Moose bullets

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
I may get the chance to hunt moose in MN this fall if I am lucky. A new rifle is not in my budget (or my party's), but I think I can make do with the right bullets. In my party rifles may include: my wife's .308win, My 280 rem, my Sav M99 300sav (camp/stalking rifle) and my cousin my carry either a 8mm mauser or 7.62X54R M44 carbine (.311 bore dia).

I have the problem with the .280 rem that "long" bullets will not work as it is built on a K98 action with standard magazine, any bonded or GM/Cu bullet is out. I am leaning towards the 175 part. or Swift A-frame.

I would like to use the same bullet in the 300sav and .308. I know the 180 NP is adequet, but will it work in the .300 sav or is it too long? The other option would be a more conventional bullet like the Hor 180 RN or 180 Speer Mag tip flat base as these are def. short enough.

For the 8mm, either the Nosler 200 or 220 grain Part. should be perfect.

With the Mosin, I think the Hornady 174 RNSP will do, as it's been killing moose in the .303 brit for several decades now and shoots very well in the rifle in question. All except the .280 will be close encounters, as the shooters are tight cover hunters.

I know by "modern" standards I'm undergunned, but these and similar calibers (esp. the .300sav and X54r in Finland) have piled up a lot of moose over the years.

Looking for educated opinions on these choices or other possibilities from hunters who have put down moose or similar game.

Polaris

Where you hit them is more important than what you hit them with!
In your 280 Rem, look at the 160 gr PT. The 180 gr PT would be a great choice for the 308 Win and 300 Savage. Both rounds have taken a lot of moose in the past. For your 8mm, I would pick the 200 gr PT.

Keep us posted with your load development and good luck on your moose hunt.

JD338

Well, it's not my moose hunt yet, only applied for the permit but it's a cruddy day outside so I figured I'd get ahead of the curve bulletwise, maybe cook up some loads this summer if I get time whether I draw a tag or not. I'm currently workin on a 300sav deerstopper with the 150 Partition. Should be a nice deep woods load and still shoot reasonably flat.

I used to guide fishing in the Boundary waters, so now that my Wife and I own a house, we can start putting in for permits.

Polaris,

I hope you do get the opportunity to hunt moose. It is a great hunt, to be certain. In the 280, the more mass the better. Here in British Columbia (and the Yukon), it is sometimes best to make every effort to drop a moose where he stands as the brush can get quite thick or because there are streams and/or muskegs into which wounded animals wander. Consequently, I favour the most mass possible to deliver a smart blow to these big critters. On the other hand, I handily dropped a good size moose last fall using a 130 grain E-Tip in a 270 WSM. Returning to the 280, I'd recommend a 160 grain Partition, or at least a 150 grain Partition. If you are willing to stalk closer and take the percentage shots, you will get your moose with either of these bullets. There is nothing wrong with a 175 grain PT if your rifle handles it well. The Swift A-Frame is an excellent bullet, but I'd likely opt for the 160 again with that particular bullet, reserving the 175 for something generating a little more velocity.

On the .308 (or the 300 Savage), I'd opt for a 165 grain Partition or AccuBond. I would prefer to carry the .308 over the 300 Savage, simply because of the increased potential for higher velocity which translates into more energy delivered to the game.

In the 8mm, the 200 grain PT would be my choice. Again, if you are willing to stalk closer and take your time shooting, it will be more than adequate for the game you seek to hunt.

I agree that the .303 has killed its share of moose here in Canada, but I remind you that it has wounded its share of game as well. Again, know that stalking close with your 7.62 X 54R will be a requirement. 174 grains of mass delivered at top velocity will be adequate to drop a moose in close distances (say not more than 150 yards).

None of the cartridges you name render you "undergunned," they simply mean that you will have to hunt rather than shoot. That is not a bad thing.

Best of luck.

Dr. Mike... thanks for the info from a guy where the moose are almost as thick as the mosquitos. I especially like the last line. You couldn't have summed up my hunting philosophy more accurately. I think I'll run with the 160s in the .280. It shoots that weight very well and they are still short enough to work with the Military magazine. I'm mostly bringing the .300 Sav for nostalgic purposes and for close encounters with bears after dark (especially if we have a camp full of moose meat), and as a backup for really foul weather of if somebody drops a scope on a rock, as it will be the only rifle with iron sights. I would carry it if I'm calling for my wife or stalking the dark woods as it is just a dream to carry.

I don't think you are undergunned with anu of your choices. They are all great hunting rounds. I think the 160gr PT in your 280 would be a fine choice. Like Mike, I would stick with 165gr PT's in the 308 and Savage. You will get great speed and good terminal effects out of them. That Savage isn't a boomer, but I bet it is handy. Good luck. Scotty

Hi ya!
To answer one of your initial questions the 180gr. Partition will work just fine in your old model 99 .300, I use them in my 99 EG .300 & they shoot great! I have a slug of rifles & I keep falling back on that old .300 sav..
It ain't sexy, groups around an inch & is still wearing the old Weaver K-4 my grandpa put on it when he bought it. I will most likely never hunt moose but really enjoy reading of the old timers hunting them with their 99's.
Semper Fi
Chris

I'm a Barnes man. I would use either the 165 TTSX or the TSX. I use the 168's myself. I shot thru 30" of black bear and 4" of hemlock and when I cut the tree down to retrieve the bullet you would swear it came out of gel...

