Moose Hunt

sask boy

Ammo Smith
Nov 4, 2007
Well guys, I mixed up my holidays and I am supposed to start tomorrow. When actual hunt started last Friday the first. I pleaded but could not get out of the meetings.
They set up camp on Thursday and on Friday they got a 4 year old bull and then Saturday they got a large one over 50". Talk about feeling like a fool oh well they are out of the bush and are coming home tomorrow. Looks like we will be doing some pheasant hunting this week :)
I will get DrMike to post the photos when the guys send them to. I think I am in for some ribbing.

Blessings,
Dan

Pheasant is good. May not have the antlers that the moose have, but some fine hunting nevertheless.

Dan,

So far grouse (ruffed, blue and sage hens) have been all I've brought home from grizzly hunting! :oops:

Nevertheless, my wife enjoys my special meals prepared with this delectable treat.

That is a bummer!

Pheasant hunting is fun but you will need to shoot a few hundred to equal a moose. :lol:

JD338

Yeah, but at least quail and pheasant are easier to pack. I imagine packing a moose, quartered up is a pretty good workout. Not that I would shy away from it, but man, you would really know you did something when you were done! Scotty

I was lucky on my Moose hunt in Maine, we were able to get two ATVs hooked up to it a dragged it half mile to the trailer. Saw on TV today two guys on a self guided hunt for Moose in Alaska. Wow, they shot the Moose just over two miles from their base (tent) camp and had to make 4 trips to pack him out. That was the good part, now the camera guy has a tag also! Black flies were eatting them up one day and the snow kept them in the tent for two more days. All this for a 14 day drop camp type hunt! I'm game, anyone out there would like to try something like that????

Gary,

Many of us here in BC (and undoubtedly in Alaska as well) have done precisely that--shoot, debone and pack the meat to camp. Two miles isn't bad if there is not a ton of deadfall to crawl over. The other serious problem is that moose, when shot, immediately look around and decide, "Hmmmm, there is a swamp and a beaver pond. It is snowing and the temperature is dropping fast. I think I'll just wander over and drop down into the water." Or if they are unable to make the pond (or a river or other such body of water) they seek the densest mass of tangled trees imaginable. There is something in the genes of Alces alces to make them do this, I'm certain. It ain't fun, but it sure is gratifying ... when it is all over. The pictures are really impressive when shown to the nurses in the coronary care unit.

I learned alot from this last guided caribou hunt, which was my first ever guided hunt. The guides only quartered the bou and took the back starp also but left the rest. What a waste of meat! They told me that my plan load limit is 65 lbs per bou so that's why only qtrs. I told my son then that we are going to do this again but self guided and that might just be to Alaska or maybe even in you back yard Doc. Take car my friend. Gary

Army SGM Retired":27hhstv1 said:
I was lucky on my Moose hunt in Maine, we were able to get two ATVs hooked up to it a dragged it half mile to the trailer. Saw on TV today two guys on a self guided hunt for Moose in Alaska. Wow, they shot the Moose just over two miles from their base (tent) camp and had to make 4 trips to pack him out. That was the good part, now the camera guy has a tag also! Black flies were eatting them up one day and the snow kept them in the tent for two more days. All this for a 14 day drop camp type hunt! I'm game, anyone out there would like to try something like that????

Gary, that is one of my top dream hunts. I would be down for a hunt like that in a heartbeat. I know there are a few others on here that would probably like to hunt like that also! I hunt for the meat first and the horns second, so I try to clean everything I possibly can off the animal. I figure he rates to be used properly, since he was nice enough to stand still long enough to let me shoot him! Scotty

Now all it takes is for someone to come back and say, "Hey, I live in Alaska and would love for a group to come up and try their hand at Moose or Caribou". When I looked at going to Alaska I thought that "Non-Resident" had to have a Certified Guide or hunt with someone that is a Resident of Alaska. I did have a Army Major stationed there that could be the "Guide" but he PCS'd, and a guide is a lot of $$ of which does not grow to good on Alabama trees. That should take me to the next statement, is there anyone out there that would be kind enough to take a couple (2 ,3 or 4) of very nice hunters on a hunt of a life time? OK Scotty, I just planted the seed now lets see if anyone out there will help. I forgot to say that there will be at least one Marine and a Army guy as part of the group. We come with good training that help us leep from tall buildings and survive in a combat situation if the animals get violent.

Back