Moose - 165/168 gr or 180 gr?

sithlord6512

Beginner
Nov 24, 2008
I plan on hunting the Eastern Canadian Moose next fall. Normally, I would have selected a 180 grain bullet for my .300 WSM. However, one source (Barnes site) suggests it is acceptable, and perhaps even preferable, to select a lower weight bullet IF USING A PREMIUM BULLET - The reason being lower recoil and faster velocities/better ballistics.
(specifically refers to Barnes TSX/TTSX/MRX, but I would be inclined to include the other monolithic bullets out their such as the E-Tip, the Hornady GMX, and the Remington premier copper-solid).

I just want Just want to get other's thoughts on this?.

P.S. I know bullet placement is the most important factor - however, I just want to be prepared for any bad/worst-case scenarios (e.g., a wounded animal are requiring a "Texas heart shot" follow-up).

A 165/168 grain bullet is certainly acceptable with the 300 WSM. I'm not certain that I would say that it is preferable, however. The 168/165 grain monolithic bullets will work just fine on moose, provided, as is true of all shots, that the shot is well-placed.

I use 180 grain bullets in my 300 WSM, and I am confident that the bullet will push through on a bad shot. I would think that a 180 grain E-tip would be just the ticket for your rifle. However, if I was carrying a good load with 168 grain TSX or 165 grain Partition, I wouldn't worry about any shot presented.

I have developed a number of loads for a variety of 300 WSMs, and while most of the people asking for load development specifically ask for 165 or 168 grain bullets, I personally prefer 180 grain bullets.

i have never shot a moose, but i would use the 180's. elk dont seem to like them very much and i can't think that a moose would think that highly of getting shot with one either. but shot what your gun likes and shot placement is key.

I would go with the 180. I would prefer a Partition, but I have never used an E-tip.
I posed this question earlier this year, only on the bullet selection for a 30-06. the answer was pretty much the same, 180 PT, AB, or ET.
In the 300 WSM, I would think the 180 AB would do wonderfully!

I'm shooting the 168gr TSX out of my 300 rum and I moose hunt with it. a good broadsisde shot will work fine, I don't care what bullet weight your shooting out of your 300 wsm, a texas heart shot will probably not exit. that is a lot of animal to penetrate. You will probably break the back hips with either the 165/8-180.

I would recommend a 180 gr AB or PT, which ever one shoots best from your 300 WSM.

JD338

No need for the heavy's.I'd run a 150 E Tip in the 300 wsm.They work great on moose.

There's a lot to be said about "use enought bullet" I agree completely with JD. Having shot moose I can tell you the heavier the better.

Maybe in the old days when bullets broke up heavier was better.With todays lead free bullets heavy weights don't apply no more.

7 STW":2p4lutie said:
Maybe in the old days when bullets broke up heavier was better.With todays lead free bullets heavy weights don't apply no more.

True, but I wouldn't call a 180 gr E-Tip a heavy weight. You want enough bullet weight to ensure you get to the vitals from any sane angle.

JD338

Without question, a lighter bullet at a higher velocity will kill. However, heavier mass kills far out of proportion to the weight produced. There is a reason that old 45-70s killed bison so effectively, despite slow velocities and a trajectory that is best described by a great arc.

JD338 is correct in cautioning that one wants enough mass to penetrate from any angle. If everything is perfect, a 243 will kill a moose. While those who live in areas that hold a good population of moose may use lighter rifles, they generally have enough opportunity to be afield that they have a reasonable certainty that they will be presented with a good shot that permits a clean kill. When a person is hunting on a limited schedule, they want to be certain that they don't wound game, but kill it cleanly. Since sithlord6512 asked about bad/worst case scenarios, it still seems best to advise using the bullet with the greater mass, especially if it shoots well in his rifle.

If sithlord6512 is hunting with an outfitter next fall, he might want to ask them for their recommendation and/or requirement. Chances are, they will advise that either 165/8 or 180 will work, but recommend 180s.

My uncle uses 165 grn bullets out of a Browing BLR .308 (Sierra Gamekings) and has harvested many moose over the years with this combination over the last 7 years. However, before that, he used a 30-06 with 180 grain bullets.

Why the change?- he got older (wanted a lighter gun) and changed his hunting tactics (does a lot of walking/tracking now). Plus, he says, the majority of his moose have been taken at less than 60 yards - making a .308 with 165 grainers more than adequate for this type of hunting.

I favor the 180 AccuBond in 308, 300 win & until recently either 180 or 200 grn AccuBond in 30-378.

There are several reasons I use them personally. First off, the BC on the 180 is 0.507. Secondly, my 308 is a CZ and inspite of being a 1-12 twist doesn`t shoot the 165`s all that well. Thirdly, The game animals I shot with the heavier bullets were DRT and meat damage wasn`t as bad as if I used my 264 with 120 grn NBT`s.
I know that the NBT will expand more violently due to the thinner jacket, but the 200 grn bullet really penetrates well, without coming apart for up to 1m long wound channels. In my mind that is impressive.

I haven`t used the E-tip, I imagine the powers that be will eventually force me to. At least for hunting. I have been told that the BC on it is higher than convential bullets and that it could require a bit more mass to cause it to expand.
1st choice for me moose hunting on a guided hunt, where you`re only going to get one, , hammer a 180 ET thro a shoulder blade into the thoric cavity and lungs or just thro the ribs into the lungs. That moose is not going to want to go anywhere.

Just my $0.02

JT.

There is a theme developing here. There is likely a reason. You can get away with less, but the extra mass is insurance.

DrMike":3lsefaa6 said:
There is a theme developing here. There is likely a reason. You can get away with less, but the extra mass is insurance.

DrMike,

You nailed it.

JD338

I took a Eastern Canadian moose in October with one shot Using 165 gr MRX from a 300 RSUM. Drooped at the shot. I had the bullets on hand , otherwise I would have used the E-tips. I was with 3 friends they each took their moose with: 338 mag, 225 gr Bear claw, 2 shots, 7mm mag, 150, Cor lock ultra, 3 shots, 30-06, 165gr X, one shot.

thats lot of bullet many guys run 165 gr in there 30-06 around here (here is north central BC)

Back