Need advice to choose a Leupold

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hi Gents,
I am about to buy a new riflescope for my Remington 700 BDL in .270 Winchester cal.
I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to two models.

VX-III 3.5-10 x 40 with Boone & Crockett Reticle
VX-III 4.5-14 x 40 with Boone & Crockett Reticle

I hunt deer sized game only (No Varmint) and normally take my shots between 200 and 350 yds.

I now would like to extend my range to 450 if necessary (and practice a lot to get to it).

I haven't made up my choice on those above models, yet.

That's why I need your comments.

Thank you very much.

Cheers
BlueJay

I have no problem shooting a 6" black bullseye at 500 yds with the VXIII 2.5x8 set at 8x. I also have a Mark 4 4.5x14 which covers any shooting need I would ever have.
Both of the scopes you mentioned are excellent choices.
I would say go with the 4.5x14x40. This is an excellent scope.

JD338

I feel your pain in this choice. A few years ago when they first came out I bought two 3.5 X 10 Leupolds with the B&C reticle. I really liked them. No AO to fool with, great compact size, light weight, great optics, the B&C reticle REALLY worked, etc. I thought I had the best thing going.

Then I won a new rifle in a raffle. While enduring the 10 day waiting period here in CA I went hog hunting with my dad. He had a 4.5 X 14 LR Leupold with the B&C reticle in it. I got to comparing the two scopes and had to admit I liked the 30mm 4.5 X 14 better.

I did not think I wanted a 30mm scope, but after looking at my dad's I was convinced. That 30mm body in those Leupold dual dovetail rings just looked sturdy to me. The optics are superb! The crosshairs stand out better to me than in the 3.5 X 10. The side focus is a good thing as well.

I sold both those 3.5 X 10 scopes and replaced them with 4.5 X 14 LR 40mm models. I like them much better. The scopes are better for my nearly 60 year old eyes and the 14 power is great at long range.

In fact, I now have five of the 4.5 X 14 LR scopes. I have shot wild hogs and black bear at a dead run at under 50 yards when set on 4.5. I have shot deer at a dead run at 200 yards with them set on 4.5. I have shot wild hogs at over 400 yards when set on 14. I have watched my dad shoot antelope at well over 400 yards with his. Great scopes, for sure!

Having said all this, the folks I sold my 3.5 X10 models to are happy as they can be.

Dead on flowers. I have the 1" version on my .338. Instead of the BC I have the Mildot reticle. Great Scope for all the reasons you mentioned.

Blue Jay, you don't loose much in the way of field of view on the bottom end going from a 3.5 to 4.5 power, but you gain 40% in magnification on the top end. If you got the money, and not all of us do, I'd recommend the 30mm LR model mentioned by Flowers. It's hard to go wrong with that scope.

+1 on the 30mm tube. I neglected to mention that my Mark 4 4.5x14x40 has a 30mm tube. This scope is very bright in low light.

JD338

Thanks a bunch for all your quick replies.

I forgot to mention two important "pillars" I need to stick two in doing my choice :

1. Wanto to stick to a 1" tube because I'd like to be able to use my current mount on my Remington and additionally I may swap this scope onto my K95 Blaser rifle in a near future and do not want to buy another mount and rings (which are very expensive.... ).

2. Want to stick to a 40mm objective for the reason mentioned in mark 1 and also because I hunt up high in the mountains and do not like to put a Television :lol: on my slim rifle.

So really my choice comes down to 10X (Versatile) vs 14X (More powerful for longer shots) and the question could be :" Is the 10X well suited for taking a 500 yds. shot on a deer, or would I be better off purchasing a 14X " ?

Also, side focusing is out of the question because it is available on 30 mm tubes only and I do not like the front AO much.

Thanks again for sharing your precious experience and comments.

Bluejay
:wink:

Bluejay,

I favor 1" tubes on a rifle scope as well, but do use 30 mm scopes too.

I have a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X40 with their B&C reticle -- my opinion is it works, and is enough of a good thing. I have shot to 400 yards on a range with my Leupold 1.75-6X40 duplex reticle set at 6X (used the reticle features to hold). No problem with either targets or a 10" gong.

I have not found a need for going over 10X yet, but there is always a new scope waiting. ;)

jim

Bluejay,

10x is more than enough power for hunting deer size game. As I mentioned above, I have no problem shooting a 6" bulls eye at 8x.

JD338

VX-III 4.5-14 x 40 is an excellent scope, I got a VX-III 4.5-14 x 50 LR for target shooting, but for hunting until 250 yds I prefer my Zeiss Varipoint 1,5-6x42, and as JD338 is trying to tell, you do not get more accurate shooting with more magnification.

To prove that I got pic’s from a rainy and windy day at the range (100 m)

First with Leupold LR

LR_Leupold.jpg

Then i switched scope to my Varipoint which has not been on my 6,5x55 barrel yet, so the first two shoots I was clicking

Varipoint.jpg

JD338":3s9804d9 said:
+1 on the 30mm tube. I neglected to mention that my Mark 4 4.5x14x40 has a 30mm tube. This scope is very bright in low light.

JD338

I agree My fave is 4.5x14x40mm

Bluejay, now that you have given me a little more information, the choice is clear. Buy the 3.5 X 10 VX-III with the B&C reticle.

I understand not wanting a 30mm scooe, I felt the same way for a long time. The 3.5X10 is a nice, trim, scope. It will go good on a rifle used to tromp the hills.

