Model 70 30-06 build thread...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
I did a thread similar to this with the one that got ruined...figured I'd start another one for this rifle.

The plan is:
SC made model 70 long action
#3 contour barrel...barrel maker still undecided but leaning towards a Krieger...chromoly steel with a SAAMI chamber.
Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 (Z600)
Talley Lightweight mounts
McMillan Supergrade stock (same stock that was on the other rifle)

Looking to end up at around 9 lbs. loaded weight (sling, scope, ammo)...no more than 9.25 lbs....been playing around with barrel weight calculators, found out that there ain't much difference between a #3 (medium sporter) 30 caliber barrel and a #2 (standard sporter) 27/28 caliber barrel...I'm gonna go with the #3.

Thats as far as I've gotten...this is gonna take a while probably...I'm expecting at least a year before I get the finished rifle in my hands, maybe more....unless I happen to find the right barrel in stock somewhere in the next few days.

Gonna cash out some vacation pay in a couple weeks (vacation resets 5/28)...that should give me the funds to get this ball rolling.

Sounds like a perfect build. Since your ordering a barrel, I'd see if Krieger can match your old rifles contour if you liked it. Might make bedding it back to your stock easier and they seem plenty heavy enough as is. If your planning to take it West, 9lb's is just about right for a rock solid shooter and a rifle you can move around without wheels under it.

RR, that sound like a great build. There is just something about a custom rifle build that gets my adrenalin going :wink:. I am looking forward to journey of the build hopefully with lots of photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Just for me personally, I'd have a hard time buying an aftermarket CM barrel

Good luck on the build. It sounds pretty sweet. The 30-06 is one that deserves to be "customized" for sure!! :grin: It is such a fantastic cartridge. So what weight bullet do you intend to shoot? For me personally, depending on use, the 165 gr. in the 30-06 is superb. IMR4350 or H4350 and you are all set.

Get us some pictures as soon as you can.

Do tell.
Please don't delete this thread. :)
There is much information to be gleaned in this and other threads even if the situation that precipitated the original message has changed.

Vince

Grizzly stocks a wide variety of Bartlein barrels in common calibers, lengths, and twists. If you want a premium barrel fast, I'd look there.

Back