More groups - what next?

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Shot more groups today, and I'm uploading them all.

Where should I go next? I know these are all small samples, and now I need more data, which means more loading and shooting. Which ones do you think I should focus on?

All are 4-shot groups. The individual velocities are listed at the bottom of the sheets, and where the sheet says "velocity", that's the average of the 4.

Groups across the board were better today. I figured they would be better shooting 4-shot instead of 5-shot groups, but I also shot better. I changed body position a bit and found a more comfortable position.

The other change in the Partition groups is the PTs are seated 0.08 off the lands instead of the 0.005 they were last week. I do believe the rifle preferred the change.

Ramshot Hunter, 58.0 grains:
View attachment 58.0 Partition.jpg

Ramshot Hunter, 58.3 grains:
View attachment 58.3 Partition.JPG

Ramshot Hunter, 58.5 grains:
View attachment 58.5 Partition.jpg

Ramshot Hunter, 58.8 grains:
View attachment 58.8 Partition.jpg

Ramshot Hunter, 59.0 grains:
View attachment 59.0 Partition.jpg

Those were all the Partition groups. I also loaded up some Accubonds and Ballistic Tips 0.03 off the lands to give a whirl. I thought they would shoot better than they did; must need a change in seating depth as well. Anyway, here's the best AccuBond group:

Ramshot Hunter, 58.0 grains, 180 AccuBond:
View attachment 58.0 Accubond.jpg

Enjoy gents!

By the way, I do believe the barrel change was well worth the trouble. Even the worst loads today were around an inch. Except for one that went 2 inches, but I'm thinking that was my fault.

That is impressive and I would quite messing around! :lol: Very nice groups and velocity's those last two with the Partition and the AccuBond both. I would leave them alone. I notice that your POI with both loads is very very close so you would be able to use either load with confidence once you have it sighted in just exactly where you want it to be. If you are not having any pressure signs with either I would stop there. Good for you.

I sure hope Scotty see's how well that darn 30-06 can shoot!
David

If you can reproduce the accuracy of the 59.0 grain load of Hunter with the Partition, I would call it good and enjoy any hunt you wanted to conduct.

I'll second Mike's comments on the 59gr Hunter load. That one is good if it's consistent.

I bought myself some 180g Partitions to run in my 30-06 as well. I hope I can achieve similar results. Nice work!

DrMike":3tknewrb said:
If you can reproduce the accuracy of the 59.0 grain load of Hunter with the Partition, I would call it good and enjoy any hunt you wanted to conduct.

This! You could play with seating depth to shrink the groups a little more, but I like it.

Nice shooting.
As they said, you could play with seating depth, but you could also take that load hunting with confidence.

You might play with neck tension and seating depth to see if it lowers your ES and SD. Usually it will tighten groups too.

Thanks!

What SD do you normally see in good loads?

Does anyone know why seating depth changes alter SD for the load? I believe that it does, just a "huh, wonder why that is" type of question.

I think that when this barrel settles down you are going to be very satisfied. Nice work. I would throw a bunch of cheap bullets down that tube and develop some good practice loads while burnishing the lands. Re-visit the 59.0gr load for verification as mentioned and then play with seating depth if you still feel the need.

A 180 NP at ~2775fps with that accuracy will cover this continent just fine.

A good load should have no greater than one percent SD. It is a real confidence builder when the SD is single digits.

The answer to your question regarding seating depth altering SD has to do with the pressure required to engage the lands and the time required to make the jump. They are related to the accuracy node.

Once I get a load that I am satisified with my load/rifle accuracy wise, I am done expermenting. You have two great groups their, both of which are well under an inch. I would validate the testing a couple more times and then as posted below then get some cheap bullets and enjoy. I am shooting the same load for my 300 win mag as I developed in 1970. I shoot the rifle a few times each year to validate that its still where I want it and go hunting.

Great groups and you are good to go!!

CatskillCrawler":18gv233u said:
I think that when this barrel settles down you are going to be very satisfied. Nice work. I would throw a bunch of cheap bullets down that tube and develop some good practice loads while burnishing the lands. Re-visit the 59.0gr load for verification as mentioned and then play with seating depth if you still feel the need.

