Model 70 35 Newton

Of course you realize that you will have a hell of a time when it comes to picking a rifle for elk!

DrMike":2d8eag80 said:
Realistically, Scotty, the VX3 is good glass. Except for extremes of light, it works very well. I sometimes fear I'm becoming a scope snob, when there is good to excellent glass at what is comparably bargain prices.

I agree Mike. While I want one of the higher end scopes, I am not so sure it's a smart play. I am not buying anything for awhile, so I have some time to mull it over. I don't think I would miss out with a lesser type VX3 either.

Dub, that scope is on my skyline as well. I like the 2-10's (I have 5 of them) and they have been good, but I want a little more FOV on the low end. Gotta check the 1.5x8 and compare it to some others. Might make my mind up. Doug might have one laying around with a #4 too?

Yeah, I think the Whelen will stick around. I have thought of selling it a few times. It has a good history with me though. Even though it is an evil Remington, it is a great shooter and still serves a purpose. Not sure what kinda play it'll get with the Newton around, but we shall see... I am pretty sure my son could put it to good use..

pre6422hornet":egwj71lp said:
Or he could ditch the REm, buy a nice donor M70, rebore to 35 Whelen, then father can run the Newton, and the son can run the Whelen...

Their problem solved.

Funny you mention that idea...... I've got a M70 Supergrade in 30-06 that I'm considering having it bored out and a set of NEGC open sights added. HMMMM.......Thinking!

Scott

muleman":1h22rpr6 said:
pre6422hornet":1h22rpr6 said:
Or he could ditch the REm, buy a nice donor M70, rebore to 35 Whelen, then father can run the Newton, and the son can run the Whelen...

Their problem solved.

Funny you mention that idea...... I've got a M70 Supergrade in 30-06 tat I'm considering having it bored out and a set of NEGC open sights added. HMMMM.......Thinking!

Scott

Those NECG sights are one of those things I'd like to have on the Newton in the future..

That sounds like a very cool rebore Scott.

FOTIS":l9r63sk9 said:
Of course you realize that you will have a hell of a time when it comes to picking a rifle for elk!

Don't think it hasn't made me lose sleep. That's why I am going slowly right now. Figure I will deal with 2013 elk hunting before I muddy the water for 2014...

muleman":3q9msg93 said:
Funny you mention that idea...... I've got a M70 Supergrade in 30-06 tat I'm considering having it bored out and a set of NEGC open sights added. HMMMM.......Thinking!

Scott

That would be one excellent rifle, Scott. It would be just right the elk fields.

Congratulations! I can understand your excitement! You are truly blessed and I don't think a gift like that could have gone to a better guy!

I'm sure it will serve you well!

I think any of the new 5x mag scopes out there would work great with this cartridge. It definitely has some reach out and touch something capabilities but enough oomph to handle tight, dangerous work as well. Any scope with 1.5-7.5x or 2-10x would be perfect IME.

You have plenty of years to figure it all out. Enjoy your hunts this year as next year will be even harder to figure which irons will accompany you!

Go shoot an elk with your .338, Pre 64 Alaskan and then worry about complications, Scotty. Have fun and get one this year!

Congrats on the friends, family and rifle. Its time for you and the 338 to speak and next trip, have the 35's ready for calling. Good luck on your hunt.

Actually Scotty, with the 280 grain Swift at 2500+, you are approaching the 270 grain, .375 Ouch & Ouch for velocity and energy. With my 9.3x74R I am getting about 2400 fps with the 286 grain bullet. The 9.3x74R was also invented in 1905. Amazing how these old cartridges in new strong actions can carry the mail for elk hunting or and medium rifle duty, world wide.

