muzzle loader cleaning for dummies

flyfish

Beginner
Nov 6, 2006
I would be the dummy. :roll:
I don't do muzzle loading, I have too many other hobbies I can't afford and just never got too fired up about them. My son bought one about a year ago (he's 21) but I don't know how much he knows about them and I sure didn't teach him anything about them. His gun is one of those in-line types that uses shotgun primers rather than the caps used on the traditional type muzzle loader. He uses the powder pellets. My question, how do you clean this type of gun, what type of solvents do you use and how do you prepare the barrel for storage ( between seasons). What if anything do need to do when you want to shoot it after storage (in gun cabinet for a couple months)?

Thanks

Flyfish,

I use Ballistol mixed 50% with water (the recipe from the can for ML rifles) as a cleaner, and I got that initially from another ML shooter. I shoot loose H777, and I can tell you it cleans up well with the H777.

The details vary with the make of rifle, but usually involve removing the breech plug and cleaning from the breech end. Then run a patch with your favorite metal preservative. The same shooter used Birchwood-Casey Sheath (now renamed Barricade) so I am trying that too.

I run a clean patch before shooting.

jim

I really like the CVA cleaning products. The barrel foam is totally awesome. When done cleaning and preparing for storage, I make sure to oil the barrel and the rest of the gun really good. Being on the CA central coast, the salt air and the higher humidity will rust a gun very quickly. Make sure to run a clean dry patch or two down the barrel before loading or the oil will contaminate the powder charge.

I use the T/C Bore Butter. Cleaning is a snap. I just coat the bore a little heavier with the Bore Butter at the end of the season and put my ML in the safe. When time to shoot, I just load it up and I am set to go.
I have been doing this for 10+ years now and have never had a problem.

JD338

Thanks guys this has been very helpful.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. :grin:

+1 on the bore butter after cleaning with hot water and drying and I use gorrilla grease on the breach plug threads.

I went out and got some of the stuff you guys recommended and did some muzzle loader cleaning yesterday. It work real well. Thanks again.

Back