A 180 NP at ~2775fps with that accuracy will cover this continent just fine.

Joel he is spot on. My son's load in his 300 WSM with 180 gr. AccuBond this year was only 2800 fps. Sure flattened his cow elk like a bolt of lightning. I'm going to play with his load as I think I can do better than 2800, but it worked, and it worked very well.
David

I'm going to take a bit it a contrary view here... not because I believe that anyone here is incorrect, but because I've run the gammut myself.

I used to shoot ladders, weigh every charge, fool with .005" depth changes, etc..... I found some screamer loads.... but didn't learn anything about how my rifle shot off my pack, across a canyon, or in a soaking WA drizzle. These days... I find a load that's consistent MOA, and reasonable velocity.... Verify it a couple times... then shoot it, a lot... for about 300 rounds in the field. I've noticed an increase in my ability to put rounds on target when it matters, particularly at extended range.... Even though I've "given up" that 1/2" in 100 yard bench accuracy. I guess at the end of the day... you can spend a lot of dough and time.... to get some cool pictures of groups to post on the board.... not anything that will matter when you draw down on a Muley.

Songdog,

I wouldn't argue against you. There has been a lot of game taken with an old thirty-thirty by people that were able to consistently get a two- or three-inch group at 100 yards. Knowing one's rifle and working within the limits of the rifle is a surefire recipe for bringing home meat.

I reckon that's my point....

A man is better off knowing and hunting within his limitations.... than he is searching for and relying upon minor advances (with little practical application) to make up for lack of field skills.

Always applicable: You're better off addressing short comings of knowledge and eperience and with education and practice (field shooting).. than you are with spending money on a tool to make it all easier (smaller groups).... If you don't believe me, ask 80 million golfers.

DrMike":1j0ejvzv said:

DrMike":1j0ejvzv said:
Songdog, I wouldn't argue against you. There has been a lot of game taken with an old thirty-thirty by people that were able to consistently get a two- or three-inch group at 100 yards. Knowing one's rifle and working within the limits of the rifle is a surefire recipe for bringing home meat.

Mike, its scary how much we think alike sometimes!

If that 59 grain load was shot out of a fresh barrel, I would stick with it. Things will settle down here in a few hundred rounds (or less) and that should shrink up a bit. Maybe tweak seating depth a bit, might get better, might not. Either way I would be happy with that.

Nice work!

Your 59.0 load with the PT and 58.0 load with the AB are pretty excellent. You could burn alot of powder and bullets not gain much better. I don't think any animal would escape either of them, anywhere. Great shooting, seems like you are settling in and the rifle is really shooting! Great work.

Songdog":1cjxfux4 said:
I'm going to take a bit it a contrary view here... not because I believe that anyone here is incorrect, but because I've run the gammut myself.

I used to shoot ladders, weigh every charge, fool with .005" depth changes, etc..... I found some screamer loads.... but didn't learn anything about how my rifle shot off my pack, across a canyon, or in a soaking WA drizzle. These days... I find a load that's consistent MOA, and reasonable velocity.... Verify it a couple times... then shoot it, a lot... for about 300 rounds in the field. I've noticed an increase in my ability to put rounds on target when it matters, particularly at extended range.... Even though I've "given up" that 1/2" in 100 yard bench accuracy. I guess at the end of the day... you can spend a lot of dough and time.... to get some cool pictures of groups to post on the board.... not anything that will matter when you draw down on a Muley.

I could not agree more. I do try and get as accurate of a group as possible but with in reason. Sometimes the groups I get with a bullet, powder or caliber are outstanding, and other times they are not the best I've shot but more than good enough for my hunting purposes.

To me the first shot from a cold fouled barrel is the one I really care about the most, this is the one shot I have to make count and I need to know exactly where it's going to hit. I've sat at the range for hours to only fire 4-5 shots with 1 rifle just to know where I hit with a cold barrel (beats going to the range on different days to fire 1 round).

Bill

Back