Need a 7mm cartridge

Yoteklr

Work, load, shoot, hunt, repeat
Apr 19, 2022
Help me decide on a 7mm cartridge.
I'm thinking of a long action, magnum bolt face (.535). It is going on a Savage long action.
I'd like overall length under 3.5", I'll be loading 175 AccuBond Long Range or 180 Berger Hybrid.
I'd like a case capacity between 7mm RM and 28 Nosler.

In all reality a 7wsm with a longer body and longer neck. Seems like the Dakota or Long Range Magnum is the fit but brass and special bolt face is difficult. I have a few hundred pieces of 270 weatherby cases I could form to 7mm Weatherby Magnum but I'm not sure if I could get much improvement over 7mm Remington magnum.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds like you want a 28 Nosler.

JD338
The 28 Nosler is going to be long to fit my 3.5" savage magazine.
My 28 Nosler I built for my SAAMI Remington 700 is about 3.6" to the lands with 175 gr Elite Hunters( I have a Wyatt's extended mag box for this rifle).

The 28 Nosler is going to be long to fit my 3.5" savage magazine.
My 28 Nosler I built for my SAAMI Remington 700 is about 3.6" to the lands with 175 gr Elite Hunters( I have a Wyatt's extended mag box for this rifle).
I'd hold off and get the 7 PRC that Hornady's releasing later this year. It's going to be based on the 300 PRC case.

I'd hold off and get the 7 PRC that Hornady's releasing later this year. It's going to be based on the 300 PRC case.
Thank you!!! Hope its oal isn't too long

I'll look for reamers!

I was just going to mention that one - if it will fit his magazine. It's been a great answer for those who want just a bit more than a 7mm Rem Mag can churn up.

7mm STW - check it out! :)

BTW, from my 26" 7mm Rem Mag, using the relatively new IMR 8133, I'm seeing some terrific velocity! A 150 at 3200+ fps is no problem at all. Did it with both the ELD-X and the new Hornady CX. Shot some 160 gr Nosler Partitions over it as well, can't remember exactly what velocity they produced, but they too were zippy.

I haven't yet tried it with heavier 175 grain bullets, but am looking forward to doing so.

Regards, Guy

the 7mm mashburn would be pushing the 3.500" coal limit . the Mashburn has about the same water case capacity as the 7mm LRM . the Mashburn will run with the STW . the STW will have trouble with the 3.500" coal limit . I think sammi length is 3.6xx" for the STW . the LRM had a problem with poor brass quality , I'm not sure if that's solved . the Mashburn is formed from 300 win brass . everyone sells 300 win brass .
I run the 175 AccuBond LR bullets at 3.500" . 76.5 grains of H1000 gives 3145 FPS .
I run the 175 sierra SBT bullets at 3.415" . 71.6 grains of H1000 gives me 3000 FPS .
I'm pretty sure Scotty has his throat a little longer than I have mine .

if you're not worried about a wildcat cartridge , have you looked at the Shermans ? Rich Sherman has a few different 7mm's . he has brass with the correct headstamp , no die forming , or fire forming . he has die sets . it would be an easy one to work with . the only down side I can see is , I " THINK " Rich has all the stuff tied up . you would have to buy everything through him .

the 7mm mashburn would be pushing the 3.500" coal limit . the Mashburn has about the same water case capacity as the 7mm LRM . the Mashburn will run with the STW . the STW will have trouble with the 3.500" coal limit . I think sammi length is 3.6xx" for the STW . the LRM had a problem with poor brass quality , I'm not sure if that's solved . the Mashburn is formed from 300 win brass . everyone sells 300 win brass .
I run the 175 AccuBond LR bullets at 3.500" . 76.5 grains of H1000 gives 3145 FPS .
I run the 175 sierra SBT bullets at 3.415" . 71.6 grains of H1000 gives me 3000 FPS .
I'm pretty sure Scotty has his throat a little longer than I have mine .

if you're not worried about a wildcat cartridge , have you looked at the Shermans ? Rich Sherman has a few different 7mm's . he has brass with the correct headstamp , no die forming , or fire forming . he has die sets . it would be an easy one to work with . the only down side I can see is , I " THINK " Rich has all the stuff tied up . you would have to buy everything through him .
I still have Rich's number I'll try to call him.
I keep forgetting about the Sherman cartridges.

I've only talked to Rich by PM's . he sure seems like a nice fella , and very knowledgeable .we mostly talked bullets . 20 years ago he was making long range bullets with an aluminum tip .

I would DEFINITELY wait on a 7 PRC now

Here's the SAAMI specs

View attachment 16998
The things that concern me is,

having to run Hornady brass,

History of PRC dies not sizing the cases completely at the .2" mark

This case is almost the exact same capacity as a throated 7mm wsm.

But, since it's a PRC, Lapua and ADG will release brass for it. And if it's really successful, other big manufacturers will start releasing loaded ammo for it. Just gotta wait and find out.

it's not a die problem , it's a chamber spec problem . be sure to get the updated reamer , for a PRC cartridge . Alex Wheeler has an updated reamer for the 6.5 PRC , and I think the 300 PRC too . save yourself a headache , talk to Alex if you decide to go PRC . these updated reamers are available from the reamer company , Alex did not tie them up .

it's not a die problem , it's a chamber spec problem . be sure to get the updated reamer , for a PRC cartridge . Alex Wheeler has an updated reamer for the 6.5 PRC , and I think the 300 PRC too . save yourself a headache , talk to Alex if you decide to go PRC . these updated reamers are available from the reamer company , Alex did not tie them up .
In all honesty, all of that is an awful headache.

Well said

Back