My bittersweet Elk.

I was a little hesitant of it at first but I must say it makes shooting with the higher mounted scope a lot more comfortable. Make sure you use the adhesive velcro under the come to keep it from sliding around. Its still easy to remove for open sight use and the soft side of the velcro doesn’t feel bad on your cheek at all. Its called an ACCU-Riser. I think I got it off amazon for around $30 or so.

As to that load, its “brisk” but not unmanageable. Its not like we are planning on an extended shoot at a pairie dog town with one of these. For the few shots we take while hunting its no problem at all. Plus with the kodiaks that thing will punch thru 20+” spruce trees so I woudln’t worry about any shoulder or leg bones!

I actually think the straigh stock guide guns handle the recoil a littel better than the pistol grip stocks. I used to shoot this load with the rem 405s all the time with my stainless guide gun. I had several hundred of the 405gr bullets bought on sale from midway a few years ago. I doubt I went to the range without running thru a box of those things, often two boxes! Then again I am not terribly recoil shy. One of my buddies has a “dead mule” mercury recoil reducer in his rifle and it does make quite a difference in felt recoil.

I actually perfered this rifle with 2.5x leupy scout with german #1 post to the 1895 I currently own.

Stillhunter, congratulations on stalking so close to a herd of elk and getting a shot on one. Also congratulations on a great recovery. It sounds like you did everything perfectly and was rewarded with a filled tag.

Thank you Dan. There is a lot of luck involved. These Elk can appear and disappear in a step, as dense and the forests are. The mist also complicates things. I do love going in after them.

Back