Neck turning. Few ???

CAhunter

Beginner
Sep 10, 2009
So I just got my 243AI set up and was going to turn the neck on the brass I bought. Its 243 win Lapua brass and was going to turn about .001 just to clean the neck up. My question is should I do this before fire forming to 243AI? Will it harm anything during fire forming? Or should I do it after forming and neck sizing with bushing. Any other tips appreciated!! THANKS

Regardless of whether the brass is new or not, you should make sure to FL resize all your brass to ensure the shoulders's of your brass are consistent. Otherwise you will have inconsistent trimming (e.g., some cases trimmed into the shoulder, other not).

I personally trim my cases after fireforming.

no need to full length size before fireforming, and I thing turning the necks would be a waste of time as you'll likely need to do it again after fireforming.

Since you have to fireform, do it with a small powder charge like a minimum book charge. Then check to see if a bullet will fit into the fired brass. It should go in with very little resistance. If not you may have to turn more than just squaring the neck.
To answer your question, turn the neck and trim to length after fireforming. :grin: :grin:

I outside turn new cases. But most of the turning I do is so the brass will fit in tight necked custom chambers so I have to turn down to a certain thickness so the brass will fit, even the first time
DSCN0497.jpg

Check out the 6mmbr website - in the archives section is a very informative article on neck turning - I am confident that you will find it extremely helpful.

CAhunter":2chzjawk said:
So I just got my 243AI set up and was going to turn the neck on the brass I bought. Its 243 win Lapua brass and was going to turn about .001 just to clean the neck up. My question is should I do this before fire forming to 243AI? Will it harm anything during fire forming? Or should I do it after forming and neck sizing with bushing. Any other tips appreciated!! THANKS

I would wait since your going to be blowing the shoulders forward that give you the right neck length for trimming and neck turning.

This is just me but on cleaning up the necks. I've got a good mike and I'll take maybe 4 or 6 reading various location then take the high and low then split the difference 70/30 or 60/40 and get a good feeler gauge to set neck thickness on the turner blade. I cut either 70% or 60%

My Lapua brass that I used for the 243AI was pretty good as is it was within .0005. Well good luck

Thanks guys. Im considering not even turning them since after measuring the lapua its pretty good. Just thought maybe cleaning them up a bit would make them a little more uniform once fire formed. I just got a neck turned because my brother has to turn the necks on his 6-06 due to a tight chamber so this is our first attempt at this process..

chet":15vo8ak0 said:
no need to full length size before fireforming, and I thing turning the necks would be a waste of time as you'll likely need to do it again after fireforming.

+1 on the turning. I don't know anything about fireforming to new spec.
Hardpan

Back