My first black bear

Where? It seems you are berateing this guy on the size of his bear. What did I miss?

blazer":2y9r5xkt said:
i agree with ones trophy is ones trophy, baiting in b.c. is illegal i dont agree with baiting in any province or state, and i think it is a chicken @#$% way to hunt bears.

Here we are again, you berating another hunter because of the method they choose to hunt bears.

last post that i commented on accussed me of berating for size not method read first then maybe comment :idea:

Maybe you should not try and push your beliefs onto others and be happy for the guy. Holy cow. I can only hunt spike Elk in my state, does that mean I'm a poor hunter in your book? Not everyone has the same opportunities as others. And as for your deeper meaning, I hear what you are saying but maybe that is as big as they get in his state.

Corey

blazer":873w7ufj said:
read again and deeper into it theres a couple key words that might trigger for you

blazer,

As a new member here, your post aren't making you any friends.
If you have a point to make, make it. I'm not too much into reading minds.

We keep things on the lighter side here on this forum and don't condemn one for how or what they hunt so long as its legal.
Now would be a good time to do a reset. :wink:

JD338

blazer":1o27ph8m said:
last post that i commented on accussed me of berating for size not method read first then maybe comment :idea:

My only problem with your posts is this statement, "and i think it is a chicken @#$% way to hunt bears".

The fact that you don't agree with it is fine, and you're very much entitled to state this, but please don't berate others for their methods of hunting. We all have our own ways to hunt and legal requirements to meet. All we are asking is for is mutual respect.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Both trash and treasure are acceptable...as long as they are legal and in this case the hunt including the baiting was legal.
There are certain parts in the world that you will never, ever bag a bear without baiting, This is why one of the world's most sophisticated forest/game service allows these practices. Certain parts of SE Wyoming is one of these places. Almost all bears(very very limited quota) are taken only during archery and only over bait. No other way (except blind luck) to get one.

BTW I have never hunted a bear in my life unfortunately.....
I understand you might not agree with this method sir but I truly think there are more diplomatic or nicer way to air your opinion (which is your prerogative by the way). I believe this is what makes this forum as nice, friendly and civilized as it is.

In every forum all new guys/gals (bar none) must get a feel of the atmosphere of same.
Thank you for your time.

Hope to see/hear more from you.

Hmm, it is illegal to bait bear in BC. This is interesting, In Alberta, Sask. & Manitoba it is legal and for the most part suggested.
Where I grew up in Manitoba one could see 5-10 bear at once at the landfill after dark. Now things have changed and you are not allowed in there after dark, but I doubt if the cafe closes for the black bear. If the dumps have been closed I imagine the bears will head into town or to the nearest community.
BC has a few more species in the ecological system, so that could make the regulations a bit different. There is even an age restriction on nothing less than 2 yrs old or accompanied by a less than 2 year old bear.
The BC regulations do not encompass the continent however, nor does the ecosystem, pardon my sarcasm as this is the second time we've had an "inquisition" from the throne of BC.

Now give it up, you guys are special, you have mountains, clean air, beautiful landscape, grizzly bears & the biggest marijuana crop in the world(ok I couldn't resist that jab). Yeah, we know. It's a great place, in all honesty it is, but it isn't the "only" place to live or hunt. And it wouldn't be so great if we all moved there or vice versa. It's ok to do things differently. There are enough people against the hunting and shooting community, let's stick togather and not sweat the pretty things, ok.

Baiting isn't all bad, it has alot of advantages.

There are alot of really good bear hunting guides in Manitoba, ontariio and Saskachewan that I could suggest that hunt over bait and have a very high success rate. Some of the bears weigh in over 500lbs. alot of them over 400lbs. Because the bears are coming into bait the harvest is alot more selective and you have a good idea of what will come out to the bait.
Also, a short wait as the bear feeds at the bait will tell you if there are cubs moving around in the woods and give you time to tell if you're targeting a boar or a sow.

Otherwise you can spot and stalk a bear. I've never used this method, but some hunters really enjoy hunting bear this way. I know with a very keen sense of smell and hearing the black bear would be a hard animal to stalk without the wind on your side.

Here are a couple Manatoba outfitters.

www.silverbirchresort.com

This is a small friendly local outfitter with great bear hunting and world famous Walleye fishing(some years). They're located about 6 miles from Lake of the Woods on Moose lake.

www.headwateroutfitting.com

This outfitter is located about 45 minutes from Lake of the Woods, the spring bear hunt is really good and also has some excellent WT Deer hunting. They usually have a fishing boat availible to take out onto one of the local lakes for walleye between the morning and evening hunt.

And if you want to spot and stalk I'm sure they'll let you, but they may not guarantee your success.

G'night, and happy hunting.

Just to add, I really have enjoyed some of the posts from BC, just these overly aggressive ones kinda get old. If they were all like Dr.Mike and that sort, with pictures of game and beautiful landscape we'd be more receptive.

JT.

blazer":1sdgqi6x said:
hey thanks for the tip :lol:

Here's a couple other tips for you Blazer

a hunter has to have self decipline to educate and put conservation for all hunters first
It's discipline, not decipline.

no other hunters or our children will have the oportunities to hunt
It's opportunities, not oportunities.

we all need to take resonsibility to ensure that our kids and our kids kids get to hunt in the future.
It's responsibility, not resonsibility

Beautiful bear onlybrowning. You should be proud of yourself. It's some rush when they show up, isn't it.

Craig

POP":106cjdxk said:
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

BTW I have never hunted a bear in my life unfortunately.....
I understand you might not agree with this method sir but I truly think there are more diplomatic or nicer way to air your opinion (which is your prerogative by the way). I believe this is what makes this forum as nice, friendly and civilized as it is.

In every forum all new guys/gals (bar none) must get a feel of the atmosphere of same.

Hope to see/hear more from you.
This is why I love this sight compared to a lot of others. Very friendly and non judging group.

Corey

Nice bear. Were you able to recover the bullet? She looks like her pelt is prime and shiny. Congrats :grin:
Good Hunting
ELkhunt

All of the 200 grain Accubonds went through and through. I was hoping to find one as well! I wonder what an 8mm 200 grain AccuBond at 2800 fps would look like.

....cause they are bad-arse bullets! :

teu42.gif

sterb051.gif

OnlyBrowning,

The first bear is one of the best. Bears are still my favourite hunt. They can be quite a worthy adversary for the hunter. Congratulations.

jtoews80,

I believe the reason baiting is prohibited in BC is because of the presence of grizzlies in almost every area. Baiting certainly has some advantages, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the hunt is any easier. My apologies as a BC hunter for people that present themselves as snob hunters. For years I have seen people condemn hunting bears with dogs and/or hunting bears over bait. It is a little like the fly fishermen who condemn the kid fishing with garden hackle. Isn't it great that we have the opportunities we have to hunt such a great game animal.

While there are some big bruins here in BC, it is certain that there are some fine animals taken right across Canada, and I read about some very find animals in the eastern US. Hopefully, opportunities to continue to hunt these magnificent animals will continue for many years, permitting my grandchildren to enjoy the sport that has given me such pleasure for many years.

Back