Moose bullets

Dr. Mike you are certainly correct about the water comment. THat would be my number one reason for using the .338 Federal with 210 gr Partitions for Moose. Keep them out of water at all costs!

" I do like to see someone use enough bullet to put the animal down quickly."

I like that on any game animal. Often hunt in rugged country where if an animal makes it another 200 yards, it's just cost you a full day of work to retrieve it... Drop 'em where they stand.

Other than that, I have nothing to contribute to this fascinating moose thread as I've never shot one of the darned things. They're HUGE! Here's my moose photo, from up near Lolo Pass on the Idaho/Montana border:

Vamoose02.jpg

I keep putting in for a moose tag here in Washington, but no luck yet... Someday perhaps!

Guy,

My personal opinion is that elk is a much tougher animal than moose.

Moose tend to be phlegmatic, standing there considering whether they are dead or not after they are shot. However, I have seen more than one stumble around as if deciding where is the most inconvenient place to drop. You can almost see a gleam in their eye when they espy a beaver pond or a stream. Then, as if to extract the maximum misery from the poor soul who dared shoot them, they make a beeline for that water, stand placidly in the deepest part and drop dead. This is almost a certainty when the temperature is below zero and snow is falling.

Elk, however, are just plain tough; they seem to take a great deal of punishment and still manage to put a bit of distance between themselves and whatever it was that hurt them. I watched one bull a couple of years ago absorb two rounds of 200 grain Partitions fired from a 325 WSM and two rounds of 260 grain AccuBonds fired from a 376 Steyr. To be certain, the first bullet stopped the beast and upon necropsy it was evident that any one of the rounds would have killed the animal. However, he was lovesick and refused to leave what he assumed to be his lady friend--a decoy that stood placidly awaiting his attentions.

I would not hesitate to tackle a moose with a 280 or a 30-06 or a 358, but in dense timber for elk I definitely want something that will put a smack on them as I do hate tracking.

I hate tracking wounded animals also, especially elk. That is why my preference would be for my .340 Wea Mag for moose and elk, considering how hard they die.

I have a .338 Federal and would not hesitate to use it with 210 Partitions within 200 yards or so.

Back