my first load results

bbearhntr

Handloader
Apr 10, 2011
Well it has been a long time coming but I finally got to try shooting my first batch of loads for my .270 WSM and a few rounds for my wifes 7mm-08. I also was able to finally try a box of the .243 win Nosler Trophy Grade factory ammo. I have only been loading for a few months now and have probably only loaded 200 rounds or less in total for 4 calibers, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was very shocked what happened with the fourth string I fired in my .270 WSM. :shock: My first two shots were touching so I was very excited to shoot the third and ended up flinching :roll: so I shot a fourth round down range and it smashed into the first two holes :!: My group measured .308". I didnt have any more rounds loaded up with that charge so I moved on to the next charge weight and wasn't disappointed. It was slightly more open but gave me confidence that the previous group was not a fluke. I can't wait to load up a larger batch and try to dupicate my results :!: Need less to say I'm now officially addicted to reloading :shock: . My rifle is a factory Browning Stainless Hunter with a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14X40 scope so its nothing special but it made me feel like a target shooter for a while :p My most accurate load was 64g. RL 22, WLRM primers, Norma brass, 130g AccuBond, 2.860 COAL. I sure hope I can duplicate these results with the next batch.
My wifes 7mm-08 shot admirably as well. I loaded up some 120g ballistic tips at a starting weight of 45g of IMR 4350 just for her to practice with for recoil. I will explore heavier charges in the coming days. All of the goups looked very similar in size and shape so I was pleased.
The .243 win Nosler factory ammo performed well also gouping around an inch. Both the 7mm-08 and the .243 win rifles are Marlin XS7 with Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 scopes. Very well performing packages for under $500.00 :!:View attachment IMG_9701.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9708.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 929
  • IMG_9707.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 929
  • IMG_9711.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 929
  • IMG_9716.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 929
  • IMG_9719.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 929
Congratulations, that's really nice. I think once a person starts reloading, it's all over but the crying. You might just as well admit you have the RADD disease and live with it. That's Rifle Addiction Deficit Disorder and this Nosler Forum in one big support group! Enjoy and have fun.

Your first loads sure look alot better than my first five years worth :oops:

Well done!

That's looking very satisfying. Congratulations on some fine loads.

Great shooting! They look excellent. Seems like you are really setting the bar high, right off the bat. Scotty

Great shooting with the loads! It is a lot more gratifying to see small groups when you know you did the work to make the small groups. 8)

It was very stunning to see a group shrink from 2" with my starting load to under 1/2" just by changing the powder charge. I was becoming a little discouraged with the first three groups. Then I was stunned with the fourth string, and the fifth string has promise too. I cant wait to continue experimenting :!: I am fully infected with the RADD disease :mrgreen:

As you should be. I think the 270WSM has been the easiest rifle to load for thus far. Just incredibly accurate and pretty darned fast across the board. Haven't found much that doesn't shoot well in this rifle. Great shooting. Love that big 270. Scotty

Rolling your own has always provided some delightful surprises. Small changes can introduce major accuracy for a "so so" rifle.

Back