Heres my 02. Having used the Nosler Partition in multiple rifles, for ever I would (as others have said) use the 160 and the 180 respectively, no need for anything else.

Having taken several moose here in canada with the 303 brittish, there is one thing i have learned ,its that staying on the heavy side with any caliber with the best ballistic coefficient and good bullet construction for any bullet of less weight to offset the potential loss of bullet weight during impact.Since the introduction of bullets such as nosler accubonds and e-tips, and the barnes tsx one could use a lighter bullet when hunting moose,but i would still stay on the heavier side to aid in penetration.So in short any gun from 30-30 win to any weatherby mag will do the job as long as you have three things,one a clean shot at the vitals,two good bullet choice and placement, and three the nerve to pull the trigger. :) 8)

To comment on the the 303 wounding moose,for one the gun is more than enough ,second there is a reason why guides have back up guns and that is very often those carrying whatever cannon are not cleanly killing their game.I have said before and i will say it again if you can kill it with a bow you can kill it with just about any gun. 8) :)

I beleve Nosler makes a 180gr Protected Point Part bullet. That should work in your short mag. The 180gr Speer Grandslam is another excellent bullet that will put Mosse in the freezer.

Would I be remiss in using a 150 grain Etip, TTSX, or GMX with a .308 Winchester for moose. I hunt Eastern Canadian Moose, and I'd say the majority of shot opportunities will be 100 yards or less. My uncle has harvested 17 moose in his lifetime, and only two exceeded 100 yards - a 120 yard shot and an 230 yard shot.

I guess my question boils down to this consideration - is a 150 grain monolithic bullet (TTSX, Etip, etc.) adequate for moose up to 200 yards in the .308 caliber (I would not consider non-broadside shots - at least not for the first shot). The .308 will be primarily a deer gun, but will be my moose stalking gun.

Thanks.

sithlord6512,

A 150 grain monolithic bullet will kill a Canadian moose, provided you work within the parameters you list. I'd personally opt for a 165 or 168 grain bullet in the .308. The extra mass would simply ensure better penetration and velocity loss would not be a significant factor relative to the 150 grain bullet. In all, a 150 grain monolithic bullet in the .308 is adequate. I would take pains to restrict my shots to broadside and the shortest possible distance.

DrMike is spot on. A 150 gr E-Tip would work but the 168 gr E-Tip would be a much better choice! You never know when that 55" bull steps out and all you have is a hard quartering away shot. The 168 gr E-Tip will get the job done.

JD338

Alot of good idea's here. There are several I really like. In the Savage, the 180gr Protected Point Partitions should be a great bullet for your work.

In .284, the 160gr AccuBond remains my favorite bullet.

For the Old Mosin, you might consider the Sierra 180gr prohunter. It has the advantage of being the proper .311 diameter. My mosins will not shoot a .308 bullet worth a darn. If you buddies gun doesn't like the 180's, try the 150's. Some M44's are partial to the 150gr bullets. My m-38 Keyholes 180gr bullets, but shoots the 150's just fine.

This may be neither here nor there...

When I think of Moose, I think of a once in a lifetime hunt not unlike an African Safari. A hunt that many generations of family after you will continue to tell the story about.

I thought I had seen the word "nostalgic" within the posts and thought it was funny as that was the first word that came to my mind.

Wasn't it on a Moose hunt that Nosler decided to create a "premium" bullet. I don't remember the exact story, but I believe it was the start of the Partition.

If it were me....I think that I would stick with the "nostalgic" theme and certainly use a Partition of some sort.

I don't know...just seems like a perfect situation to step back in time, so to speak. Assuming you get your Moose tag. Good Luck.

My Specility the Alaskan kind.................

338 Win Mag
225gr AccuBond
78.0 of RL 19 Top Vel ( High Energy Load Duplication)
FC 215GM Primer
WW Brass

300 WSM
185 VLD Berger
H4350 @ 62.7
WLRM Primer
WW brass

7mm WSM (Just aquired 7mm WSM so I am working with this load now)
168gr VLD Berger
H4831SC @ 63.0
WLRM Primer
WW Brass

30-06
185 VLD Berger
H4350 @ 55.0
Fed 210GM
WW Brass

375 Ruger Alaskan
260gr AccuBond
RL 15 @ 65.0
WLRM Primer
Hornady Brass

My dad killed several moose in northern Quebec with a Mannlicher Schoenauer clone, commercial Mauser, chambered for 7x57mm Mauser loaded with 175 grain bullets. It is where you shoot them that counts. He would shoot them and follow them to get another shot if needed but he always killed his moose. Those 175 grain, 7mm bullets penetrated deeply.

In Sweden, they hunt Elg (Moose) with the 6.5x55. My preference would be the .338 Federal but that is just because that is the caliber that I own a rifle chambered for. I also have a .340 Weatherby which I would use for Canada-Yukon moose hunting just because they are heavier animals.

I have certainly witnessed a few moose taken with the 6.5 x 55. However, in thick bush, and especially near water, I do like to see someone use enough bullet to put the animal down quickly. It is no fun skinning a moose in a beaver pond while the snow is falling. And it is no fun tracking them through dense underbrush after they have run. The 338 Federal using a stout bullet would be a great cartridge to put them down.

Back