Mounting a scope for accurate long range work

longrangehunter

Handloader
Jun 19, 2011
Ok, I'm not sure if this is new or old news, but it works very well for me and making sure I can hit exactly where I'm aiming if I've done everything else right, so here goes.

The scope should be mounted so the cross hairs are inline with the bore axis. Here's how to set it up so that as you dial into the elevation the bullet tracks correctly.

Have a known accurate load for the gun to do this test, and/or as accurate as the gun will hold at 100 yards/meters.

After mounting your scope and it is sited in, attach a large piece of cardboard at least 4' in length and mark a plumb line on it as long as you can in the middle. Place a mark, X or whatever 6" from the bottom on the plumb line drawn. Depending on whether your scope is in Mils, or MOA and the graduation of the scope come up 18" from that mark at the bottom and place another X on the plumb line, and one more 18" further up on the plumb line, the last one should be at 36" from your bottom mark. If you have a lot of turret adjustment range then you could go up another 18" but it is not necessary.

Note: This may need to be varied" IF" your scope does not have enough elevation range in your turret scope adjustment? If you don't have 36" of adjustment at 100 yards this will still work the same for setting up the scope, only your bullet will hit the cardboard further down from the upper most mark used.

Ok, here's what you want to do. Aim at the bottom X placed on the plumb line and fire one shot. It should be very close to the plumb line mark, either dead on, right or left but it wont really matter.

Aim and fire a 2nd shot at the bottom X only this time dial in 5 mils or 17.25 MOA into your elevation adjustment on the scope. The bullet hole should land on the same side and distance away from the plumb line as your first shot, or be dead center of the plumb line, either case it should be the same! And that is the important part!

Dial in another 5 Mils or 34.25 MOA and fire a 3rd shot while still aiming at the bottom mark you placed on the cardboard. Your bullets hole(s) should still be tracking the plumb line you marked and the same distance from that line drawn!

Ok, if you mounted your scope correctly and your round is accurate enough the bullet holes should be moving up the cardboard in a vertical line that is plumb (straight up and down). If the round fired at the bottom X mark is on the RIGHT side of the plumb line and the 2nd round is dead center and the 3rd is LEFT of the plumb line your scope will need to be turned Clockwise in your rings! Or Counterclockwise if the rounds fired are tracking Left to Right.

What your looking for is that as the adjustment(s) are dialed into your scope, that it tracks correctly up and down the plumb line drawn. If it doesn't, the amount needed is a very small turn clockwise or counterclockwise, and I mean very small unless you're way off.

Not only will this tell you if your scope is mounted properly inline with the bore, your scope should also be tracking correctly for the amount(s) of adjustments made. ie: 5 mils should change your POI 18" and so on.

This only needs to be done one time once successful. It is a trial and error method but this is the best way to make sure your scopes cross hairs are inline with the bore. Apply some masking tape with a line drawn on it to the rings and the scope so you can see the movement within the rings while turning.

This really only matters for extreme precision shooting as the distances become greater and greater. But you'll be happy you went through all this trouble in the beginning so as you begin your long range shooting your bullets are where they should be based on your dope.

Good luck.

For those very technical people using MOA adjustment scopes I did factor in that 1 MOA is = 1.047" @ 100 yards just so I would get any flack from it! Since I put 17 1/4 clicks for 18" of elevation adjustment in my post above.

But for those using the Milliradian system or MRAD i.e.: Mils system 1/10th of a mil = .36" @ 100 yards and 1 MRAD = 3.6" @ 100 yards.

Your scope should be either Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA and not a mil reticle with a MOA turret adjustment. Life is just easier that way!

Good idea - shoot a plumb line to verify crosshair alignment...

I didn't see it mentioned, but we should begin with a perfectly leveled rifle, then align the crosshairs to correct for any tracking error against the target's plumb line. Though, it's such a pain to see alignment fuzzed-up by tightening the ring screws...

I thought one mil at 100 yards was 3.438". BT

BeeTee":31ted5of said:
Good idea - shoot a plumb line to verify crosshair alignment...

I didn't see it mentioned, but we should begin with a perfectly leveled rifle, then align the crosshairs to correct for any tracking error against the target's plumb line. Though, it's such a pain to see alignment fuzzed-up by tightening the ring screws...

I thought one mil at 100 yards was 3.438". BT

I saw that in your post about your SWAF scope, they are a great product even when compared to other more expensive lines costing twice as much. Part of the reason I like lapping the rings, but not sure about doing that to vertically split rings though?

And yes a mil is 3.6" @ 100 yards.

Great information. I read that in the Long Range Ballistics book. Your right though, going through the trouble once is worth the pain to make sure your scope tracks spot on, and you can use the marks in order to see just how much your scope moves per click.

longrangehunter":13cziine said:
I saw that in your post about your SWAF scope, they are a great product even when compared to other more expensive lines costing twice as much. Part of the reason I like lapping the rings, but not sure about doing that to vertically split rings though?

And yes a mil is 3.6" @ 100 yards.

3.438 minutes x 1.047 inches = 3.6 inches = 1 mil at 100 yards

A good read: http://www.mil-dot.com/media/1027/the_d ... ations.pdf

Lapping could work on the vertically split Warne rings, but they are powder coated inside/out. So far, I really like the SWFA scope...

Haven't tried it, but I think that vertical tracking alignment could be done without shooting by simply aligning the leveled rifle with the crosshair centered on a plumb line, then run the vertical turret up/down to verify whether it remains coincident with the plumb line. Just thinking out loud... BT

Vi veri universum vivus vici

BeeTee":t7115l9f said:
Haven't tried it, but I think that vertical tracking alignment could be done without shooting by simply aligning the leveled rifle with the crosshair centered on a plumb line, then run the vertical turret up/down to verify whether it remains coincident with the plumb line. Just thinking out loud... BT

Vi veri universum vivus vici

That's what I do prior to shooting just to get close and can be part of your scope mounting method, but the reason for shooting the rifle is to align the scope to a axis of the bore. Not all bores are perfectly centered, so even if the rifle is held level, the scope and bore could still be misaligned. I've tried every method to absolutely make certain the bullet tracks correctly, and the method I described takes the unseen variables out of the equation for perfect tracking every time way beyond the 1,000 yard mark.

It is not that difficult to set up, sometimes I get lucky and only shoot 3-5 rounds to verify the tracking. If you're not precision shooting beyond 300 yards it really wont kill a deer anymore dead then dead! But if your culling game animals with head shots it will make a difference?

Desert Fox":2qcxjdde said:
Way back I did a box test with my IOR when I first got the scope. I posted it on another Forum.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/ ... ule-24952/

DF, It's funny how some people pick apart a thread unless it absolutely flawlessly written or the outcome perfect...... but then again the opinion(s) of other people are expected when posting a open forum thread.

Good post though, and I'd be really happy seeing that last shot end up directly over the first one!

I took my LR rig to Charley at Score High which built a jig for scope mounting and I figured for 50.00 a Competition Shooter himself could do a better job than I, so far it is a tack driver but fixing to upgrade my mount so I will probably once again use him as he runs a work sheet with all the tracking info he gets after he installs it! http://www.scorehi.com/
Nice article on precision scope mounting which was a good read and worth my 50.00 bucks !! :)

Back