Model 725 280 Remington

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I found this gem a little while back. I’m not a Remington fella, but these were sorta neat rifles to me and since I’m fairly fond of the 280 I decided to see what it’d do.

I decided to see what it would do with 140 SBTs and RL26

Speed looked good so loaded 5 and started shooting.

Those all printed pretty good, so I decided to try 140 Partitions. Not as great. But they were okay.

Then I decided to see how BBCs would print next to the Sierras and Partitions.

Sierras

So, I ended up just zeroing up the BBCs and will give them a whirl on deer this weekend. They shot pretty well and I know they’ll work excellent. The Partitions shoot plenty close enough I can use them to refine a longer zero and just check it with a BBC or two.

Nice find Scotty. Looks like it's going to shoot well. Good replacement for the one you sent off to become a 9.3x62.

gerry":29s0ljrn said:
Nice find Scotty. Looks like it's going to shoot well. Good replacement for the one you sent off to become a 9.3x62.

Yeah, I like it Gerry. It isn’t original since it has a recoil pad (that doesn’t work for beans) and has been bedded, but the metal is nice and the stock ain’t bad. I think they were only made from 58-61 so it’s sort of a rare bird. Love the safety on it though.

That's a neat old rifle that groups well. Hope you get that deer this week with it. Dan.

Those are way cool old rifles Scotty! I love the rocker safety's on them! That's a nice one for sure. Actually a bucket list rifle for me when I get around to it or run across the right one. Congratulations. (y)

Thanks fellas. I kinda like it so far.

It made me smile when it hammered the BBCs. Those are my favorite hunting bullet and when a rifle shoots them that well it’s hard for me to put it down.

Beautiful rifle Scotty. You are getting excellent velocity and accuracy with the 140 gr BBC. I hope you get the chance to hammer a big buck this weekend. You will be pleased with the performance of the 280 Remington on deer. It doesn't get any better.

JD338

Every 280 I've owned managed to shoot quite well. The cartridge seems created for that 7mm pill. Neat find, Scotty.

Aaah, the upgraded 721, made to compete more directly with Model 70's. A friend has it's twin, and it shoots just as well. I think Remington put a little more care and effort on these. EE2

It is very similar to my P64 Featherweight. It is a touch heavier, but overall, pretty similar. And yeah, the darned thing shoots pretty decent. It's kinda neat as most everything is 700 like, except the safety and a nice bolt handle for my big paws.

Cool rifle... in a great caliber.

Back when I bought wood/blued rifles.... I found that a lot of the older rifles I bought, with wood stocks that had been bedded, shot better once I dug the old bedding out and re-bedded them.

I betcha I could have that purdy stock looking like a fence post in a couple WA big game seasons.

Wow Scotty what a find! That was made when Remington was really making superb rifles and the 280 Remington is one of the best cartridges out there. (No bias on my part!). What is wrong with you though?????? WTH weren't there some 140 grain Accubonds shot through it? That's just sacrilegious on your part!

Hope to see success photo's soon.

Wow Scotty what a find! That was made when Remington was really making superb rifles and the 280 Remington is one of the best cartridges out there. (No bias on my part!). What is wrong with you though?????? WTH weren't there some 140 grain Accubonds shot through it? That's just sacrilegious on your part!

That safety button is off the 1914 and 1917 Enfields. Very nice looking rifle and shoots good too. Looks like a win win thing to me.
Paul B.

Nice find Scotty and it looks like it was taken care of and. If it doesn't have the Rem poly finish it may have been refinish also. They came with a metal butt plate that was aluminum .
Some say it was the best Rem bolt action made.

The 725 was my first bolt action rifle and was chambered in 30-06. I bought it used for $75 back in the day. it had a history where it had been stolen from a local shop and found in a creek where the thieves had tossed it when they got scared. It was sticking out of the mud when some kids found it and gave it to the state police who returned it to the shop.
I bought it and cleaned the mud out of it and shot it so much I burned the throat out.
It accounted for my first rack buck and many more before I had it rebarreled in 257 Roberts.
The short little Roberts functions great threw the long action with no feed problems.
the 725 also known as the Kodiak action and is built like a tank and I think it was intended for the new magnum cartridges that Winchester was coming out with but I could be wrong.

6mm Remington":3cssur9p said:

I’ll give a few Accubonds and Ballistic Tips a shot as well. Hunted with it this weekend but nothing I wanted to kill. It’s a neat rifle.

Songdog":3cssur9p said:
Cool rifle... in a great caliber.

Back when I bought wood/blued rifles.... I found that a lot of the older rifles I bought, with wood stocks that had been bedded, shot better once I dug the old bedding out and re-bedded them.

I betcha I could have that purdy stock looking like a fence post in a couple WA big game seasons.
Songdog said:
Hahahahaha! I don’t need any extra help!

Back