Muzzle velocity question

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
Ok, so I absolutely hate setting up a chronograph. So rather than doing so on my last load development I shot it at 1000 yards and determined that it took 7.4 MILS of elevation to put me on target. I then put that information in the applied ballistics program and did a ballistic calibration and it said my muzzle velocity was 2853 fps. I guess my question is, is there any reason to also run it through the chronograph? It shot a 3.214" group at 1000 yards so I'm not too worried about ES of the load.

Just out of curiosity maybe someone with quickload can run the numbers and see if the velocity prediction between the two is close?

260 rem, r-p brass, federal 210 primer, 44.2 H4350, Berger 140 VLD Hunting, 24" barrel.

I'm hoping I've found a way to never have to set up that chronograph again!

If I shot a 3" group at 1000 yards I'd load as much of that ammo as I could and never change a thing. I wouldn't care what muzzle velocity it was - I'd just go win a bunch of gold at long range matches.

Guy

Yes, that is a good group, I did similar and also at a 1000yds, and had the ballistics program compute the MV. The value it came up with was greater than what my chrony (old Beta Master)
ever read by 70fps.

If I shot a 3" group at 1000 yards I'd load as much of that ammo as I could and never change a thing. I wouldn't care what muzzle velocity it was - I'd just go win a bunch of gold at long range matches.

I had the same thought, but in my case I would have to check the distance several times. That's awesome shooting, leave the load alone.

Guy Miner":gex5dale said:

Guy

Fair enough! Wasn't planning on changing a thing was more just curious how fast it's running. I think it's pushing the max....out of 75 rounds I've had 2 that had a very slight sticky bolt lift and a faint extractor mark. Must have had 44.3 in those ones!

I am excited to go shoot this load some more. Just need to go buy some more bullets since I only bought one box on a whim to go test!

Attachments

• 1000 3.214%221.jpg
    1000 3.214%221.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,598
Agree with all the others.
One of the problems I seem to have is fixing unbroken stuff. :grin: Then I really end up messed up.
That group at 1000 is not broken, why mess with it?

Great shooting. With groups like at I would sell the chrono just to buy more reloading components :mrgreen: . If out of curiosity not knowing the true velocity will eat at you then set the chrono up one last time. If not, call the calc value good enough.

usmc 89":2rpd9fe2 said:
That is world record type shooting, sell your chronograph.

Yes. I'd like to see you seriously give long-range competition a try with that rifle. Either F-Class prone or benchrest... If you can produce similar size groups in competition, you just might set some records and win some medals & trophies...

Worth a thought.

Guy

I'm with Fotis....I just have to know the numbers.

I've been eyeballing the MagnetoSpeed chrono's...but I'm not sold yet.

I do not like them. I test for accuracy and velocity at the same time. With the magneto it hangs at the end of the barrel thus altering harmonics.

Yep...that's what I don't like about them...but the not having to worry about how light or dark it is still kinda makes me want one.

I just looked over the LabRadar website...looks and sounds pretty neat...but they don't give a price yet.

Back