mulie hunt, a few photos

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
We had a great time, but only saw one legal buck in 1.5 days of hunting. My buddy killed it quite convincingly with his 30+ year old .350 Rem mag... :eek:

522179.jpg

Our hunting area.

522178.jpg

Son, glassing diligently.

522180.jpg

Son with the good old 6mm Rem. He likes the tall bipod and the 3.5-10x Leupold.

522177.jpg

Me, with my light kicking .25-06, my favorite mulie rifle.

522183.jpg

The only buck silly enough to show himself while we were hunting! :D

Our little group has been hunting together for several years and it's become a bit a of a tradition. We barbecued Friday and Saturday nights, and hunted hard for a day and a half. Saw many doe and fawns, but only two bucks, and only one of them was legal. Hawks, coyotes, dozens of quail, dove... The aspen in their fall colors were terrific! All in all, it was a good hunt and one heck of a lot of fun.

My son and I will have another go at filling his tag this week.

Regards, Guy

Guy,

Congratulations on a nice young muley buck. I haven't even seen one that big this fall. I drew a "Combo Deer/Elk" tag this fall for Utah and really intended on shooting a nice buck. As it turns out, I tagged my first bull elk and never saw a buck worth shooting.

Hope you do well this next week. Remember "Aim small, miss small".

Firehawk

Good job Guy, I helped my buddy get his first Blacktail Saturday. We had hiked into an older grown up logging road at daybreak and found 7 does and 3 bucks. I elected not to shoot because I had plans to take my daughters out on Sunday. He had never shot a Blacktail before so he picked out the largest of the 3, a 2 by 3. One shot at 227 yard with his beloved Tikka .300 WSM and it was time for the skinning shed. He's pretty fond of that rifle, so far 4 shots at game have accounted for 1 blacktail, 2 Mulies and 1 Elk. The funny part is I have been there for 3 of the 4 kills, I say I am just good luck to have around.

As for this weekend coming up, I am sure that 6 mm is properly tuned up and ready to go. Good luck.

Guy,

Congratulations on your friends buck.
He looks like a fat little butterball, should be good!
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

JD338

Congratulations Guy! Beautiful hunting area, reminds me of where I grew up hunting. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

You're making me awful jealous, Guy. I can't wait to find the time and money to come out west and hunt muleys, pronghorn, and elk (obviously not likely in the same trip). Nice job on the hunt, and on getting the young man interested in the sport.

Glad to see you're having a good time hunting with your son, Guy. Is your son hunting with 95 b-tips again this year? I found these to shoot highly accurate in my gun and thats what I have it sighted in with. Good luck hunting this weekend. I will be chasing deer and elk around here on Saturday, but not with the 243 :)

YoteSmoker,

Throw your snow packs in, I'm sure you've seen the mtns this a.m.
Heard the flat-tops got a little over six inches this weekend ??

Sounds like a good trip. With good scenery, excellent company and one deer down.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Long

Guy
Just came across your post. Looks like a great hunt....and with your son no less!! Dosent get any better. Bigger deer dont really make the memories better. Whereabouts were you hunting....and good luck filling your sons tag. CL

CL, we were hunting over in Douglas County, Washington. Above the Columbia River. Good country that has produced some nice deer for us in the past, but this time around it just didn't work out for us. My buddy shot the only legal deer we saw. It was a lot of fun, hunting with friends and family.

I did manage to shoot a nice tall 4x4 mulie in Wyoming later, but neither my son nor I managed to even take a shot at a deer in Washington this year.

We'll be out for coyotes this winter though! :grin:

Very nice!

The terrain looks like Wyoming.

Thanx for the pictures. 8)

Back