MRP - Wins The Day In Five Shot Group

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I went to the range to put my load work for my Savage 116FHSS 300Win Mag to a final test by shooting five shot groups. I adjusted the OAL from 3.340" to 3.3195" The bullet used is a 180gr TTSX. The brass is Winchester brass with CCI250 primers. There were three powders that produced the best three shot groups and highest velocities out of 7 powders tested last week. The three powders tested today shooting five shot groups were RL-22, W-760 and MRP. MRP was by far the best performer in a five shot test as the target indicates below and the velocities were exceptional for a 300Win Mag with this level of accuracy.

180gr TTSX, MRP, Win brass, CCI250 primers, 3075fps with an OAL of 3.3195" group size is .333"
IMG_0408.jpg

Thanks Mike and chet. I am very please with this load. With bullet construction, accuracy and velocity, it gives me a very versatile load for use on a very wide range of game, all wrapped up in one load.

Mike,

Nice shooting! You are ready to rock n roll with that load.

JD338

You're done :mrgreen:

1 gun, 1 load whole Continent

Mike, great shooting as always, are you going to quit with this load, it looks sensational to me. ??? I know however you are a perfectionist. Great workup !!!

Awesome shooting Mike. Looks like your 300 is ready for anything. Scotty

What sux is... you will never need another gun or load in N. America! :mrgreen:

cheerleader.gif

Mike,
That's an awesome load and exceptional shooting. Good Job.

Don

Nice group! Beautiful, little groups like that always make me wonder what a gun is truly capable of and how the hell I made it look even remotely close to that. :mrgreen:

thanks guys, sorry for waiting so long to respond but was gone out of town. :) I am having a very hard time getting MRP. I had to put it on back order and don't know when it will come in. Will work with RL-25 and Ramshot Magnum and see what they do. MRP-2 is no longer being manufactured, it has been discontinued.

I am having a very hard time getting MRP.

That has always been the hard part of using Norma powders. Great product; poor distribution in North America.

I was going to try MRP as well sometime ago but looking around I determined it was difficult to get, very few vendors handle it. With RL25, Retumbo, Ramshot Magnum and many more like them available I could see I would wind up where you are at the moment.

I think if you give some other powders a look you could find very similar results working the loads.

Don

Bullet,
I have a friend in Colorado, big time Elk Hunter, who for years shot IMR4831 in his 300 Win Mag.
Excellent accuracy and velocity with 180 Partitions. Killed a lot of Elk over the years with that load.

It may be worth a look in your loading ventures, if that's helpful.

Don

Back