Moose melt down

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
I lost about 150lbs of moose meat today :roll: ..I went into the freezer this morning to take out some moose cutlets and to my surprize the darn freezer was toast :roll: ..man what a waste, it was totally thawed out, all of it, it must have been like that for atleast a week or so :(

I told the wifey, don't worry, I'll just go back to newfoundland for another (y)

Lou

That's tough to swallow Lou, something that you would never think of checking since they work so well usually.

Man, I hate to hear this, Lou. As you say, however, it is good for a return trip to Newfoundland. :grin:

DrMike":2e6petn8 said:
Man, I hate to hear this, Lou. As you say, however, it is good for a return trip to Newfoundland. :grin:

Yah Mike and Gerry, things do happen, and I'm very upset about it, but it's ok, time for a new frezzer and hopefully another crack at Moose :wink:

Lou

Too bad about the freezer...

Does your wife know you unplugged it so you could go hunt moose again? (y)

Guy Miner":allfufze said:

Sssshhhhhhhhh!
Don't let the wives know our secrets. ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince":2ulwkyqh said:
Guy Miner":2ulwkyqh said:

Sssshhhhhhhhh!
Don't let the wives know our secrets. ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
:lol: ..that's funny, I did mention to her that the flights are very cheap now, she's all for it (y)

Man, that would crush me if I lost that much meat..

It is a good excuse to get back out after another one!

150 pounds of moose is a lot of good eating...sorry about your loss...

Congratulations, though, on finding a silver lining...

Cheers/bg

That sucks Lou,

I worry about that all the time, I go into the cabin just hoping that same thing never happens to me. MY Elk is delicious, and that would really be a sad thing to find.

I had a freezer on a circuit with another outlet that had GFCI protection. The freezer has it's own breaker in the panel, and a beeper temp alarm now, and no flaky GFCI. Lost meat is a sad thing, we know! :(
EE2

elkeater2":20mxuu7s said:
I had a freezer on a circuit with another outlet that had GFCI protection. The freezer has it's own breaker in the panel, and a beeper temp alarm now, and no flaky GFCI. Lost meat is a sad thing, we know! :(
EE2

It's a bummer I know, I well for sure get a temp alarm as well, I sure can't wait for November 2nd now, going to try and fill that freezer with another Moose for sure, I well have either sex tag again in Newfoundland Canada :)

Lou

Lou,

That is a tuff loss for sure.
Good luck this coming fall refilling the new freezer.

JD338

I had a freezer full of elk, mule deer and pork. It accidently got unplugged ( I'm blaming the wife) we came home from vacation and the odor was horrific. After bagging and throwing out the putrid meat it was time to clean the freezer. It still smelled after three cleanings with different products. I asked around and was told to smear some Crest toothpaste on the rubber door grommet and close, let set a few days. Sure enough, smell was eliminated. I still use the freezer ( and I keep my wife away from the outlets! :))

SO.....you let the idea loose huh? Mine died last week. Don't mind loosing the pork and the beef I can replace but the last package of ELK from Joel was in their. That was precious...CL

That bites. Our freezer bit the bullet a few years back and thank goodness we caught it within a couple of days. The meats were still frozen, the berries etc not so much. But no meat loss.

Sorry to hear about the meat loss...that SUCKS !!!

Happened to me a few years back. Lost lots of moose and elk burger / steaks and roasts PLUS some beef cuts when we butchered a steer and a couple of turkeys and some salmon/halibut fillets. Probably 300-400 pounds of meat. I was going to grab moose and beef burger to go make kubasa and some maple breakfast sausage. Quite the sight and smell when I opened the deep freeze!!

Lou, I am sorry I did not see this post earlier :oops:!! That is such a waste and with the price of meat going stupid the cost is enough as well.
Being a old insurance adjuster you may have coverage for that loss. Not sure it is worth it depending on your coverage and deductible..
Sure hope that you get another crack at those Newfie Moose :wink:!!

Blessings,
Dan

Back