Moose ?

Guy Miner":3i745r2b said:
Sadly I've never hunted moose. I see them here in Washington, sometimes in town even. I sure see them in Alaska when I go there to fish. I see them in British Columbia. Montana. Idaho... Even saw them in Norway when I was there with the Marines - although the Norwegians insisted on calling them "elk" which confused me greatly... :grin:

When I've run across moose - it seems like they're relatively easy to approach - at least to a point.

For you experienced moose hunters, how far are you shooting when you take moose?

Yes, the 220 gr Nosler/.30-06 test has visions of moose and other big creatures in my head... :grin:

Tell me a bit about moose hunting please! Perhaps someday, I'll draw the tag!

Guy
Well I grew up in a family of moose hunters on both sides. To say that those men were passionate about hunting moose would be an understatment. Perhaps bordering on insane would probably be more accurate. My first moose camp with my dad my grandfather's and a couple of uncle's was at the ripe old age of five. It was the second week of school for me and I still remember the argument my mom and dad had about me going. He told her to phone the school and tell them I had the chicken pox which I did not but she gave in and lied to my principal about the chicken pox. I was with my dad when he shot a 48" bull with his 30-06 both my Grandfathers took bulls on that trip too, my uncle's drank wiskey and cooked. Hell that was almost 40 years ago. My dad who passed in 2006 hunted and took moose from Newfoundland all the way to B.C and the Yukon and the NWT. In the eairly 60's they made a couple of trips to Alaska when you could go with your gear and guns buy a tag and get a moose.

Yes I am a bit moose crazy too When I hunted the north bush my shots were within 100-150 yards most times and a couple were spittin distance. Now that the more open praries here in Alberta have seen many moose move in in the last 10-15 years my shots have been getting longer the longest being about 250 yards two years ago. I should draw a cow tag this year and will expect to shoot 100 plus yards.
I have yet to be skunked on a moose tag when I have been drawn it has been down to the wire a couple of times and I got lucky and I would rather be lucky than good any day.

Guy you can't go wrong with a 30-06 and a good bullet of 180-220 grains for moose at any reasonable range. If you worry you are a little on the light side you can up it to the 300 Win with a 200-220 grain bullet ( personal fave for moose) or the 7 rem mag with a good 160-175 class bullet. Moose are not that hard to kill but then again they can take lead like nobody's business. Call in a bull in the rut with a cow call and when he hangs up hit him with some bull grunts to get him angry and bring him in to kick some ass. If you don't break bones they can still keep coming looking to thrash you for thinking about taking his girl from him. High shoulder shot is the ticket and it is what I use now on any moose calm or pissed off and it puts them down with a minimum of fuss and allows a close finisher if needed. Once you get that first moose you will be hooked for life I know I am. Just wait until you see how fast one of them swamp donkeys can make it through thick bush on the dead run trust me they can shame a whitetail when it comes to getting through the bush in a hurry.

Fingers crossed you get ya a tag very soon

This is my buddy's 52" bull from last year 8) ..300 wsm & 180gr PTs @300yds...Lou
IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

Lou,

Those are a couple of great animals. Undoubtedly they have contributed to some excellent meals.

gerry":cf0sb9e2 said:
Very nice bull, I bet that cow tasted great too :)
Hi Gerry, that's a calf next to the bull...the calf was shot by another group..Lou

Wow... You guys are making me jealous! Great photos BigBear!

Am unlikely to ever actually draw the once-in-a-lifetime Washington state moose tag, so I think I'd better start looking hard for alternatives if I really want to do this!

Just happen to have a few very good alternatives near, and not so near...

Guy

How many states (other than Alaska) have OTC moose tags? The hunts in some Canadian provinces can be reasonable; and terribly expensive in others.

DrMike":1lzq98bu said:
How many states (other than Alaska) have OTC moose tags? The hunts in some Canadian provinces can be reasonable; and terribly expensive in others.

