knowledgeable and have been helpful to a lot of fellow hunters, like myself.

I am not that knowledgeable and I also recommend that charles invites her over and then ask her for a review of the 6 .

It is good to be here, so that I can continue my education from AJJ the members of this forum

Well now,
You change handles faster than tico changes blaze orange thongs.............. :grin:

DrMike":1rygca1x said:
Alaska100,

Good to have you aboard. Tom, however, is impatient. He didn't wait for the VX6. I'll let him look through mine when he visits up north. :mrgreen: Tom, that offer stands.

DrMike,

I read where you were reviewing the VX6. Has that happened? Like Tom I am waiting to see if it is able to hang with the big boys in low light. thanks............chs

Hopefully, I'll be at the range with it later this week, together with a few other scopes.

charles

bill collectors LOL

Dr. Mike

I feel the VX6, is better then the VX7 or 3 and I am not unhappy at all. However I had a very specific reason for getting it ( rifle and trip ) I lucked out and that rifle and scope is now working locally but will still be the scope I use on an upcoming trip.

Otherwise I would be wishing I had been like Charles and Tom and had waited, because there is a 3-18 x 40 that will be out soon that I will be trying to figure out how to buy.

Admittedly, my best scopes before this were only the leupold 3 and 7 , Zeiss, and Meopta. I will not be getting rid of any of these scopes but feel the Vx6 is the best of the group I have. I have nothing with the following letters in the name of the scope - Swaro and at the rate my kids go through money I never will LOL

As far as how it preforms not only in low light but in bright light, it is again the best of the ones I have, but I dont have any high end scopes

My first impression of the VX6 is positive. Initial tests compared very favourably to a Swarovski Z6. I hope to get out for an early morning test yet this week. I have two VX7s, and they are excellent glass. The VX6 is just as good with the different power ring. I would not hesitate to buy another.

Back