My name is Azdak and I have a problem

Want, far overshadows "need". One must not fixate on the word need, other than the basic's, food, sex and water, a man's wants are far more important.

The only good rifle is one that scratches the itch then comes another and another first I just wanted a custom then I decided I needed a large caliber then a full time varmint rifle. Then a gap gun. It is just a matter of time before I fill the next itch. 500 bullets dies and brass on hand now I just need a suitable donor and cash. It's not a problem. It's actually a sign of being normal here. So let's cut to the Chase and what do you need? I'm sure you have many friends here that will be willing to help (ENABLE) you!!

I really do buy "one rifle at a a time". This decision is occasionally based in need, like a new elk rifle but most of these purchases are really driven by a particular forearm and "look" for that piece.

Mostly (about 75%) of my descretionary gun purchases are want related and not need related. I see an old commercial Mauser or Model 70, nearly dressed up and ready for the dance, with the look that I want, and it is all over at that point.

Take my last trade with Elkhunter, it was an old FN Mauser action, built before 1964 in a custom barrel and stock. In this case, a Douglas, .257 Roberts barrel. The name "Roberts" instantly paralysed my better senses and I saw potential in the stock and workmanship. The action's maker reputation speaks for itself.

I have probably put at least100 hours of slow and methodical improvement labor in this .257 Roberts in the past year and will keep working until I have what I want with the little rifle. It certainly is a keeper. The only question in my mind is, how much time and money to spend on it? It now is shooting under MOA with four bullets which are: 75 BT, 100 PT, 100 BT, 110 AB.

Projects like this are food for the soul.

Back