Neck Turning Question

sithlord6512

Beginner
Nov 24, 2008
I just received the neck turning attachment for my RCBS Trim-pro manual case trimmer. Unfortunately, the instructions don't give any guidance as to how much brass should be trimmed from the necks.

I am shooting a .300 WSM (using Winchester Brass). How does one determine how much brass should be trimmed from the neck?

Most neck turning is done to make for minimal cleanrance between the case neck and the chamber in tight necked chambered rifles. A factory chamber is already loose fittting. I`d turn to just even out the neck wall thickness. This would be a very light cut that removes metal from about 70% of the neck and doesn`t touch the rest.
Others may have other ideas....

Joe is exactly right.
Some target rifle will be made "tight necked" often time the gunsmith will print these dimentions right on the side of the barrel. 3/1000 below the printed dimentions is pretty standard.
As Joe said, for Factory guns, just clean your brass up, trim it no more then is necessary to get it nice and rounds.

You will want to have it set so that only a portion of the wall is getting trimmed on each case. Unfortunately I have the neck turner from RCBS that fits on the case trimmer and I have lots of trouble using it with anything larger than 22-250. I found that with my WSM's I wasn't getting enough neck tension if I turned the case neck walls much so I simply stopped turning them.

If you are simply looking to get a better smoother surface inside the case neck, you may want to try simply polishing them with a drill, case neck brush with fine steel wool wrapped around the brush.

Good luck.

I guess I should have didsome research on this RCBS product. Came across similar complaints about this product. Oh well - live and learn (just wish it didn't have to pay for such "learning).

Except for my 204Ruger rifle, I don't neck trim any of my rifles. I don't see that it's needed/necessary for a hunting rifle. If I were to have a competition/match rifle, then I would neck trim to help achieve the ultimate in accuracy. Again, just my opinion and I have several rifles that I was able to achieve .5 MOA or less group size at 100M.

I agree with Ol' Joe. Just the minimum to make the neck wall uniform. If it is a factory rifle you have plenty of clearance and should only trim what is necessary

Back