moly coat bullets good or bad?

rkymt hunter

Beginner
Jan 29, 2006
anything good or bad about moly coating bullets was thinking about 22-250,223,243 wssm and if it works out then thinking bigger like 7 mm,300win,30-378 wyb, anybody have problems?

I moly coat all of my varmint bullets and have been doing so for years without a single problem. A well seasoned moly coated barrel can fire a considerable quantity of ammo before accuracy degrades. That's why it is normally used in high volume rifles. I do not bother using moly in my biggame rifles. It doesn't hurt, but I really don't see much advantage either.

Moly use has become very controversial. It seems that some guys love the stuff while others hate it. No one seems to be in the middle. :roll:

If you do a search for moly on a few web sites you will be sure to find enough reading material to take you right through to the next deer season. :lol:

for me iv''e had zero problems i shoot coated and un coated it doesn''t matter ,hunting target what ever!!!, where people goof-up is they don''t properly clean their rifle barrels before useing moly bullets, whats the saying '' ignorance is bliss '' regards jjmp

ok if the gun never had anything but moly through it that is good,but when say say clean it correctly ? and do i need to season the barrel to shot moly and if so how? and thanks for the help :grin:

ANytime you plan on shooting a different style of bullet, the barrel should be fully cleaned. The jacket material on bullets are different from one another and to give them a "fair chance" it should be cleaned. I have shot moly bullets at least through every rifle I own, but dont really see an advantage to them. YOu can usualy attain a litle more velocity, only because it drops the pressure, allowing you to put in a couple more grains to either match or exceed the velocity of a noncoated bullet of same weight. I have shot great groups both short and long with moly and non moly bullets. I just haven't been able to tell the difference.

Going back and forth between moly and non-moly is the biggest problem. If you go with moly, stick with it until and unless you plan to switch back for good. The Combined Technologies coating is better for switching back and forth with uncoated bullets.

Michael Courtney

Back