Moving To Arkansas

3 Meter Para Bellum

Handloader
Apr 17, 2020
Well it looks like I'm moving to south Arkansas within the week! Happened fast but I think I'm happy about the move. I never thought I would want to leave Texas, the culture out here has definitely rubbed off on me even if the accent has not. I was born in California and never lost the habit of calling people "dude". I am proud to have been a Texan, but the area I live in is rapidly being built up into a busy city, the traffic has gotten insane, crime is rising in my neighborhood and quite frankly I got sick of it. Found an affordable house in a slow little town in Arkansas where people actually still seem like people after the supposed pandemic, and it seems like the slower pace of the area will suit me much better.

Any other Akansasians (is that how to say that?) here who can speak to the hunting there, or non-residents who have hunted there? It was a gun and hunting friendly state which is why it was one of the few states I was willing to move to. The realtor that showed the house said that if I moved there he would take me out to his hunting spot so I am excited to already have a resident offer to take me on a hunting trip.

Hope you will be happy with your move. Totally understand the reason. I'm blessed to live where I do and it's as you described the area you're moving too. Dan.

In the interest of all law abiding Arkansasians, of which I am not one, you have to marry your first cousin to be considered a true Arkansas resident.

Just kidding, kind of.

I hope you’re happy with the move and it’s everything you want it to be.

Vince

I think I have been in Arkansas for about three weeks. Liking it so far, but it is definitely a change to get used to! The property I'm on is gorgeous, and their are deer walking through my yard on a regular basis. It isn't big enough to shoot firearms on, but I set up a spot to shoot airguns, which I do almost every day in the evening now.

Glad to hear things are working out for you. What I have found the most frustrating part about moving are all the little ways each location seems to do things differently. Registering your car, comes to mind - When I moved to my current state, I had to pay tax on my car to get it registered, and the 1 year emissions and inspection were only good for 30 days, but just for the purpose of registration.

Sorry, just realized this was turning into a rant.

What I'm trying to say is: it's hard to know if you will "fit in" or like living in a place just by visiting. There are too many things that go on in people's lives that you never see as a guest. If you are settling in and you like it , that a very good sign.

I think I have been in Arkansas for about three weeks. Liking it so far, but it is definitely a change to get used to! The property I'm on is gorgeous, and their are deer walking through my yard on a regular basis. It isn't big enough to shoot firearms on, but I set up a spot to shoot airguns, which I do almost every day in the evening now.
What town are you close too? I live in Texas but every November, I buy non-resident tags and hunt WT's in Arkansas. Thanks Daniel

Looked up El Dorado - seems like a nice town. I'm not too big on cities, myself, so I see the appeal.

Back