In regard to the AO or side focus, they are a MUST on a 14 power scope to me!!! I would not consider buying a 14 power scope made my any manufacturer that did not have an AO or a side focus.

I made some fellow at Leupold made one day when I called them and told them that their 4-12 and 4.5-14 power scopes without an AO or side focus were useless. Those scopes are not focused for me at any range at any power, period. I would not have one for a gift. They may be fine for some 20 year old with perfect vision, but not for me.

If you do not want a 30mm scope and do not like AO's stick with the 3.5 X 10 power scope, it is a fine piece of equipment.

Just something to think about...This year I was glassing a hillside and two draws when all of a sudden a head with antlers appeared sticking out of the brush with a draw between us. I picked out a pine tree and a patch of snow in the general area and finally got a reading of 286 yds. I tried to find him again in the binos. Then I switched over to the gun and 4.5-14 power scope. I was having a hard time finding him in the brush so I turned the power down so I could get him in the crosshairs. I made a high shoulder shot on the buck and he went down immediately. (saw a flash of white belly hair in the scoped 7mag w/brake as he fell sideways). Long story short, when I got back home I realized my scope was set on 6 power. I thought to myself a 3-9 power scope would have worked just as well especially with a b&C or b-plex reticle (in this case). But had the shot been further the target knobs would have been useful, and a higher power scope would make the gun more useful if I ever wanted to use it on long range varmints. Another plus for a scope that is 40 mm or slightly larger is it will sit tighter to the receiver and you can keep your cheeck down tight to the stock like it should be which will help with getting on the animal a little quicker also.

Just something to think about...This year I was glassing a hillside and two draws when all of a sudden a head with antlers appeared sticking out of the brush with a draw between us. I picked out a pine tree and a patch of snow in the general area and finally got a reading of 286 yds. I tried to find him again in the binos. Then I switched over to the gun and 4.5-14 power scope. I was having a hard time finding him in the brush so I turned the power down so I could get him in the crosshairs. I made a high shoulder shot on the buck and he went down immediately. (saw a flash of white belly hair in the scoped 7mag w/brake as he fell sideways). Long story short, when I got back home I realized my scope was set on 6 power. I thought to myself a 3-9 power scope would have worked just as well especially with a b&C or b-plex reticle (in this case). But had the shot been further the target knobs would have been useful, and a higher power scope would make the gun more useful if I ever wanted to use it on long range varmints. Another plus for a scope that is 40 mm or slightly larger is it will sit tighter to the receiver and you can keep your cheeck down tight to the stock like it should be which will help with getting on the animal a little quicker also.

This scope has side paralax adjustment on it but just thinking about it a little now, I think I forgot all about that when I was working on getting the deer in the cross hairs.

Thanks to all for your useful comments.

At this point the "scale" is really pending towards the 3.5x10.
A buddy of mine lent me his VX-II 4-12 x 40 AO to fool with and compare it to my Swarovski 6 x 42 and let me tell you.....this Leupold is a hell of a scope. I made a comparision at dusk with foggish weather @ 300 and 450 meters. At this point I don't really think I need a 50 mm. obj. :lol:

Two more questions for you guys who are familiar with the B&C Reticle :

I assume to get the correct read on the hold points (300-400-450-500) you need to get the scope turned on the highest power setting (in my case it would be 10x). Is this correct ?

Do you know how much space there is in-between the two thick horizontal bars ( ----- ----- ) @ 100 yds. ?
I also assume this read has to be done @ the highest power setting...

Thanks again.

Cheers
:wink:

Bluejay, you are right, the scope needs to be turned up to the highest power with most loads. Read the directions that come with the scope. There are two triangles on the power ring. The one on the highest setting is to be used for most reasonably fast loads. The smaller triangle is the correct setting for slower loads (ie 308 etc.)

On my 7mm Wby Mag I sighted in at 200 yards then shot groups on paper at 100 yards using the 300 and 400 yard lines in the scope. I went home and measured the groups to find the center and how much above zero each had impacted. I found my scope was quite close. The Sierra ballistic progam suggested that based on where my bullets impacted, the lines were on at 305 and 405 yards. Closer than I can shoot, to be sure.

If you have a very fast rifle like a .257 Wby Mag you sight in at 300 yards instead of 200. Then when you use the B&C reticle with the adjustment turned to the highest power, the lines are on at 400, 500 550, and 600 yards.

I believe that you said you were going to put the scope on a 270 Winchester. Sight in for 200 yards (about 1.5 inches high at 100) and the 300, 400, 450, and 500 yard marks should be quite close for you.

But do not listen to me, read the stuff that comes with the scope and use the CD that comes with it. Put it in your computer and it will explain all this for you. Even has some examples where you can practice using the right lines for drop and windage.

Enjoy!

I would chose the 4.5x14x50 30mm myself. I own one and it's great. I have several other leupolds with both 30mm and 1" tubes. I prefer the 30mm because they are better for dusk and dawn situations when light gathering is a problem. A bit more expensive with the 30mm tube and 50 mil bell but i think it's worth it.

I would rather have too much magnification and not need it than have not enough and need it.

DITTO gunny1

I never have quite understood the downside to "too much capability and too high a quality". I have never suffered from too much magnification as long as I carried the scope at the lower settings. My only regret is that I didn't go with the 30mm tubes. But as they say "wait till next time by golly"
Good Hunting

Elkhunt :grin:

Back