My wife's 1st!!

GooseHunter Jr

Beginner
Jun 2, 2005
Jamie(my wife) and I spent last weekend with Gander and his father in Wyoming for some antelope huning and as always it was a great time!! I finally had convinced to come antelope hunting with me. She has been elk hunting before but that was a few years ago.

We saw some really cool things. We saw a badger chase off a coyote and a knock down drag out brawl between two bucks....man they should have been in the octogon.

Saturday brought alot of excitement, we almost got run over by a herd of about 20 or so...almost had to shoot a buck in self defense LOL!! Well after some very disappointing misses Jamie was starting to doubt herself. I know she can shoot and she shoots well almost can out shoot me, so late that afternoon I set out a milk jug at 100 yards and she smoked it. Cinfidence re-installed!!

Sunday started out real slow as the wind kicked up and the antelope were just not moving. So after a short nap we headed back to the tent for some lunch. After a bite to eat she said she was gonna take the gun for a walk to were we had seen some the night before, I am sure glad I went with her!! We started out walking and did not take long to spot a goat, well after 100yards of crawling and 50 yards of army crawling we were in perfect position. There was two does and buck and they were bedded down. They had no clue we were there. I ranged them at 200 yards, after a short bit the does does stood up and starting to walk away. I was calling out the ranges to her, but she never heard me and as I said she is 250 I heard the crack of the gun go off. To this day I will tell you I thought she missed as I saw a cloud of dust kick up right behind here, but as I watch her she goes 25yards and piles up dead!! I think I was alot more excited than she was!! She made a heck of a shot and I am so proud of here to stick with it after a rough beginning. After inspection she made a perfect shot...destryoed the liver and came out thru the heart...doe never had chance...that .257 Roberts along with the 110Gr Accbonds....what a shooter!!

I AM VERY PRROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!
Here are some pic!!
102_1074.jpg

102_1113.jpg

102_1116.jpg

102_1119.jpg

Any gal that can shoot like that and clean her own game is a keeper.

Congratulations to both of you! Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures.

Thats fantastic! Congratulations to both you and your bride!

JD338

You better not mess up with her. Women like her are few and far between. Tell her I am proud of her. Tell her if you have never missed a shot at game you have not hunted long enough. She just got her's out of the way at the start.

That is freaking cool! I can't wait for our buck season to open this weekend so my wife and I can go out. Its really cool having a wife that does that sort of stuff with you....I still have to clean hers though.

Nicely done!

GooseHunter Jr

What was your load in the 257 Bob with the 110 gr AB?

JD338

Phenominal ! Congrats to you both. Good time of year to be out hunting without the freezing temps.

Very cool. Took my wife hunting last year for the first time, but she won't clean anything. Might have to show her this......

JT.

JD338":1tujo0wv said:
GooseHunter Jr

JD338

Can't think of it right now, when I get home I will post it up for you. It is a good load and very consistent!!

GooseHunter Jr":jlvkikd5 said:
JD338":jlvkikd5 said:
GooseHunter Jr

JD338

Can't think of it right now, when I get home I will post it up for you. It is a good load and very consistent!!

Thanks buddy.
Congratulations again to you and your bride. :grin:

JD338

JD338":hootjt2j said:
GooseHunter Jr":hootjt2j said:
JD338":hootjt2j said:
GooseHunter Jr

JD338

Thanks buddy.
Congratulations again to you and your bride. :grin:

JD338[/quote

Here is my load.....

43 grains of RL-22 the OAL is 2.825. This load is real consistent for me. I used it for my goat last year and and I am thinking about using it for my mule deer hunt this year. The gun is an older Remington and I am always afraid of scracthing this gun up. My dad and I both took our first elk with the gun and my wife and I have taken our first goats with it...guns means alot to me.

Thanks GooseHunter Jr.

I have been shooting the same load combo but with 48.0 grs for an avg MV of 2974 fps, ES 16 SD 8 from my M700 Classic with a 24" barrel.

JD338

Looks like you 2 had a great time. I am a little afraid to let my wife come as she would have to share my one rifle :wink:
Last year my wife came on her first pheasant hunt could not get her to shoot but she sure loved the walk and seeing our 2 girls work (black labs).
Great to see a couple do things together be proud.

Great story- you take care of that lady. Nice dnner, bottle of wine, fine linen, whatever it takes. I'm thinkin' shes a keeper. Congrats on the goats!! No better fun any where and with your best friend to boot!! Priceless... CL

ps nice to see the .25 do what it does best!

Back