Montana Rifle Company

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
A friend of mine is asking about the Montana Rifle Company.
Here is the message from my buddy-

Do you know anyone in your circle that has had experience with Montana Rifle Company? They machine pre-64 style Win M70 actions and then custom chamber and barrel for you. All you have to do is get the stock you want and mount/bed yourself. A local retired-gunsmith I ran into recommended them after listening to what I wanted a new gun for -- he is suggesting a 6MM Rem chamber instead of the 243 Win. He said if I am going to be reloading myself that I will be much happier with the 6MM Rem.

Can you fellas share your thoughts?

JD338

JD338,

The Montana Rifle Co. may offer some features that are not found in all of the existing new and used M70's and other similar rifles. You must get specific as to exactly what the buyer wants in features.

I got in on the initial offer from MRC when they started up. I drove out to MRC in Montana from CT and toured their plant.

When the action came it was very rough and I ended up selling it for $250 which was a loss from the start up price.

That was long ago and MRC should have improved I would hope.

As I mentioned they may make some configuration that the person wants.

You do get a one piece bolt and bolt handle as the bolt is investment cast.

m1999f9c931917we.jpg

I too was in on the 1st start up actions. I found them to be a bit heavy and as said a little rough. They polished up well and make a nice rifle, IMO though. I used a Boydes Jr stock made for the Winchester M70 and only a touch of trimming in the front reciever ring area was needed to fit it. The bolt holes are all in the right places.
The action were originally, and I believe still are intended as a alternative action for the custom smith to build from. The smith will in these cases usually poilish, true, (mine was very good here) blue, ect the action anyway and the final finish isn`t as important as on say a M70 or M700 sold as a final finished rifle.

I bought a barreled action from MRC around 18 months ago. I asked if they could ship to Accurate Innovations to have a stock fitted and they said yes.

Around 6 mos after I started, I had a nice rifle.

Heavy profile stainless barrel in .30-06, laminated stock from AI.

The feed is flawless and the accuracy isn't bad. Bolt is slick, considering there is a little bit of drag on the follower.

I heard about previous actions being rough. I believe MRC has "turned things around" and are turning out quality work now. I saw a magazine ad that shows they are selling complete rifles, in either wood or synthetic. Their web site hasn't been updated to reflect this.

IMO, they are a small company capable of doing excellent work. You may need some patience to deal with them, but I don't know of too many semi-custom shops that don't require patience. ( :) )

Back