As you know, I have the Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX3 on my 9.3x74R rifle and it does fairly with the heavy #4 reticle out to 100 yards. I am shooting starting loads (62 grs of IMR 4350) and am getting groups in the 1-1/4 inch range at 100 yards. However with that heavy reticle of the Leupold, I don't think that I can shoot much better than 1-1/4 groups @ 100 yards. I honestly think that I want to continue load development by using the grain AccuBond at 2550 fps with higher ballistic coefficient and put the 2.5-8x32 Conquest back on that No. 1 Ruger rifle. This would give me the capacity of being able to shoot MOA groups with that Ruger as the rifle is capable of doing.

Scotty, This is the first I have read about this! That is freaking awesome! Talk about putting the smack down on some critters with something that not a lot of people have even heard of!

That is going to be one fine rifle.

Oldtrader3":2pzchp3x said:
Actually Scotty, with the 280 grain Swift at 2500+, you are approaching the 270 grain, .375 Ouch & Ouch for velocity and energy. With my 9.3x74R I am getting about 2400 fps with the 286 grain bullet. The 9.3x74R was also invented in 1905. Amazing how these old cartridges in new strong actions can carry the mail for elk hunting or and medium rifle duty, world wide.

As you know, I have the Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX3 on my 9.3x74R rifle and it does fairly with the heavy #4 reticle out to 100 yards. I am shooting starting loads (62 grs of IMR 4350) and am getting groups in the 1-1/4 inch range at 100 yards. However with that heavy reticle of the Leupold, I don't think that I can shoot much better than 1-1/4 groups @ 100 yards. I honestly think that I want to continue load development by using the grain AccuBond at 2550 fps with higher ballistic coefficient and put the 2.5-8x32 Conquest back on that No. 1 Ruger rifle. This would give me the capacity of being able to shoot MOA groups with that Ruger as the rifle is capable of doing.

I think 2500 is real easy out of this rifle, just looking at QL Charlie. My 338 Win Mag will do an easy 2650 with 275 Speer's, so I am thinking the Newton should run in the same ballpark with the 280. I am looking forward to working with those BIG bullets a little. I agree, the old cartridges are pretty cool when they are housed in new actions. Really don't give up much to the latest and greatest.. Newer powders like RL17 really let them shine a little brighter as well.

I think that 2.5x8 on the 9.3 would be a great idea Charlie. It's ashame to keep such a nice scope on your 22. I know it's an excellent 22, but that Zeiss is an excellent piece of glass for a rifle like your #1.

jmad_81":2pzchp3x said:
Scotty, This is the first I have read about this! That is freaking awesome! Talk about putting the smack down on some critters with something that not a lot of people have even heard of!

That is going to be one fine rifle.

Thanks Jake. I am looking forward to working with the rifle in the future. It is about as nice as it gets for handling. Should be a great elk rifle when it is all put together. Trying to go a little slower with this one right now. Elk hunt is about 2 weeks away, the 338 is ready to roll. Once I get back from Or, I am in the muzzleloader then onto the gun season here in Va. Might be awhile till I can run the 35 Newton in, but if it shoots decent, I think it's going to be alot of fun.

I did bed the recoil lug in the B&C, so that is ready to go as well.

You and Brian are heading out this way for elk season, are you not? Let me look through my pile of unmounted scopes and see what I can find, I may have something you can borrow until you can make a decision as to what you want on there more permanently. If so, maybe I could drive over to deliver it and buy you guys some grub.

I know for sure I have a B&C 4.5-14 VX3 Leupy!

BK":155bp09v said:
You and Brian are heading out this way for elk season, are you not? Let me look through my pile of unmounted scopes and see what I can find, I may have something you can borrow until you can make a decision as to what you want on there more permanently. If so, maybe I could drive over to deliver it and buy you guys some grub.

I know for sure I have a B&C 4.5-14 VX3 Leupy!

This year it is just me. My elk hunting traveling partner ditched me this year. :lol:

Yeah, that 4.5x14 is a little too much for the Newton... Besides, I am sure you have something you can use it on! HA!

Another scope I sorta forgot about was the 1.75x6 VX3.. Pretty reasonably priced as well, and right in the power range I am looking at. That is another I wouldn't mind putting atop the rifle. They are pretty compact as well.

Back