Mule deer in the future

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
As I look into the future, I know that I would like to try my hand at mule deer hunting. I will not be able to travel west for them for a few years for them due to other hunts and plans. My thought is to start putting in for points so when the time comes, I can try hunting in a good area. My question is, what state would you focus on? I would like a respectable buck not just a 1.5 year old. I understand how the WY system works so that helps, but from what I read, CO might produce better results.

I'd probably look at Wyoming and Idaho if it were me. Maybe not the absolute best, they offer great deer hunting.

I'd try for both. You're young enough that even if your second trip for mule deer is in 10+ years all those accumulated WY points will work well for you.

In either state it's all about the access. If you can get to ground where there are mule deer, and you can legally shoot at them, then you'll be good. On our recent WY trip, we saw mule deer but all but one of the bucks was standing on private land looking at us or was running around at night. The one on public land was 450+ yards and walking away as I tried to climb over a fence so I could shoot. Needless to say that didn't work.

Public land is public land. When we were set up on a Saturday trying for that same public land buck 3 groups of people parked next to my truck and marched right by us. Mighty kind of you.... :cry:

If you know anyone with access to good hunting land or a lot of experience, then use it. The family we stayed with pointed us in the general direction, and Dad and I did the rest in the truck or on foot.

...CO/ 104,000sq.mi./ 35% public land/ pop. 5 mil// WY/ 97,000sq.mi./ 55% pub. lands/ pop. 500,000... :mrgreen:

...research, look @ B&C/ P&Y records, the success ratios from different units/ states, drawing odds, other info on things like CDW, migrations, etc. Don't discount MT, ID, or UT, & don't be afraid to ask specific questions that will help you narrow down your choices...

I have not thought about UT or MT. Can you build points in those states as well? I would like to go without a guide but am willing to pay a trespass fee to gain access.

Right now MT has relatively open nonresident hunting licenses. Yes, you can try for a draw but since they raised wolves and raised prices nonresident hunters have decreased significantly. I would avoid any known wolf area like the plague based on firsthand experience.

Also, look at getting Eastman's Hunting Journal. They print yearly reviews on the "best" places to go, and are heavily weighted towards DIY hunting.

http://www.eastmans.com/

Excellent advice by all in the above posts!

I live in an area of Washington State that has a decent mule deer population (no whitetails where I live and hunt) and some grow to impressive size.

That said, I still treasure my Wyoming mulie hunts and go every few years. It's one heck of a long drive for me, about 900 - 1,000 miles and I pass a LOT of great hunting areas along the way in Idaho and Montana. But somehow Wyoming has a hold on me... I've taken one bull elk, two pronghorn antelope, one mulie doe, and 3 mulie bucks there. Access to private land, or getting way back into the rough country are both excellent ways to go. Otherwise "public land is public land" particularly near any of the cities... Lots of hunters. Getting into the rough country, or getting access to private property helps tremendously.

Best of luck, Guy

Utah has a point system, you can have some good hunting here, lots of public land but it can be good, we had an excellent year this year. I'll let the pictures do the talking, if I can be of help give me a shout.image.jpg
I was the gun packing guide, I never pulled the trigger, but see the smile on my brother in laws face, and my son and daughter tag their bucks made it the greatest ever hunting season for me. I also helped my nephew harvest a 27" 5x5. Of course the won't always be this good, but we worked hard and made it happen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,322
Those are some fine specimen of Odocoileus hemionus. Excellent work on your part.

All of the western states can provide you with the opportunity you seek. There are big mature buck almost everywhere. I would do some research and if you are financially able, buy preference points in several states, that way you can expand your opportunity. Idaho does offer OTC tags in many good areas, but the best areas are draw hunts. If I had to pick one it would be in Wyoming as I see very nice bucks there almost every year when I am elk hunting. Colorado has some great bucks but I am unfamiliar with their system. Eastman's magazine is an excellent reference source for the west.

rmarshall - great photos! I dearly love to hunt mule deer, and your photos have got me all fired up again! :grin:

Wt. My primary mule deer hunting has been in Oregon, but I only draw every other year. Like the elk hunting Oregon is a bit of a sleeper state for good bucks. I've certainly enjoyed hunting Washington mule deer as well. If your willing to use your legs you can find some decent bucks.
I've been working on my crew to go to Wyoming for big bucks, for my money Wyoming is my best bet.

Not a bunch of public ground, but don't rule out Nebraska. I've been fortunate to be able to harvest some pretty decent animals over the years here............. :grin:

.280 Remington":ihb454gc said:
Not a bunch of public ground, but don't rule out Nebraska. I've been fortunate to be able to harvest some pretty decent animals over the years here............. :grin:

I'll say. Your pictures over the past several years reveal some great quality in the animals of your state.

Arizona has a few decent mule deer up on the Kaibab.
The problem is drawing a tag. If you can afford to waste the cost of a hunting and fishing license every year I'd look at buying points in AZ too.
It's not as good as the heyday but it's still a good hunt with lots of good bucks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have hunted Washington, California, Colorado, Utah and Wyoming for mule deer. All thing considered, I would choose Wyoming as a good bet for DIY hunts. Only issue is winter die-offs and drought.

Am on the same quest... Each year I buy as many preference points as I can in as many states as possible.

Wyoming is great for reasons already mentioned. Idaho doesn't have a preference point system but has great general areas w/ OTC opportunities useful in years you don't win lottery hunts in other states.

The guys I hunt out west and I are starting to look into going on a Mule Deer/Elk hunt in Idaho in 2016, we're probably going to go back to Montana one more time for 2015. Idaho has readable license fees as far as a nonresident goes from what I've seen.

Back