Mounting your Hunting rifle scope

Dan, we have a Win 1894 (38-55) that belonged to my grandpa, sometime in the '50's the front sight got knocked off while hunting, the maintenance guy at the mine "fixed it" by cutting a dime in half and soldering on the barrel. It's killed a bunch of deer since, although for about 20 years it's been stashed away in my brother's safe.
Friend made me a front sight out of a silver dime for my 40 cal ml and it was great on squirrels when I still had the eyesight to use it. Dan.

My dad worked for Armco when I was growing up in Naoma on Coal River. He built everything. Seemed like he could make anything work with a torch, grinder, and welder. He also had a nice 742. My daughter now uses her Pawpaw’s rifle for elk and deer in WA state.
Totally understand Joe. Just remember a few that left something to be desired. Dan.

Totally understand Joe. Just remember a few that left something to be desired. Dan.
Yeah they were hit and miss for sure. This one was kept very clean, didn't jam, and would put 150 and 180 grain Core-Lokt into an inch and a half once you figured out the trigger pull. Usually a shade less than 2 inches.
When my dad left it to me I had it reblued with a high gloss dark blue. The wood and steel was still really nice so it wasn’t a tough finish job. I asked my smith if he could do a Weatherby gloss blue/black and he did just that. I wasn’t concerned with value because it wouldn’t be sold. I just wanted his rifle to be pristine again. Now my daughter has it. It’s still going strong.

Yeah they were hit and miss for sure. This one was kept very clean, didn't jam, and would put 150 and 180 grain Core-Lokt into an inch and a half once you figured out the trigger pull. Usually a shade less than 2 inches.
When my dad left it to me I had it reblued with a high gloss dark blue. The wood and steel was still really nice so it wasn’t a tough finish job. I asked my smith if he could do a Weatherby gloss blue/black and he did just that. I wasn’t concerned with value because it wouldn’t be sold. I just wanted his rifle to be pristine again. Now my daughter has it. It’s still going strong.
That's a good keepsake and well preserved. Dan.

Back