Need a newer small caliber. Any ideas?

Of your choices go with the 243. It is a great all around caliber. It does require one to think about what they are shooting and shot placement. But, if you are replacing a 22-250 this should not be a problem. It also has the best over the counter apeal and rifle selection.

The 240 wby I have will bring a smile to your face. Flat shooting, no recoil, unusual cartridge, of which I like , and a reloaders cartridge, of which I am. Hits hard with authority, like the 25-06, but less recoil. With a 100 grain Partition like mentioned earlier, it's my hog gun.

I have taken numerous game, deer, javelina and varmits with both the 25-06 and the 243. I liked the 25-06 it reached out a little further. The game I have shot could not tell the difference between the two. I like the short action for less weight but them put a huge bull barrel on it! Both rifle are easy to load for if you are going to handload. My 25-06 likes IMR 4350 and the 243 likes H4831sc both use Norma brass and CCI BR primers.

have you looked at 243wssm or 25 wssm i like them both over the original little more speed in both just my input

the 243 is a fantastic caliber,,,i myself have taken many deer over the years with one,,,however the 257 roberts is even a better choice for all around hunting in my state of pa.the 257 with a 100 grain bullet(your choice) is super accurate in taking anything from groundhogs in early spring to monster bucks in december.the 257 ROBERTS is the ideal caliber .just my nickels worth,,,joe

i agree,,,the 257 roberts is the best cartridge,,,with little recoil,,,flat trajectory and over 3,000 fps with 100 grain bullets.myself have executed deer to 300 yards,,,bull elk,,,150 yards,,,javelina,,,85 yards,,,and varmits as far as 200 yards away,,,better than the .243,,,have 2 and shoot them regulary,,,better than the 7mm-08,,,gave it to my son and still reload for it,,,,my choice,,,the 257 roberts in RUGER M77 MARK 2 WITH A LEOPOLD 3-9X 40,,,AND A BI-POD HELPS.THANK YOU FOR READING :p

Back