Mike I agree..for a 1st class Moose hunt, and a near 100% kill rate, all inclusive $3800 in Newfoundland.That's where I'm heading this fall. If time and tags permit, might do the Ontario hunt as well :?: ..for a white tail Deer hunt on anticosti Island, well cost you about $2500-$3000 and thats not including food and tags :shock: ...so for a few more dollars $3800 is a bargain :grin: ...Lou :)

I wasn't trying to dis the opportunity to hunt moose in the continental US. I truly wondered about opportunities. I don't know if either Maine or Idaho have OTC tags. I know that there are limited opportunities to hunt moose in Wyoming, Utah and Washington, though I don't know about anywhere else. It was out of the realm of possibility when I was living below the 49th parallel, though it is possible that this was due to my inexperience or lack of knowledge.

DrMike":2xagi6au said:
when I was living below the 49th parallel

Not to be nosey, but I'd be interested in reading the "back story" on when and why you became a resident of BC -- care to share? :)

In 1979, I travelled to Saskatchewan in my capacity as Director of Student Ministries for what at the time was the largest preacher training school in the US. We had a growing number of Canadians wanting to come study in the US and we wanted to design a program that would equip them for service in their own country. While there, I was asked if I had any students to send to some smaller congregations looking for pastoral leadership in BC. Long story short, I agreed to move from a congregation of 24,000 members (where I was one of 300 pastors) to a congregation of five in BC. I stayed. I have either started or restarted nine congregations in BC and Alberta, indulging my predilection toward trout and salmon fishing and big game hunting.

No where in the lower 48 are there OTC tags for non residents. Alaska is the only state where OTC are available. For a resident in Idaho the odds range from about 1 in 5 to about 1 in 8 to draw a bull and 1 in 1 to 1 in 3 to draw a cow. Both are once in a lifetime here too. You can shoot more than 2 if you draw in a leftover tag drawing or a super hunt drawing but generally 1 of each is it. So no more moose for me unless I draw a super hunt or left over tag. I forgot to put my wife in this year too (well I remembered at 11pm on the last day and asked her if she wanted to run to the store to put in when she woke up. Her answer was no :cry: ). So no moose meat in the freezer this winter.

Doc, I am shocked you were in Saskatchewan and you never stayed :roll: I have always thought that I was blessed to live in God's country :mrgreen:
I am have a good friend living in Calgary and he transferred up here thinking for only a year or 2 now been here for over 25 years :grin: in fact he married a lady who's father was a Baptist missionary in Haiti for almost 20 years. Dan's whole family has become Canadian citizens HEY :mrgreen:
I have hunted Moose for over 35 years and have shot over a dozen of them but always swamp donkeys never had a bull in my sights during a season. I help the guys gutting and getting them out but have never dropped one. But I know my time is coming :)

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

Let me simply state that my reason for choosing BC over SK in simple terms: "Saskatoon in January." Having visited Saskatchewan on a few occasions, it would be difficult to leave Paradise for the mosquitoes and black flies of your province. British Columbia or Alberta have my loyalty among the Canadian provinces. Your grizzly population simply doesn't compare. :mrgreen: And that says nothing of your sheep and goats when contrasted to these western provinces. :roll: Shall I speak of other game. And, yes, we do have walleye and pike in addition to salmon and trout, plus I can fish for grayling. Now, can you understand why I came on over to British Columbia? :lol:

Bud that is why I live south of Saskatoon the climate changes drastically right around Davidson :lol:
I always thought that the black flies and the misquiotes were made so we could learn to shoot on the fly :mrgreen:
I am will admit that BC has some beautiful scenery as I did spend as short period of time in Smithers and PG.
We have friends that just recently moved to Prince Rupert to pastor a church and they love it.

Blessings,
Dan

And can you believe I just had a hunting partner and church member move to Nipawin? What could possess an otherwise intelligent individual to make such a choice? Now, I'll just have to go over there and shoot one of his whitetails just to show that it isn't all that hard. I'll have to bring one of those big bodied whitetails back to BC with me.

I hunted with a fellow from Saskatoon on one occasion. We were hunting moose in the Cariboo. He was complaining because we had to "hunt!" "We get in the truck and drive out to the farm and shoot a deer," he whined. "This is too hard here." "Well, I reckon," I countered. "You drive to the only copse of trees within sixty miles and the deer have no place to hide. Then, you surround the three trees and all six of you start shooting. Poor animal never has a chance!" :mrgreen:

Back