Montana Rifle Company

walkinhorseman

Beginner
Sep 28, 2010
Anyone on here have any experience with these rifles? Have you had one in your hands?
Seems like a lot of dollar value for the price point.

We recently had this very discussion. I have the X2 and member Rol_P has the ASR. They are fantastic rifles, and yes a great value. What are you looking at?

26NosFan":2ccjahbd said:
We recently had this very discussion. I have the X2 and member Rol_P has the ASR. They are fantastic rifles, and yes a great value. What are you looking at?
Not sure what caliber. Probably an X2. Either 260, 7-08, or 6.5 Creedmoor. Their twist in the 6.5 are a little slow. I would prefer 1-8" to shoot 140's. I'm more interested in hearing about general quality and accuracy. If they had a classic style laminated wood stock, I could be interested in that. I don't care too much for their wood stock pattern.

My X2 is in 26 nosler. I had the same reservations about the twist as well. With 140 factory loads I getting about an inch and half inch with the 129s. The fit and fish are very good though there are cast marks on the parts of the receiver you can't see. The composite stock is fantastic. I'm not a fan of the ASR pattern either. The barrel shot in fast and does not foul easily either, they are hand lapped and it shows. It is a well made well put together rifle. I don't regret buy it in the least and will likely buy another in a big bore. For the money I think it is the best buy out there. Good luck on your choice, an X2 in 260 would be awesome in my opinion.

I'm glad to see a company like this make it. The only addition that I would make to their designs is an integral dovetail aka Ruger/Sako. I hope that the mount screws are 8-40, although they are probably 6-48 to take Model 70 factory mounts. These rifles look like the poorman's H-S Precision at 1/3 the price. There is nothing better on a hunting rifle than a Model 70 style safety.

not sure of the thread size. I went with talley one piece LWs that are marked for Model 70 and MRC1999 so I am guessing they are standard M70 as you think. I do love the safety. I have no complaints other than its heavier than I wanted to be for this rifle but that was the tradeoff going with a LA and 26in tube. Then i went with a pretty heavy scope too. All in i'm just over 9 lbs. The stock is bedded and barrel floated and slim through the grip. Has a very nice texture and matte finish. Here are pics of mine.

Attachments

• MRC X2 26 nos 2.jpg
    MRC X2 26 nos 2.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 930
  • MRC X2 26 nos 1.jpg
    MRC X2 26 nos 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 930
Great looking rifles. Handled a buddies 338 WM X2 and it seems like a lot of rifle for the money.

Thanks for the pictures and the feedback. I like the 'slim through the grip' comment. The grip radius and profile make or break a stock for me. I have always liked McMillian Classics and H-S for this reason. The Cooper stocks by B&C don't feel comfortable to me. These Montana's are a very nice rendition of a hunting rifle. Flat bottomed action, Model 70 Safety, Integral Recoil Lug, one piece trigger guard bottom metal and hinged floor plate. Sure wish I could find one somewhere to put my hands on.

Back